benefit of ranks (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
What about if your coming second? i.e. Business Studies tied 2nd by 3% (88%-91%), Economics tied 2nd by 4% (86-90%)
Depends on the range of exam marks and if there are any outlier clusters of people. But let's say the exam marks are spread out from 95 down to 75, then you would receive around 93-ish depending on the mean of your marks. If you're in a school where marks are volatile, then it will be hard to guess. For eco, it would be close to the highest mark as well, seeing as 4% is a very small margin.

If someone came last in the HSC for their school, would they get the lowest moderated internal mark?

Say I got the 20th highest exam mark in the HSC, would that mean I take the 20th highest moderated internal mark?
The lowest rank person will generally receive the lowest HSC exam mark for their moderated assessment mark, but if the average is still too low, then it might be raised.

No, that does not happen. A very common misconception. You do not get the x highest mark if you are x placed. Just remove that idea from your head, please.

To put it into perspective, you are ranked 20th in these two situations. If you are 5% behind first place, that is much better than being 20% behind first place. Yet you are still 20th ranked. Rank doesn't put your mark into perspective. You get a mark based on your school performance, adjusted/moderated by how well your cohort performed in the HSC exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)