Best feeder for James Ruse / Baulkham Hills High School (1 Viewer)

Bonaire

HSC
Our son is starting Kindergarten next year. We can move anywhere in Sydney. What are the best feeder primary schools for Ruse and Baulko? Secondary aims are to live close to public transport, close to Ruse and Baulko, and we prefer smaller schools over bigger schools.

Thanks!

Epicman69

HSC
Our son is starting Kindergarten next year. We can move anywhere in Sydney. What are the best feeder primary schools for Ruse and Baulko? Secondary aims are to live close to public transport, close to Ruse and Baulko, and we prefer smaller schools over bigger schools.

Thanks!
See this is the thing, there are no schools that are "feeders" for Ruse or Baulko. Like if you really want just make your kid go to a top OC class (idk if they exist still) such as North Rocks, where everyone in that class will pretty much go to Baulko/Ruse. Like honestly just make sure your child do very well on the selective test, it doesn't matter what school your child goes to.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks!
Imho, it’s a bit much pressure to try to plan the next 6 years. (There are other high schools of high caliber such as Sydney Grammar and North Sydney Boys as well)

Ruse and Baulko don’t have specific feeder schools as such because they are selective meaning that there is a test students sit in Year 6; it is your sons performance in this test which will guarantee entry into these schools.

Ideally if you son is gifted (and you aren’t just putting the pressure on him), then finding a school with a Gifted & Talented program would help to challenge him. Some schools also have a OC program. Those schools generally feed into selective schools but not always/not everyone.

Probably sounds like moving to around the Hills/Carlingford/Epping area makes the most sense if your long term dream is for your son to be at those high schools.

Imho, my recommendation is that you want to be close to whatever school you choose, or even also close to work/family. Being close to home means that less time travelling can be spend with friends/family and therefore better wellbeing which is as important if not more than academic performance.

Bonaire

HSC
Thanks for the replies. I agree that 'feeder' is the wrong term. Perhaps another way of asking the question is:

What are the most common primary schools that students at Ruse and Baulko started out at? Of course, many of them would have moved to an opportunity class school in year 5. But where were they before that?

Thanks!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the replies. I agree that 'feeder' is the wrong term. Perhaps another way of asking the question is:

What are the most common primary schools that students at Ruse and Baulko started out at? Of course, many of them would have moved to an opportunity class school in year 5. But where were they before that?

Thanks!
It’s flawed statistics to think that because my son will go to this primary school he has a higher chance of going to Ruse. And certainly decisions about where to live should factor in more than just these possibilities which is not guaranteed. Like you son is only 5 or 6, I don’t think you need to map what high school he is going to go to just yet, maybe wait until he is 10 aha.

It varies from cohort to cohort because these schools are selective, students travel to attend these schools. But best bet again is somewhere in the
Castle Hills/Epping/Carlingford/Parramatta area that is close to public transport; and that way if your son does get into either school he won’t be spending too long to get there.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

Thanks!
I attend a good selective school, and I myself don't come from a primary school in the area (hell, I went to a Catholic school a 30-40 minute drive away, and was the only one from that primary school in my Year 7 cohort). I'm saying this because really it isn't that big of an issue. My opportunity class test results were horrendous, and I obviously didn't make it in, but I now attend a selective school.

No primary school or oc class will guarantee you or up your chances of making it into a selective school. I think you'd be better off sending him to any public school, especially since he's only in kindergarten, but if you'd want to you could move to the Ruse or Baulko areas (Hills or Carlingford, for example, or even the Parramatta area to be close to public transport (don't be like me travelling 3 hours to school and back total haha). Tbh I don't think it's an issue you have to think about right now, especially since his selective schools test won't be for another 6 years.

idkkdi

HSC

Thanks!
sydney grammar primary seems to have the best actual education in primary but it is like 40k a yr.

i think st ives north? had a really overpowered gifted and talented class that you test into pretty early on.

otherwise ruse and baulko would just be the OC classes with the highest OC entry scores.

HSC

Thanks!
He's 5. He'll be okay. Focus instead on instilling work ethic + growing up as a kid for now. Encourage reading more books (LITERATURE IS SO IMPORTANT, I strongly believe it has helped me) + developing hobbies. I went to a subpar local primary school. I'll be honest, I did attend tutoring to brush up skills/stimulate experiences of the OC test for about half a year to a year, made it, and then did tutoring for selective. Made it to a top 10 selective school. However, if you really want to, I agree with the others and to aim for top OC schools (and hopefully getting into them) -> theyll have kids also gunning for top selective schools which will probably peer pressure/motivate your son lol. Good luck.

kkk579

hello
HSC

Thanks!
try find an opportunity class school in the area
for example: beecroft ps, it has the highest minimum entry score meaning it’s extremely hard to get into and it’s also pretty close to carlingford

yoohoomoomoo

HSC

Thanks!

Thanks!
Hi! Not sure if you’ll end up seeing this reply but felt it necessary to be put out. As a current year 12 student at Baulko I can safely tell you if u want your child to go to a school where the teachers teach enthusiastically ( or just teach point blank) and assessments are fairly created and marked run far away from the school. The calibre of teachers is absolutely atrocious. These teachers will not teach in class, rather rely on the determination of the students and their tutoring as a substitute for their own teaching and justifying this as an excuse to create ridiculous exams marked extremely harshly. For example, in our biology exams we had one the question asking us how we collated our information (it was a depth study). As u may assume, with about a few minutes for a question like this to write “I searched up XYZ on the internet and in books such as the textbook etc. and collated my notes into tables with headings, subheading etc so it was organised and easy to understand.” That answer would’ve gotten 1/2 maybe 1 mark out of 3 if lucky. Why? You had to include the word “Read” in your answer, essentially saying “I READ information and collated it” I mean what else am I doing with the info? Nevertheless lots of people didn’t get the full marks, yet teachers were adamant that they were in the right for this harsh criteria. Do what u will with that information but this idiocracy extends to nearly all faculties so yes there is my 2 cents ❤

SmolBrain

HSC

Thanks!
poor kid lol, but honestly my honest feedback is:
- get into a good OC -> this is important because once you child is in an OC class, he or she (or if they decide to go by one of the other 70 genders) they will be surrounded by like minded kids who were victims of their parents (jk) which will moltivate themm
- do a sport and a skill which they will MASTER, for example i did comp dance, track and ice skating for 7 years when i applied to selective and grade 5 piano and grade 4 violin and comp programming in y6 which really helped boost my application

SmolBrain

HSC
Getting them into a tutoring centre would be more beneficial than their primary school. My little cousins friends all go to this tutoring college since they were in year 1, and they only go to their local primary school. They are currently solving math questions there that are at a high school level.
oh yes, to add on i reccomend your kids do tutoring starting for year 2/3 at pre-uni but the parents have to constantly monitor their levels, also i just realised your kids will do hsc at 2035! OMG ! ill be 25! wtf

fart

HSC
N/A
oh yes, to add on i reccomend your kids do tutoring starting for year 2/3 at pre-uni but the parents have to constantly monitor their levels, also i just realised your kids will do hsc at 2035! OMG ! ill be 25! wtf
bro ☠ that's so weird wtf like 2035?!?!?!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)