Best/Most Useful Textbook (1 Viewer)

mioumiou

HSC
What about coroneos or couchman? (Hehe, getting fitzy later at dymocks) :D
Coroneos has great explanations and good questions too. Couchman is alright i guess... but cambridge and fitzpatrick is all you need. (and most importantly, PAST PAPERS!)

Like Fitzpatrick, Coroneos is separated into 2 books, 2u (pink and huge) and a 3u book (orange). So if you want some more extra questions to practice with, get Coroneos or Terry Lee's Fundamental Mathematics (2u+3u)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Then where else can i get it?
If you can wait, there will be an influx of sellers on this forum by the end of the year. They sell for around half the price. If you cannot, try your local book store, shop around, compare prices.

mioumiou

HSC
although the most recent maths in focus book that just got released has challenging questions. form what i have heard.
They didn't change anything in terms of the questions in the exercises but they've only add on a few more "challenging questions" in the challenging section. Other than that, they've just made the book thicker than cambridge for the latest edition.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
They didn't change anything in terms of the questions in the exercises but they've only add on a few more "challenging questions" in the challenging section. Other than that, they've just made the book thicker than cambridge for the latest edition.
Also, they bunched up 2-3 exercises together into one.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I'm using 3 books :
1. Maths in Focus
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Cambridge

I'm using Maths in Focus first every new chapter so I will learn the basic theory and it makes me familiar with the new concept. It's very easy (almost a jokes!)and usually I finish a chapter for 2-3 days
After that I jump to Fitzpatrick and then to the hardest one,Cambridge
You can change the Fitzpatrick with other book anyway.
For me the important ones are Math In Focus and Cambridge but basically if you have good teacher you don't need Math In Focus

LOL LOL
Same here :p

big_bang344

HSC
That would be too long to wait because i roll over in at the end of term three. So if i wait, i would've wasted like a whole term already, therefore, it would be a waste of money to even buy it then :S

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
That would be too long to wait because i roll over in at the end of term three. So if i wait, i would've wasted like a whole term already, therefore, it would be a waste of money to even buy it then :S
Wait, you are in Year 10 right? How come you finish during the third term?

big_bang344

HSC
I sai i roll over at the "end" of term three :L Not when term three starts. LOL

big_bang344

HSC
I don't know but my school does it that way :L Probably thinks that theres too much in year 11 to get through that we have to start early?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know but my school does it that way :L Probably thinks that theres too much in year 11 to get through that we have to start early?
That's illegal in terms of Board of Studies, but good on your school :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
This is not legal, do you actually physically go into Year 11 or are you still in Year 10 and do Year 11 work?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Either way I am still going to eat you. I mean help you decide on books.

mioumiou

HSC
I don't know :L But yeh, i'm pretty sure that's what happens.
Try to find out what maths textbooks that your school is going to use, that way, you won't waste your money if your school is going to give them to you.

simonxuanshen

HSC
Cambridge Mathematics 3U by far. The book is very reliable and has questions ranging from lower 2 unit to harder 3U. The answers are very reliable but don't contain proofs. Other than that, the book is a wonderful study guide. It's difficult too :p

Have fun,
Good Luck in your studies! :smile:

Simon

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
I've used: Jim Coroneos, Fitzpatrick and Terry Lee.

Terry Lee is so good, it has worked solutions and the questions are challenging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)