Best GPS school (1 Viewer)

shellsbells15

HSC
when your old and talking to your grandchildren what do they want to hear about??
that time that you scored 95% on a science prac, by studying all weekend and missing out on cheering your school teams.
or the time that you were involved in supporting the winning CAS rugby team...

i know what id rather, the hsc isn't the be-all end-all, the reason alot of parents send their kids to a private school, including my own, is the fact that it builds up a community atmosphere. id rather feel like i belonged than to get 95% any day.

ps. im guessing the guy who paid me out for mentioning appel chapel actually went from knox, cos every other school finds it hilarious

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Why would anyone going to a GPS school care about supporting a CAS team?

And by the way, I'm sure my grandkids couldnt give a fuck if i got 95% in a science prac. I could, however, recall tales of saturday afternoons watching my mates go around in the XV, getting beat by Joeys 102-3, watching Kurtley Beale totally rape us, the beautiful sunset in the background providing a fitting metaphor on our high school careers. I love going to High. Gives me the GPS experience AND a good path to tertiary education.

Matrocksmysocks

HSC
To my fellow Sydneian, who apparently doesn't tend to like Grammar that much, well, I've a feeling that you wouldn't have made many friends in any other school. I love Grammar - there's so many ways to interact with other people, to do new things - be it sport, music, drama, cadets...
And as to Grammar being a crap sport school, we're actually fairly decent. A couple of years ago we brought home three of the Firsts Summer Sport Premierships.
As to the mentality of the GPS - it is very sport-minded, but then so is just about every other school association - you shouldn't be competing in music or drama, should you? It defeats the whole point of them being Arts.
And in terms of needing money to go to Grammar, I might point out that each year, there are more than twenty scholarships awarded. That is roughly one ninth of each Form on scholarships. Grammar's main focus in academics - you go to Grammar to go to University. We don't rote learn-off exam scripts, it's not a workhouse, it's a place to learn. Add to that fantastic musical and dramatic facilities, and believe-it-or-not damned good sporting ones too. The "Herald" had an article on the Shore-Grammar First XV match, saying that we're fast becoming the "thorn in the side" to all the favourites.
Grammar's ethos is liberal (that is SMALL l liberal) and pre-vocational, and generally a lot of fun.
As to my budding accomplice from Barker, GPS Schools are not crap at all. One of my best mates is the Senior Prefect of Newington, I've got buddies at Kings and Shore, a good friend's boyfriend goes to Ignatius and my mum's oncologist's son goes to Joey's. I've also got several friends at Knox and Barker, Abbotsleigh and PLC. They are all good schools too, no kidding. Mind you, Private School Alley (aka the Pacific Highway) is a bit suss.
Anyway, regarding the original question, I put Grammar at the top of the list. Not beause I've been the minion of propaganda, but because I know others at those other schools who love theirs, but happily prefer our programs, subjects, courses.
Oh, and as to King's not giving Sports Scholarships, my mate there has one ;)

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
i know someone who was a total dead shit at school, but was an ace rugby player so he got a rugby scholarship for kings... but then not even a month there and he dislocated his shoulder and had to have a reconstruction. he was a prick at school and now hes an even bigger + hornier prick who thinks hes king because he goes to that school

ediisjoz

HSC
I'd have to say Shore... that's because my brother went there and I am biased....

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
sikeveo said:
is bookie ever wrong?
apparently not ;) hes right about the Kurtley Beale part. and i suppose the sunset was added in there for flavour :)

kangarulz said:
i know someone who was a total dead shit at school, but was an ace rugby player so he got a rugby scholarship for kings... but then not even a month there and he dislocated his shoulder and had to have a reconstruction. he was a prick at school and now hes an even bigger + hornier prick who thinks hes king because he goes to that school
oh dear...*shakes head in disgrace* good thing its only one person though. i suppose all schools will have their rotten eggs.

williams_is

HSC
Sporting recognition in the GPS? Not exactly... And Importing... have you seen your tennis team? (and that didn't work either) I have never played somebody shitter in my whole life.

