best car to buy at around $7000 (1 Viewer)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
im not sure if this is the right forum room to post but im looking for a second hand car at around $7000, what car model and should i look for .i think i would go for hatchback or a sedan(toyota), fuel efficient too. I have no idea which kind of car cos its gona be my first car.

anyone got any suggestions?

SlipStream

HSC
If you repost this in the "cars" thread then we'll be able to lend you a hand there. :)

HSC
mitsubishi - lancer coupe. lots of first time car buyers i know have htem, reliable, not too old, stylish, fuel efficient. and of course, just because im a fucking wog, fully sic habib.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
insurance for the lancer coupe = way high... sumones obviously blown everyones cover, now the insurance ppl know that its a popular car for n00b teenage drivers

SlipStream

HSC
Oh yeh and before people start attacking, by $7000 I mean a nice 1997 or 98 model. Not the flawed 94, 95 models. :)

SlipStream

HSC
Hey! When people ask me what they should buy to get from A to B, the late model Excel is the first thing I suggest to them.

(That's most girls, yeh)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Never EVER buy an excel.

EVER.

They're throw away cars, if theres a problem (like runnign out of fuel) you're meant to throw them away and buy another. The engine bay is so compact that it takes a days work to dismantle the engine. Plus, because they're crappy throw away cars, the parts are difficult to find. If you buy one, the mechanics bill will be big (well, bigger compared to the already huge mechanics bills). People treat them like they're going to last forever. They won't.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Argonaut said:
Hey, I got a 1993 Daihatsu Charade for $5400 and there's nothing wrong with it (and I've had it checked over thoroughly).

Plus, it only costs me $25/month in petrol (drive to and from work or school almost every day).
they go pretty hard for such small cars :uhhuh:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Argonaut said:
Yeah mine's even better tahn average because the muso I bought it from also happens to be a car nut and tweaked the engine a little which explains the higher-than-average price tage.
niice.
you got a "full sick" sports exhaust?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Argonaut said:
because he was doing Khanacross and Motorkhanas in his spare time.
i have no idea what those are :p

and stop changing ur av!!!!!! :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I recommend a 1970's volvo it will cost you about $500 and do 600 km to a 60l tank.

As this isn't really what you're looking for though here are some others:

A suzuki mighty boy - reliable, zippy and really funny little utes. With 3 cylinders and 900cc of raw power. They have same cylinder size as Formula 1 cars at 300cc which is the most efficient size.

Not a lancer because evrone has one and they all look 'fully-sik'.

A mazda of some desciption would be good.

Hyuindai excels are alright up until about 125000 km then they start to get problems - though its also to do with how you drive them.

SlipStream

HSC
jumb said:
Never EVER buy an excel.

EVER.

They're throw away cars, if theres a problem (like runnign out of fuel) you're meant to throw them away and buy another. The engine bay is so compact that it takes a days work to dismantle the engine. Plus, because they're crappy throw away cars, the parts are difficult to find. If you buy one, the mechanics bill will be big (well, bigger compared to the already huge mechanics bills). People treat them like they're going to last forever. They won't.
Hard to find parts?!? What?? I always suggest the Excel because the damn things are EVERYWHERE and parts are so cheap and easy to get for em!!

I agree that the Excel is a disposable, but only after 200 000 kms. Then you palm it off to some gullable kid for a few grand. But other than that, you can pick up a nice late nineties model Excel with 85 000 or so kays on it for around $6k. They cost nothing to run, parts are cheap and they're reliability is all right.

We haven't reached the age of disposable cars YET. I give it a decade. We still haven't caught up to the European industry. You'd be hard-pressed to find a car over 20 years old because the government (namely Germany) forces the manufacturers to buy the older cars back and get rid of them.

And whoever said I was talking about eraly-nineties Suzukis or whatever it was, I was talking about early-nineties Lancers...

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
i bought my car nissan nx-r for 6,500.....
i think they would be better than n excel..... price wise. (well sum are more expensive than that)
plus u can take off the roofs (targa top)...
comes with a better engine (SR20) than a hyundai...
fuel wise.... when i bought it it was excellent..... but now chewing coz i need a service
the only thing a hyundai wuld b better in would be cheaper parts and more back room....
herd it has alot of backseat room

SlipStream

HSC
A Nissan Exer?

I've seen some poor examples that have had the absolute fuck flogged out of them.

Steer well clear of those ones, but there are some nice examples out there.

Just not very practical when you want to take all the fellas home after a party.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
7 grand you could get a nice ST162. Nice little toyota celica, toyota's never die and are pretty good on feul.

Uhm, a toyota cressida, great cars for the money...

Also you could get a Holden commodore VL, great cars for about 6-7 grand..

There are so many, do yourself a favour and go on www.carsales.com.au and go to used cars, private sellers. and type in your desired options.

SlipStream

HSC
Get a small car.

Most advice you'll get from me! I'm so tired...

Out of DaddyK's suggestions, the Celica is the only worthy contender to your $$$.

Still, not something I'd suggest but it is an OK car if you're into slow sportscars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)