• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BEng (Mining) (1 Viewer)

Jazz99

HSC
N/A
Hey i'm in year 12 and would really like to do a BEng Mining at UNSW. I've heard it's the top engineering school and looks like a nice uni too. Trouble is i didn't do EX 1 maths, physics or chem. I did do Math 2 unit.

If i did get in, would i go horribly compared to everyone else (come last), even if i did the bridging courses and tried 100%? i know it must be a very demanding degree in the math and physics components so i guess my confidence is lacking.

thanks

p.s i'm not doing it for the money...i really do want to work in remote areas/oil rigs

Last edited:

elfm

HSC
uni maths starts with 4 unit maths from the very first week, so unless you did 4 unit maths you're going to be disadvantaged anyway. for most people i know, they've gotten by with 2 unit + bridging course very easily. the only thing you really need is determination, because they do a decent job at teaching you all the stuff you need to know in lectures so if you keep up with them, you should be fine

bridging courses usually cover most of the important stuff, so be sure to pay attention in them :)

however, if you're struggling in 2 unit maths i don't recommend that you do any form of engineering unless you're just not trying at the moment.

Last edited:

Jazz99

HSC
N/A
I am doing well in math and feel confident with it all. But i guess i wouldn't be alone if most of the people you know got by with 2unit maths plus bridging course and are doing 'very easily'.

Do you know if anyone in engineering does the MATH1011 General Maths as a preparatory course before doing MATH1131 Mathematics 1A?

thanks

elfm

HSC
lol by 'very easily' i mean they probably got a pass or a credit... which is a fairly decent mark i guess (the credit)

i've never heard of anyone doing general maths at all. most people don't waste their time and are happy enough with a pass or credit.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Don't worry, you're good. They took only took 1u of my 3u worth of math, and I didn't do physics or chem. Just be willing to work once you get to uni. You'll soon learn that passing math is just memorising past papers.

Jazz99

HSC
N/A
i never thought it would be easy for me. the maths is going to be very complicated and i'd have to work my hardest to get by on a pass or maybe a credit if i'm lucky. thanks for the tip on memorising math papers, if it works for you i'll definitely give it a go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)