Best Aussie Law School??? (1 Viewer)

Chixidol

HSC
Well,i was thinking about Australia as my next study destination,but i am kinda confused that which is the BEST AUSTRALIAN LAW SCHOOL :) .(I was aiming at Australian National University but many of my friends told that it is having a poor Law Department and is a far better research Institute and that i should consider University of Melbourne)But after spending hours and hours of net surfing,i am still unable to have the respective information.Therefore,any help in this aspect will be much appreciated.OO Yeah,not mentioning the Sydney Institutes where the completion of a bachelor programme is a prerequisite for an LLB degree.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Please!

Have you not seen the hatred, bile and absurd irrationality into which debates here on these questions descend? This question cannot be objectively answered by anyone here. If you want information, do some research to find out which uni will click with your personal tastes better. Remember, curriculum is generally standard: everyone basically has to do the Priestly Eleven plus electives, so you're going to have to make your mind up based on different factors.

Go and have a squiz at some of the threads in which the reps of the different unis here cross swords - it can get ugly, personal and very little of it I think would be of assistance to you.

But, that said, I'm sure there will be interesting dicussion/ranting/defaming on this thread in response to your post ... :)

Good luck choosing a uni :)

(My one piece of advice is to not place any credence whatsoever in any ranking list or league table the purports to rank institutions - the methodology is always faulty - seriously.)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
there is no best.

the law medallist of UWS could easily pwn my UNSW/UTS-bred ass in most areas of the law quicker than you can say "may it please the court".

thus, shy away from this "best" questioning.

highly recommended in NSW, however:

USyd, UNSW, ANU, UTS, UoW, UWS (if you work hard)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I might add that if you are good enough to get into a law degree at any uni, you should be intelligent enough work hard and learn effectively, and therefore, the actual uni you attend won't really have that much of an influence on how much you learn.

ManlyChief

HSC
Frigid said:
there is no best.

the law medallist of UWS could easily pwn my UNSW/UTS-bred ass in most areas of the law quicker than you can say "may it please the court".

thus, shy away from this "best" questioning.

highly recommended in NSW, however:

USyd, UNSW, ANU, UTS, UoW, UWS (if you work hard)
Out of interest, I know UNSW doesn't award hons in law, but do they still award a medal/medals?

... ps - not recommending Macq???? :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ManlyChief said:
Out of interest, I know UNSW doesn't award hons in law, but do they still award a medal/medals?

i dun think they award LMs either (besides, it's out of the equation for my lowly 70s marks)

haven't heard of superhard ppl from Macq... except for maybe Sandra Egger :D

ManlyChief

HSC
Frigid said:
i dun think they award LMs either (besides, it's out of the equation for my lowly 70s marks)

haven't heard of superhard ppl from Macq... except for maybe Sandra Egger :D
I think my marks in law are shite too ...

That Egger lass looks friendly. And I love the 'sexual frustration purple' colour scheme your faculty has adopted for the website :D No, seriously, I like. :)

Chixidol

HSC
Minai said:
I might add that if you are good enough to get into a law degree at any uni, you should be intelligent enough work hard and learn effectively, and therefore, the actual uni you attend won't really have that much of an influence on how much you learn.
hmmm :rolleyes: Exactly

well honestly speaking i am considering ANU or Melbourne for LLB.If the same was the condition with u, what would have been your PRIORITY and why????Please give some logical reasons not mentioning that i would consider UNIMELB coz i live in Melbourne or just because the chicks are hot here. :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
ManlyChief said:
And I love the 'sexual frustration purple' colour scheme your faculty has adopted for the website
Purple relates to royalty!

I suppose sexually frustrated royalty hehe

ManlyChief

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Purple relates to royalty!

I suppose sexually frustrated royalty hehe
Ahh ... so not only are you prancing about here using formal royal pronouns (see other thread) but now you are draping yourself in swathes of imperial purple... I fear you are trying to userp the throne, sir, and as a good constitutional monarchist and loyal servant of Her Majesty - her liege man of life and limb, one might say - I feel it is my duty to challenge you to a duel to confirm the Queen's honour.

Shall we say swords at Manly wharf at dawn, tomorrow? Then afterwards we can have coffee at Gloria Jeans ... :)

I'm so excited!

Chixidol

HSC
ManlyChief said:

I know it sounds stupid,but really i do not have any clue,that what is the real difference between LLB and LLB honours?????

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Chixidol said:
Well,i was thinking about Australia as my next study destination,but i am kinda confused that which is the BEST AUSTRALIAN LAW SCHOOL :) .(I was aiming at Australian National University but many of my friends told that it is having a poor Law Department and is a far better research Institute and that i should consider University of Melbourne)But after spending hours and hours of net surfing,i am still unable to have the respective information.Therefore,any help in this aspect will be much appreciated.OO Yeah,not mentioning the Sydney Institutes where the completion of a bachelor programme is a prerequisite for an LLB degree.
I can't help but to suspect that you are trying to start things. If you are overseas student, why would you want to know Australian law?

Although I have my own views, I will reserve them.

Suffice to say, Melbourne Uni and ANU are very well-regarded unis in Australia (and yes, that is to say that some unis are not AS well-regarded but I will not go into a discussion about what they are).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Chixidol said:
I know it sounds stupid,but really i do not have any clue,that what is the real difference between LLB and LLB honours?????
in short, good marks and (in some unis) a research thesis as elective.

Chixidol

HSC
Frigid said:
in short, good marks and (in some unis) a research thesis as elective.
hmm...thesis
If there is a four year programme then you are oblige to submit your thesis by the end of every year/semester or you have to submit your thesis at the end of your programme.Signing Out,Respect.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Chixidol said:
hmm...thesis
If there is a four year programme then you are oblige to submit your thesis by the end of every year/semester or you have to submit your thesis at the end of your programme.Signing Out,Respect.
LLB (Hons) is not a four year programme (you're from the UK, i presume?). doing honours will not lengthen your degree by a year, as in other degrees.

the graduate LLB programme is 3 years. the thesis is done as a subject within your last semester.

the undergraduate combined LLB program is 5 years and the same applies with respect to the thesis.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I'll just add that that UOW has a 4 year undergrad program that includes an honours thesis or the PLT course.

Not that Im recommending going there for an overseas student.....for an overseas student I would recommend ANU, Usyd or UMelb......the only Australian unis that are really recognised overseas (in terms of the names being recognisable, not the courses).

HSC
My question is, what were Frigid and Chixidol doing up at 6.24am this morning to be on boredofstudies?!?! ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Chixidol said:
Please give some logical reasons not mentioning that i would consider UNIMELB coz i live in Melbourne or just because the chicks are hot here. :)
most if not all of us are from Sydney.

but the chicks are hot there.

santaslayer

HSC
Frigid said:
most if not all of us are from Sydney.

but the chicks are hot there.
I forget, but I think there is a 4 yr LLB for people who are 25 years or older. Not sure if that is the one Ms12 is referring to though.

If you are interested, you can browse through the most recent research/survey the Australian Federal Government conducted, primarily on teaching standards. The top few tertiary institutions are (or were) to be given a substantial amount of money as a reward (?)

I understand that some of us here have voiced their rejection with regards to surveys, but I just thought the thread starter may be interested. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)