Best Commerce Major for Commerce/Advance Maths (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The best Commerce major is the one you're most interested in. Simple.

Bobbo1

HSC
I'd rather balance my interest with something that can bring home a salary than something while I'm solely interested in...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay, that's true. Then you go through the Handbook and you look at what you're interested in. Don't just look at the descriptions, but also look at the subjects you have to do as part of that major.

K

khorne

There are two jobs in finance

the human centipede jobs, where youre stitched on the end of a long chain of MDs, VPs, Associates and analysts and continually eat and generate shit

and the fun jobs where you actually do something mentally challenging.

Bobbo1

HSC
There are two jobs in finance

the human centipede jobs, where youre stitched on the end of a long chain of MDs, VPs, Associates and analysts and continually eat and generate shit

and the fun jobs where you actually do something mentally challenging.
which are?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst crude, khorne does summarise it quite well. A lot of "finance" jobs in my view, are very similar to the cliched and stereotyped accounting jobs. There are some genuinely different and interesting finance jobs (i.e. the ones which actually pay well) but they're the ones which are much rarer and harder to get into.

Bobbo1

HSC
Ok, out of actuarial and finance, which one is the better option?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well do you like Actuarial? Because if you're going to do Actuarial with no passion for it - then heh, good luck.

Bobbo1

HSC
I reckon I can cope with it, just wondering whether it will be worth the effort once I get to the other end?....Or just own finance?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well the thing is Actuarial is a very difficult major - from what I've seen of it, most people scrape passes.

Personally, I'd go with Finance if you have to pick between the two - because if you don't like Actuarial, then I severely doubt if you'll have the perseverance to last if you don't even like the subject.

Bobbo1

HSC
Ok guess I'll go for the Ds and HDs in Finance than scrape passes in Actuarial :)

K

khorne

Also I dont get why everyone goes in banking/finance

Is there really that large an amount of people who are into it? Like honestly? I run my own (very successful if i do say so, which will one day pay off all my hecs) stock portfolio, but let me tell you, I think it'd be HELL doing anything related as a living.

Do people want the money? Because there is very few (CEOs, CFOs and thats it) in banking who are rich. Sure bankers get paid a bit (although the wages are lower in Aus compared to say, NY), but after all the hours of effort and the slogging, it's hardly worth it for a maccas wage per hour. In general, the people who work and put effort in become rich, not the ones who chase the money.

Idk what your motives are for this, maybe you do like it, who knows. But I will say this. Bankers don't drive lambos. And if one ever did drive one, will he be any happier driving his lambo on the way home at 2am after a nasty night writing up pitchbooks than the guy who did what he likes, make 60k a year and comes home at 6pm to a happy family and kids. You tell me.

Bobbo1

HSC
Don't see why I shouldn't do this degree, did pretty good in 4U and economics. As for the 'hours and effort' you can probably find this in any job - lawyers have to go through some long hours before they gain a comfortable lifestyle; doctors have it pretty crappy as interns and have overtime and around the hours call; accountants and desk jobs have work which they take home etc etc. It's just a matter of finding a balance which you find comfortable.

Last edited:
K

khorne

no

i dont think u understand

doctors have it easy as interns...you work 40 hours rostered, and maybe overtime, so lets call it 55 hours a week on a heavy night

and get paid 70k straight out of uni

trying to get into finance: you will need epic marks, then do hours of arse kissing, networking etc, then work 80-100 hour weeks. i honestly dont think you realise what it involves. im simply stating that since you auto asked for salary, you're in it for the money, but will end up necking yourself before you even reach big time if thats all you are in it for.

Bobbo1

HSC
Thinking of doing finance since I'll be doing quantitative risk for my maths major. But which major is best in terms of job prospects, lifestyle, salary etc etc?

Thanks in advance
Didn't only ask for money as you say mate...

K

khorne

idc m8

you're not gonna make it

want da highlyf

im livin it

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)