Best Law Course? (1 Viewer)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Employers look for someone who can get the job done, eventually leading to a profit being made. They don't see someone from USYD, and automatically think "ok he's got the job".
They're not going to hire someone from a "better" institution, if they feel someone from a less prestigious uni is more capable for the job at hand.
It just happens that a lot of the graduates from USYD and UNSW, happen to be capable for these graduate jobs.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW also its kensington firm.

True prestige is a big factor in some cases, ive been told by my hsie faculty head at school as well as numerous others to go for unsw if i had a choice between usyd and unsw. Apparently usyd is faltering a bit and is using its "prestige" to keep reeling people in while unsw is a lot more modern and overall slightly better.

that being said i would be elated to get into either of em after internal transfering from commerce/economics.
I can agree with that - just look at the ratings on the Good Universities Guide...

deterministic

HSC
OP wanted to know about mac, uws and notre dame. Why the fuck are people mentioning usyd and unsw???

yalando

HSC
Employers look for someone who can get the job done, eventually leading to a profit being made. They don't see someone from USYD, and automatically think "ok he's got the job".
They're not going to hire someone from a "better" institution, if they feel someone from a less prestigious uni is more capable for the job at hand.
It just happens that a lot of the graduates from USYD and UNSW, happen to be capable for these graduate jobs.
Exactly.
At the end of the day if yougo to UWS MQ or whatever you will come out with a law degree. Employers will look at the type personality a candidate has and they will note pretentious people and arrogance such as 'chromatic' and immediately place them in the fuck off pile. Like out ATARs no one will care where you got your degree from they will care about how you will work, what you can offer them and your work ethic- having the degree merely means you're qualified to do the job that they want- extra, affable qualities are what will make you stand out.

And anyway, UWS' law is centrally located aroun Parramatta's law district so you'll accumulate much practical experience.

writer'sblock

HSC
The ANU and Sydney have the best Law courses in the country. it's much easier to get into the ANU, so it's always worth applying there. but remember only if you want to do law, do you want to be admitted to the bar? if not, you're better off doing an ordinary Bachelor of Arts

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The ANU and Sydney have the best Law courses in the country. it's much easier to get into the ANU, so it's always worth applying there. but remember only if you want to do law, do you want to be admitted to the bar? if not, you're better off doing an ordinary Bachelor of Arts
UNSW's law course?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
According to the Good Uni Guide, UNSW's is better than Sydney. And UNSW is better than ANU!

ANU: according to graduates - teaching quality (average), generic skills and overall satisfaction (better)
Sydney is all average and UNSW is all better.

Furthermore, 12% of ANU graduates were looking for work 4 months after graduation, 18% of Sydney's was looking for work (both average) and 0% of UNSW's graduates were looking for work (better).

ANU graduates had an average salary of 55 554 (average), while UNSW and Sydney had better ones - though Sydney's average was 64 559 and UNSW is 56 500.

/me shrugs

THE TRADITIONAL HIERARCHY IS CHANGING!

Though if we go into general ratings ANU > UNSW > Sydney.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
But we must not forget that these are based on just a few graduates telling some interviewers what they think.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True, these are just pointers - and for me, the dealbreaker because I had read so much on my two preferred universities I really couldn't separate them.

So of course - as the guide says, it is just a guide - research your choices carefully.

jellybelly59

HSC
It's definitely true that with law, prestige is vital. It really depends on the employer, if you get a traditional lawyer educated over 40 years ago, then a USYD graduate would be ideal, because USYD has the prestige of a typical black-letter law school. UNSW on the other hand, is a lot more modern and research intensive, so attract more modern firms and younger employers.
LOL nathan you're still roaming bos? hrmmm yep that's definitely how it seems right. Nowadays, there's a very fine line between the top unis nowadays in terms of law so like many said it's really down to personal preference if you get offered between usyd and new south.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)