But otherwise a fair roundup.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Bookie said:
as long as we can all agree Scots is really shit, everything is good :)
hmmm...there is SOME truth in that, but i dont want to say any further than that. i know someone who came to our old school from scots cos he hated scots. then again, he left our school after two terms. does speak volumes. kinda.

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
Matrocksmysocks said:
To my fellow Sydneian, who apparently doesn't tend to like Grammar that much, well, I've a feeling that you wouldn't have made many friends in any other school. I love Grammar - there's so many ways to interact with other people, to do new things - be it sport, music, drama, cadets...
And as to Grammar being a crap sport school, we're actually fairly decent. A couple of years ago we brought home three of the Firsts Summer Sport Premierships.
As to the mentality of the GPS - it is very sport-minded, but then so is just about every other school association - you shouldn't be competing in music or drama, should you? It defeats the whole point of them being Arts.
And in terms of needing money to go to Grammar, I might point out that each year, there are more than twenty scholarships awarded. That is roughly one ninth of each Form on scholarships. Grammar's main focus in academics - you go to Grammar to go to University. We don't rote learn-off exam scripts, it's not a workhouse, it's a place to learn. Add to that fantastic musical and dramatic facilities, and believe-it-or-not damned good sporting ones too. The "Herald" had an article on the Shore-Grammar First XV match, saying that we're fast becoming the "thorn in the side" to all the favourites.
Grammar's ethos is liberal (that is SMALL l liberal) and pre-vocational, and generally a lot of fun.
As to my budding accomplice from Barker, GPS Schools are not crap at all. One of my best mates is the Senior Prefect of Newington, I've got buddies at Kings and Shore, a good friend's boyfriend goes to Ignatius and my mum's oncologist's son goes to Joey's. I've also got several friends at Knox and Barker, Abbotsleigh and PLC. They are all good schools too, no kidding. Mind you, Private School Alley (aka the Pacific Highway) is a bit suss.
Anyway, regarding the original question, I put Grammar at the top of the list. Not beause I've been the minion of propaganda, but because I know others at those other schools who love theirs, but happily prefer our programs, subjects, courses.
Oh, and as to King's not giving Sports Scholarships, my mate there has one ;)

Good onya mate. It's good to see a guy who can submit a coherent, sensible post, and someone who has immense school pride.

I go to Shore, and think the GPS system is fantastic. The people who pay it out just don't understand it. In my opinion, Shore is the most balanced GPS school, however I really respect all the others, especially Grammar and Newington.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
pennypacker said:
Good onya mate. It's good to see a guy who can submit a coherent, sensible post, and someone who has immense school pride.

I go to Shore, and think the GPS system is fantastic. The people who pay it out just don't understand it. In my opinion, Shore is the most balanced GPS school, however I really respect all the others, especially Grammar and Newington.
Cool, ur in form VI right?
Can you tell me abit more about the school;?

skepticality

HSC
Despite the fact that i go to high, i'd say grammar's the best school. They have the best teachers and is right in the city, accessible to everything. They do well in the HSC and do ok/well at sport.

Followed closely has to be HIGH by our acadamic standards. We pwn in 4U Maths.

Then Shore cz they're good at rowing, and has nice facilities and nice people. The rest are pretty much the same.

On the other end of the scale - Newington's just a fking joke, not even in top 100 last year for hsc, considering it costs 10000+ a year. No amount of sporting acheivements can redeem such a shocking result.

m0ofin said:
What are GPS schools?
- n00b, clearly not 1337

PS and yes bookie's always right

skepticality

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
hmmmm how so? just posing the question.
Because they're all n00b in the HSC, they're all pretty damn good at sport.

Except Kings they have nice grounds.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
GPS schools prevent the aristocracy being poisoned by the common population.

I'm wanting to get attacked. :$

HSC
Seeing as they were founded pre-Federation I would say that public is based on the British idea of public, that being that the public schools are actually the elite schools.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
Seeing as they were founded pre-Federation I would say that public is based on the British idea of public, that being that the public schools are actually the elite schools.
hmmm...interesting... then what where the 'public' schools back then known as?

but it is kinda ironic that they still have Greater Public Schools instead of Greater Private Schools. Please, keep up with the times!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)