Best exercises to lose weight (1 Viewer)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
from what everyone says its all about calories in and out.

if you eat x amount of calories in food, you gotta work off more than x to lose weight.

id say the best way of losing weight is cardio stuff, such as skipping, running, jogging, moonwalking, physical moving around stuff.

Jiga

Running, lots and lots and lots and lots of running (IMO its the easiest excercise but you may get bored). This along with cutting your calorie intake down = weight loss :wave:

pete_mate

HSC
think about it in terms of physics

in weightlifitng you do a lot of "work" large amount of weight times by distance

though your only doing this for a small period of time.

In running your using the largest muscles in your body and therefore the most energy because your lifting like 60kg on each step and your doing it over a long period of time.

therefore running etc. is the best

olchik

HSC
Thank you! How about cycling? Is it better than running for example? Does it work?

click here

to see my profile
HSC
Cycling is fine. In fact cycling is better for fatties (not saying you are fat) since fat people who jogs are more likely to injure themselves due to excess weight which can put a strain/damage on their muscles, legs, ankle, joints, etc

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
You should not starve yourself of calories either. If you do that, your body just ends up burning up muscle. So, make sure to include weight training as a part of your work-out; push-ups/sit-ups/dips/etc. that you can do at home aswell. Your focus, however, should be on burning calories rather than decreasing your intake.

CieL

HSC
Do you want to lose weight or tone up?
There's a difference between anorexia and keeping in shape

Just realise that when you do exercises.. if you hop on the scales straight away.. you might be lighter just because you've lost alot of water

Also, you might lose fat but still get heavier.. because you've gained muscle and muscle is heavier than fat.. please don't think you're gaining weight (ie getting fat)

You may be relatively toned but heavy because you got alot of muscle and bone mass

There's this girl who has way less meat on her bones than me but is the same weight as me is because she's got a higher density in her bones

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Toning up just means loosing fat. Underneath the current layer of fat is muscle mass, ditch the fat and huzzah you're toned.

The way to do this is to go on a high protein low carb diet, do lots of cardio and preferably some weights thrown in there as well - but mostly light weight high rep stuff.

Also just for good health generally take a multi-vitamin and stretch at least once a day.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
run for 45mins before breakfast every day, as long as your heart rate is up there for the whole period (so maybe like a 5-10min warm up and warm down). That helped me lose a few kgs for rowing.

If you want to tone up at the same time, use the gym, do a high number of repetitions with low weights and do a set of stair runs or an erg spring or a bike sprint every 15 minutes or so to keep the heart rate up.

olchik

HSC
goony said:
run for 45mins before breakfast every day, as long as your heart rate is up there for the whole period (so maybe like a 5-10min warm up and warm down). That helped me lose a few kgs for rowing.
I think it can help. But if the weather is not so good for running, what else?

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Do Bruce Lee style jogging:

Jog 3 min - [Breathe deeply]
Run (yes, run... fast) 1 min [Power! Run like the wind!
Walk 1 min [Breathe, catch your breath, you're gonna have to jog again next]

Repeat for 30 mins. When you feel you can handle it, increase the number of cycles.

-Swimming is nice. Good for breathing.
-Light weights for muscle tone. Don't have to do 500kg weights, just light 3-5 kg ones, but with LOTS of reps.

The rest is up to your diet, really. Plenty of fruit, veg, lean meat, water. Don't eat/drink too many sweets.

PS - When exercising, think in the wholw-body context (eg, when you hear "do weights" don't just think "arms". Do weights with legs as well. You can even walk with your hands, but that's an extreme...)

-P_D

HSC
:) Onl after 20 minutes+ do you actually start to burn fat off. Walking on the beach is very good cuz your legs are working hard but you dont have ot put alot of strain on your heart/breathing if your just getting started. Gradually you can also move on to running on the beach. Gyms good aswell since there are all types of exersices for difrent aims. I usually do cross-trainer, cycling, treadmill and then 20 minutes of weights...arms and legs and stomach.
Dont eat too much after exersice otherwise your body will jsut burn that and not do much else.
Ive cut my calorie intake too while on my "diet regime" and ive lost around 7 kgs in the past month or so. I weighed 62 and now weigh 55.
But i would sugeest going slow. Loosing 5 kg in a month or in 3 gives u the same result but the gradual/slower regime will be much more healthier for your body.

+ Dont eat too much fatty foods or sugary foods.!!!

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Light weights for muscle tone. Don't have to do 500kg weights, just light 3-5 kg ones, but with LOTS of reps
Can you please explain why you advocate this low weight, high repetition style for weight loss? Why do you believe training with this rep range will induce fat loss?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Doesn't lots of reps at low weight encourage long, lean muscles, whereas low reps at high weight increase bulk (think bodybuilders)...thats what my brothers told me, anyway.

Anyways, am I the only one that hates cardio? Walking/jogging/running is boring, skipping hurts my boobies (edit: and I'm so unco I keep stepping on the rope every half-dozen skips), swimming is ok (but the chlorine is so not cool, and I get bored with it too)...

Last edited:

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Can you please explain why you advocate this low weight, high repetition style for weight loss? Why do you believe training with this rep range will induce fat loss?

There are two aims with this "low weight, high rep" style:

1/ Weight loss. Low weights and high reps allows for breathing (cardio), whereas high weights and low reps put emphasis on power. Try lifting a 500k barbell next time; your first instinct isn't to breathe deep.

2/ Balance. I know people who lose weight, only to be left with flabby, fat-less skin. Low weights and high reps will help with toning the muscles.

That's the way i see it.

-P_D

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I believe the idea behind low weights high reps is to make it almost cardio as opposed to weight lifting.

As far as your second point though Dilemma you're way wide of the mark. Muscles do not 'tone up'. When you tone up (or cut - to use a term from bodybuilding) you are simply loosing fat (and often some muscle as well). You're muscles do not change however when you strip the fat off they are more prominent eg more toned.

Jumping back abit - 'bruce lee style running' is High intesity Interval Training (HIT), this is a training technique of turning an aerobic exercise (eg running, swimming, cycling) into an anabolic one. The principle is basic once you have warmed up you go all out for a minute and then you slow off for at least two minutes and then go all out again. Repeat this cycle for as long as you are able. It is great for building endurance and lightning speed. It is the recommended training for all fighters (be they boxers, or martial arts miscellaneous) for these reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)