Best course for programming? (1 Viewer)

tedelex06

HSC
well, im wondering f anyone could tell me, what is the best (or one of the better) courses to do if i want to end up with a job in programming (software).

im mainly interested in games programming (NOT design), but i figure that its probably best to get a general programming-ish degree wich leaves my options open, then work for a few years, get some refrences and apply at a games house. dont laugh, im not one of those teenage boys who plays video games and is like "oh, i like to play them, so im going to make them. its just like playing them...". i have programming experience, so limit the flaming.

help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Zen.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you don't care about design do a 6 month tafe course move to India and enjoy being paid $5/hr.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
i would appeciate a useful response
That was a useful response. Software is all about design, and in particular OO which is by far the dominant paradigm nowadays. If you enjoy programming chances are you'll not be averse to the design stuff at uni that goes hand in hand with it. Do a Bachelor of IT or a Bachelor of Computer Science.

Affinity

HSC
well, im wondering f anyone could tell me, what is the best (or one of the better) courses to do if i want to end up with a job in programming (software).

im mainly interested in games programming (NOT design), but i figure that its probably best to get a general programming-ish degree wich leaves my options open, then work for a few years, get some refrences and apply at a games house. dont laugh, im not one of those teenage boys who plays video games and is like "oh, i like to play them, so im going to make them. its just like playing them...". i have programming experience, so limit the flaming.

help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Zen.
Computer science course at a reputable univeristy picking hardcore subjects + have your own projects.

Doubling up with mathematics is probably useful too given that modern games usually requires some maths to work out the graphics and physics

HSC
for hsc subjects,

u should choose software design develpoment (SDD)
or information proccess tech (IPT)

make sure u hav a good teacher or u wont learn anythin

n learnin to program is hard unless u tryin to learn real basic or some really easy thing

dvse

HSC
N/A
The best degree for games programming is honours in pure maths + a computer science minor.

Last edited:

Ben1220

HSC
The best degree for games programming is honours in pure maths + a computer science minor.
whew!! That would be one hardcore game developer...

You're probably right though, computer graphics uses alot of maths, and on top of that, most areas of computer science use maths, and some such as Algorithm analysis and Theory of computation use alot of maths... Graph theory, Combinatorics... Discrete Maths

dvse

HSC
N/A
whew!! That would be one hardcore game developer...
Game development is way more challenging than the vast majority of business programming, especially if one is working on core code.

dumarab

HSC
Most unis don't have a "programming course"

Developing software is far more complex then just "programming"

Ben1220

HSC

Yep, you can pick up basic programming skills by yourself in a few weeks if you want to, or even in a tafe course or 4 week course. Software Engineering includes things about project management, working in teams, software testing and so on... Computer Science on the other hand is much much more then just programming. Its the science behind computing, so there is a lot more theory in wide ranging areas, including the theory of computation, discrete mathematics and combinatorics, analysis of algorithms, Information theory, Networking, graph theory, computer graphics, artificial intelligence and intelligent agents, distrubuted computing, cluster and grid computing... Some areas of computer science overlap considerably with mathematics

dvse

HSC
N/A

Actually this is a fiction that university departments like to tell...

Developing most software is indeed little more than "programming" together with a few vague rules of thumb. If you could teach yourself to program on your own, then doing a computing degree is a waste of time - you will easily pick up all the concepts in a matter of days/weeks. After a computer science / software engineering etc degree you will be able to do little else but to "develop" software - a remarkably boring and monotonous activity.

If you want not to "develop software" but to do cool things with computers, mathematics is the only way to go.

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
I recommend doing a Computer Science Degree. Now UOW is a pretty well known uni for its informatics course, which include comp sci, soft eng, IT etc.
With uow comp sci you can do a major in games design. If you want to be safe and also have additional knowledge for another field of computing or something different like maths, arts, commerce etc you can do a double major, so its pretty flexible.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Monash University offers a Bachelor of Information Technology and Systems that allows you to major in Multimedia Games Development.
But I'm not sure how focused that is on programming, you'd have to do your own research there!

