Benefits of History Extension (1 Viewer)

AztecWarrior

HSC
Hey,

Just wondering what the benefits of History Extension are and if it is worth it doing it???
I love history but am nervous of the big Investigation task thingy.

Thanks for the help :)

D94

HSC
N/A
"Benefits" is hardly the terminology you should be using when doing HSC subjects...

Tell me what are the benefits of the other subjects you are doing.

It's worth doing it if you interested in learning about history - different to learning history. E.g. is Marxist history less valid because it has been politicised? Is history subjective or objective? Can history even be objective?

crowley926

HSC
Well Hist Ext requires way more critical thought than Ancient or Modern and you have to really explore and develop your own philosophical opinions on things like D94 has mentioned but if you love history then I think you'll enjoy it because it really is quite an interesting course. So benefit: enhancing your critical thought skills would be useful for literally anything as it makes you more perceptive + good skill for university studies.

Also don't worry about the major. If you choose a topic you like and would be willing to do ~9 months worth of research on, then it'll honestly be fine and maybe even fun (I did mine on American Revolution which I love and I really enjoyed writing the major). Make sure your question isn't too difficult that you struggle to come up with a coherent response but also don't make it too simple that you can't reach the word limit. Just actually get started ASAP and don't leave it last minute to avoid stress but also to get your teacher to mark it. Benefit: my teacher said that this type of research is "the closest thing to university research that you will conduct in high school" so again, good prep but also the flexibility is great because it can literally be about anything you want.

Hist Ext is a great subject and if you put the work in then you will really enjoy it + benefit from it a lot

buriza

conviction
HSC
It's good if you have a genuine interest in history. It will also likely give you an ATAR boost if you have put in consistent effort. However it is important to note that this course tends to be more about how others have interpreted history rather than the events themselves.

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
HA! I did it non-stop the two days before and topped lol. But yes, very good advice to do in Christmas holidays. VERYVERYVERYVERY wise
Maybe that says something about your cohort lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)