Somethin' special....
HSC
Ive done Australian Constitutional Law....this semester actually

What year of your degree are you in?

Chixidol

HSC
bearpooh said:
BTW, have you looked at the UK unis ?

OO Yeah,i have gone through the English Universities but they are a lil bit difficult to get in with very high fees and living in LONDON surely breaks the bank,lot of laughters,and job prospects in UK for lawyers is not much since there is an overflow of lawyers there.Nonetheless,English universities are surely better than Australian as far as education is concerned,talking about London Universities institutes and Oxbridge they can no way be compared to Australian Universities.

Chixidol

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Id love to finish off my law degree in the UK but unfortunately it wouldn't be easily translated back over here and I wouldn't actually recieve my degree from the UK uni cos ive done more than half of it in Australia
May i ask which English institute will you be leaving for??

05er

HSC
bearpooh said:
All that you have to do extra is an Australian Federal Constitutional Law course. Have a look at the Law Practitioners Admission Board rules on UK degrees.

I have arranged to do this in the next semester. So if I go to the UK at the end of next year, I wont have to do any extra stuff to get my academic law training recognised here.
Bloody Mr BP and his UK degrees :rolleyes:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Chixidol said:
May i ask which English institute will you be leaving for??
I haven't applied to any yet, but I can get straight into Lancaster, Sheffield or Southampton....the unis UOW has an agreement with....other than that Id have to compete for my place like everyone else, and quite frankly I don't think my marks are competitive enough at all.

prosaic

HSC
Bearpooh (or Ms 12, or anyone who knows):

how could you already have "everything set up" to "finish" your degree over there in 2nd year. I wasn't aware that UNSW law school had any sort of partnership with Oxford or Cambridge...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
prosaic said:
how could you already have "everything set up" to "finish" your degree over there in 2nd year. I wasn't aware that UNSW law school had any sort of partnership with Oxford or Cambridge...
me neither... perhaps they might have advanced standing to transfer and award LLB over there, but somehow i doubt it.

i've asked about law exchange at Oxford for a term though. :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
prosaic said:
Bearpooh (or Ms 12, or anyone who knows):

Ok I don't really understand the question. Number 1, I don't go to UNSW so Im not aware of any of which unis they have exchange agreements with, but like I said, at UOW its Lancaster, Sheffield and Southhampton. Which means, if you decided you want to go overseas for a semester or a year, you just have to satisfy your own uni's exchange requirements and you're guaranteed a place. But I only have one more substantive year left of my law degree anyway, hence the 'finishing it off' over there if I were to go for a year.

As far as enrolling directly in Oxford or Cambridge outright, I guess its just like changing unis altogether...you'd have to gain admission (either as a domestic student if you plan on citizenship or as an international student in which case you'll pay mindblowing fees) like everyone else (ie Oxford and Cambridge are gonna be very tough).

Like I said above, I haven't organised anything, I have only looked into it as an option for 2nd semester next year.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Ms 12 said:
Ok I don't really understand the question. Number 1, I don't go to UNSW so Im not aware of any of which unis they have exchange agreements with, but like I said, at UOW its Lancaster, Sheffield and Southhampton. Which means, if you decided you want to go overseas for a semester or a year, you just have to satisfy your own uni's exchange requirements and you're guaranteed a place. But I only have one more substantive year left of my law degree anyway, hence the 'finishing it off' over there if I were to go for a year.

As far as enrolling directly in Oxford or Cambridge outright, I guess its just like changing unis altogether...you'd have to gain admission (either as a domestic student if you plan on citizenship or as an international student in which case you'll pay mindblowing fees) like everyone else (ie Oxford and Cambridge are gonna be very tough).

Like I said above, I haven't organised anything, I have only looked into it as an option for 2nd semester next year.
Oxford/Cambridge are not that hard to get in... especially if you applied directly from VCE/HSC with a nice ENTER/UAI.

The law degree requires you to sit an exam. The economics degree basically just wants to see your Year 12 mark...

The problem for us is... we need to apply 12 months in advance of the intake date. In other words... say you will be 1st year in 2006...

You cannot apply for the 2007 October in take because you need to have applied a year earlier. It's already November now.

So that means you need to apply for the 2008 intake.

Ok so you've just wasted a whopping 2 years even if you get in. And what's the best thing... o they don't allow credit transfer.

WHOPPING ARROGANCE... even Harvard allows transfer of credit... silly UK unis.

phrred

HSC
my friend got 99.8 and he got barred from both so he went to edinburugh howeva u spell it

santaslayer

HSC
bearpooh said:
1. You cant apply to both Cambridge and Oxford in the same cycle.
If you try that, you get dropped by both.

2. The UAI is only factor. They have their own tests
For law, you do the LNAT, for history you do the HAT etc.
Perhaps your friend did poorly in these

3. The LNAT is hard and demanding.
There are 10 pieces to read and 30 very subtle questions on the pieces.
You then do a 40 minute analytical essay on a topic.

4. The interviews appear to matter hugely at Cambridge and Oxford. At the interviews, they give you problems to solve, related to your subject.
For law they get you to discuss issues in legal philosophy, contract law, criminal law, torts, human rights law, constitutional law etc for around 45 minutes. In english they give you pieces to read and then ask you to analyse the content, syntax and style.

4. Edinburgh is ok. But hardly worth going to the UK for.
(Unless you are doing medicine. Edinburgh is famous for medicine )
Mr Bearpooh, can you clarify point number one please? Why would both unis drop you? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)