HSC
for hsc subjects,

u should choose software design develpoment (SDD)
or information proccess tech (IPT)

make sure u hav a good teacher or u wont learn anythin

n learnin to program is hard unless u tryin to learn real basic or some really easy thing
you mainly need ext 1 maths to get into computer science. But SDD is part of the recommended subjects, IPT is just useless in this case.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
both SDD and IPT are completely useless.

on SDD:

* Most of it is boring, outdated, and irrelevant at least until you've worked for a couple years (who needs know to know about the 'water fall model'? who's going to understand it or care until you've actually done a bit of software development at a large company (you wont find small companies using it), even then it's only a minuscule subset of software development that most people studying in or working in software will never use!).
* Why only teach sorting algorithms with O(n^2) complexity? they're not interesting at all.
* Most SDD teachers are morons who doesn't know the difference between java and javascript. being taught about software by them might be damaging to your learning
* being a good programmer relies on being intelligent more than the average career[1], SDD is just going to dumb you down, it doesn't attract the right kind of people to computing degrees, in fact, it'll just discourage people with half a brain on their heads from even consider computing.
* it seems standard for SDD to recommend people to use VB or pascal...WHY???? VB (except .NET) is horrible, and pascal is hardly ever used anymore, not even in academic circles which is where you might see other near dead languages lurking, but they're usually more interesting languages than pascal
* Needs more LINUX. I didn't touch linux until uni, but it's a much more friendly environment programming environment[2]

[1] unfortunately it also relies less on social skills than the average career, so you get more awkward people :(
[2] but linux has a less friendly user environment in most cases

I took a programming subject in high school in the US and absolutely loved it and was almost sure I was going to study computer science. after doing SDD in the HSC, I nearly changed my mind! but now i'm glad I didn't.

so in short, stay away from both IPT and SDD because they'll probably discourage you from doing programming at uni. take harder maths subject, do some science subjects, maybe even business or economics.
</rant>

Last edited:
HSC

on SDD:

* Most of it is boring, outdated, and irrelevant at least until you've worked for a couple years (who needs know to know about the 'water fall model'? who's going to understand it or care until you've actually done a bit of software development at a large company (you wont find small companies using it), even then it's only a minuscule subset of software development that most people studying in or working in software will never use!).
* Why only teach sorting algorithms with O(n^2) complexity? they're not interesting at all.
* Most SDD teachers are morons who doesn't know the difference between java and javascript. being taught about software by them might be damaging to your learning
* being a good programmer relies on being intelligent more than the average career[1], SDD is just going to dumb you down, it doesn't attract the right kind of people to computing degrees, in fact, it'll just discourage people with half a brain on their heads from even consider computing.
* it seems standard for SDD to recommend people to use VB or pascal...WHY???? VB (except .NET) is horrible, and pascal is hardly ever used anymore, not even in academic circles which is where you might see other near dead languages lurking, but they're usually more interesting languages than pascal
* Needs more LINUX. I didn't touch linux until uni, but it's a much more friendly environment programming environment[2]

[1] unfortunately it also relies less on social skills than the average career, so you get more awkward people :(

I took a programming subject in high school in the US and absolutely loved it and was almost sure I was going to study computer science. after doing SDD in the HSC, I nearly changed my mind! but now i'm glad I didn't.

so in short, stay away from both IPT and SDD because they'll probably discourage you from doing programming at uni. take harder maths subject, do some science subjects, maybe even business or economics.
</rant>
+1

i agree fully with this statement, but SDD discourages me because of my teacher. Repped.

tedelex06

HSC

on SDD:

</rant>

couldnt agree more. im currently in year 11 (have done SDD for a year now) and my teacher literally teaches us out of the book, hes trying to teach the class VB6 using outdated methods and being irritating in general.

one of hte kids asked the difference between VB6 and VB.NET and he answered "VB6 is old and VB.NET is the newer version, thats the only difference"
i laughed and he sent me out lol.

anyway... im not sure i made myself clear, when i say im not interested in design i mean i am not interested in game design (storyline, level design, 3d art, etc), what i am interested in is engine programming really.

and web programming aswell. either .NET or LAMP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)