best movie of the 90's (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
for some reason i found raging bull to be the most boring movie the first time i saw it, then when i saw it again about a year later, i loved it. still, i don't think de niro has ever bettered his performance in taxi driver. that shit was just incredible
ooh i have had week long arguments with people about whether Deniro's travis bickle or jake Lamotta is the better performance. i think he is marginally better in Raging Bull, but honestly both are mind-blowing.

its hard to believe that the one man created so many vivid characters, the young don vito, neil mcauley, and the wacky rupert pubkin. he is a total chameleon.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Neil McCauley? I liked Heat, but I don't know if it's one of my favourite De Niro performances.. I'm would've said Noodles in Once Upon a Time in America and Al Capone in The Untouchables. Sad that his career is in such a slump.

scoby_2000

HSC
Benny_ said:
Neil McCauley? I liked Heat, but I don't know if it's one of my favourite De Niro performances..
dude how good is al pacino in that film...i love it when he meets that black guy

then hes like

"DONT WASTE MY MOTHER FUCKEN TIME"

hahaha

love it! :D

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
AlleyCat said:
ooh i have had week long arguments with people about whether Deniro's travis bickle or jake Lamotta is the better performance. i think he is marginally better in Raging Bull, but honestly both are mind-blowing.
just for the look on his face after he goes on his killing spree, as he is sitting on the couch drenched in blood and the cops bust in. greatest thing ever

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
just for the look on his face after he goes on his killing spree, as he is sitting on the couch drenched in blood and the cops bust in. greatest thing ever
me and my strongly opinioned friend came to the conclusion that taxi driver is a better film but there is no performance better than LaMotta. honestly, if you watch it again from a purely acting point of view, you cant help but agree with me. although taxi driver was awesome, ill give you that, with a better script and story.

that scene you described is so full on, so many of his movies really knock the shit out of you. i think watching raging bull is like running a marathon (not that i would know what thats like...:D)

and i think neil Mcauley was one of deniros best. so perfectly real and understated, he milked every word for all the meaning and emotion it could get. i love al pacino but he was severely outshone in this film. he basically yelled his way through the entire film.

that said, he was a great capone.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
i really didn't like heat that much. it just seemed like everyone in that movie had been cast for their stereotypical role, and were all simply going through the motions

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
i really didn't like heat that much. it just seemed like everyone in that movie had been cast for their stereotypical role, and were all simply going through the motions
i agree with that comment for all the actors except deniro, who i felt excelled himself, and was the stand out character in that film. i literally forgot that i was watching a film, his character was so real and complex.

al pacino i could give or take, and the rest i didnt even notice.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
AlleyCat said:
i agree with that comment for all the actors except deniro, who i felt excelled himself, and was the stand out character in that film. i literally forgot that i was watching a film, his character was so real and complex.

al pacino i could give or take, and the rest i didnt even notice.
de niro was the best in that film, and did some of his best acting in over a decade, but i still felt it was nothing compared to taxi driver and raging bull

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
de niro was the best in that film, and did some of his best acting in over a decade, but i still felt it was nothing compared to taxi driver and raging bull
well i agree with you whole-heartedly there. heat doesnt even compare to raging bull or taxi driver.

god i love deniro.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I could be all cliched and say responses such as Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, The Boondock Saints or any other cult movie... but I have to go for the one movie which I'll always remember as scaring the 8 year old pants off me.

The best film of the 90's was made in 1990... Arachnophobia. I remember watching it alongside a bunch of kids who lived in my road and most of us not being able to sleep properly for the next few nights. Great times.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
just realised i haven't given an answer to the thread's title question yet. leon

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
just realised i haven't given an answer to the thread's title question yet. leon
leon the professional is right up there on my list too. you have awesome taste in films. how good is gary oldman?!?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
AlleyCat said:
leon the professional is right up there on my list too. you have awesome taste in films. how good is gary oldman?!?
oldman is pure class. i got so excited when he was cast as sirius black that i had to change my pants

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
you seen rosencrantz & guildenstern are dead? that had gary oldman AND time roth. movies like that don't even need to try to be good

nwatts

HSC
crazyhomo said:
you seen rosencrantz & guildenstern are dead? that had gary oldman AND time roth. movies like that don't even need to try to be good
I was a bit disappointed with the film. :( The play is just fantastic, and I don't think the film captured that same sense of nothingness that the play did. I think it should be kept on the stage, but I agree Oldman = class.

Although my favourite performance of his is of course in The Fifth Element. :p

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
i liked the film, although my enjoyment was seriously hindered by the study of english.

and i hate hate hate the fifth element and everything related to it.

kissfan

HSC
one of my favourite movies from the 90's would be in a list of many but yet mentioned already (i think) would be oliver stone's JFK it has a great story and Kevin costner, Gary Oldman, John Candy, Joe Pesci, and many more in the cast. what else could you ask for?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)