Benefits/problems of using radioisotopes (1 Viewer)

nesstar

I need some help with this dot point:

Analyse the benefits and problems associated with the use of radioisotopes in identified industries and medicine

If someone could fill me in, that would be very much appreciated.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
As an example, consider the use of Tc-99m for diagnostic imaging in medicince:

Benefit: allows diagnosis of disease
relatively non-invasive
imaging allows better targetting in surgical interventions (eg. you can surgically remove a tumour with less exploration if you know exactly where it is)

Problem: radiation exposure for patient
Stray radiation exposure to others (doctors, nurses, relatives, ...)
production requires a nuclear reactor, which is expensive / a potential terrorist target / makes Greenpeace unhappy, ...

etc...

nesstar

CM_Tutor said:
production requires a nuclear reactor, which is expensive / a potential terrorist target / makes Greenpeace unhappy, ...etc...
LOL

CM_Tutor....thanks heaps...so is it better for this point to use examples in order to explain it rather than generalisations then??

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You have to be specific - benefits and problems can be different for different cases, and dot point says "in identified industries and medicine", which to me implies specific cases.

For example, iodine isotopes are generally &beta;-emitters. This is a problem when <sup>123</sup>I is used for imaging, because &beta; radiation can destroy tissue, but it is a major reason for using <sup>131</sup>I for treatment, when tissue destruction is the goal (the problem becomes the inadvertant destruction of healthy tissue).

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Also a lot of the radioisotopes used in diagnostic medicine have short half-lives -> cannot be stored and so have to be made nearby or on site (ie. hospitals -> safety precautions).

Then there is the disposal of nuclear wastes.

Yeah and basically what CM_Tutor said about causing biological damage, eg. DNA mutations, killing healthy cells, etc.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You need a nuclear reactor to produce the molybdenum-99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)