Best of Luck for Your Legal Studies Exam + Tips (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Best of luck for the Legal Studies exam on on the 4th November 2009.

Here is a few tips that I have picked up along the way:
Disclaimer: these are things that I found help me, adopt these as you see fit. This is not advice but merely observations from my experiences during the HSC and uni

Before the exam:
1. DO NOT cram late into the night! Do some light revision if you feel it is necessary before bed and have a good night sleep. Go to bed early and stay away from caffine and anything that will prevent you from getting a good rest. This will ensure you feel refreshed in the morning rather than over legal studies and tired!

2. Pack what you are going to take the night before so you don't have a panic attack in the morning. Remember to check what you are allowed or required to bring. Grab a few extra pens/pencils just in case and you can get clear (completely clear) pencil cases to keep them in if you find they fall out of plastic sleeves.

3. Have a good healthy breakfast. You may feel nervous and not too hungry but try and eat something healthy and low-gi - three hours is a long time and there is nothing more distracting that an growling stomach! Stay away from caffine and sugar these will give highs but lead to crashes.

4. Try and relax that morning, you will feel less stressed and your brain will feel more alert if you havent crammed all morning. If you must just read through some notes over breakfast or get someone to quiz you in the car/bus/walk.

5. Get to the exam with plenty of time to spare but try not to cram at this time. It will make you feel anxious or stressed. Talk with friends or find a quiet place to relax (whichever is best for you) a relaxed brain will be able to remember more than one that feels overly stressed. TRY TO AVOID FRIENDS/OTHER STUDENTS WHO WILL MAKE YOU FEEL STRESSED OR ANXIOUS.

6. If you haven't already plan out how much time you have for each question (essay and short answer sections) and give yourself time limits. Work out when these fall in the exam time (e.g. mutliple choice 9:30-9:50, short answer 9:50 to... - these are just made up)

During the exam
1. When you get into the exam room try and relax, have a sip of water, lay out your equipment and try and find a comfortable position in your seat. Make sure you know how much time you have, where the clock is and can see the board etc...

2. Stick to your time limits, the extra 10 mins on finishing one essay wont earn you many more marks but may lead to much less on the next one!

3. If you start to panic that you don't remember something try to relax, you will find as you get more relaxed you will realise its all there (even though you have felt all year that you have not been absorbing anything).

4. If you cannot answer a question, do not dwell on it, mark it and come back later! Often some word/question later in the exam will trigger your memory and if not write something anything is better than nothing and you wont lose marks for giving it a go and you may get something right!

5. Don't be affraid to leave your paper if you need to go to the toilet, if you are dying to go you wont be concentrating anyway so ask and make it quick.

6. DONT FORGET TO TAKE THE TIME TO READ QUESTIONS AND INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY this can make a huge difference to your answer.

7. DONT FORGET YOUR LCMD (Legislation, Cases, Media Reports and Documents) and if you can't remember the exact name just write a brief description of it (i.e. snail in bottle case, UN human rights document) this is better than nothing

8. Try and have 5-10 mins spare at the end to check multiple choice, short answers and read through essays and/or answer any questions you have left behind. Make sure you have answered all questions and make any additions or changes necessary.

9. Try to remember the HSC should not rule your life and is not the be all and end all, balance relaxation, fun and study. In the end if your results aren't what you hoped there are many different ways around it. I have friends in law courses who started off with a UAI less than 70 and are now doing very well at uni

GOOD LUCK and if you have any other questions ask away here and I will try and help!

Last edited:

sam5

HSC
hey melsc, ive got a consumers essay that i would normally write. Its got about 7 pieces of legislation, about 3 or 4 cases and about 3 media reports. I know thats good and all - but is that overkill?

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
hey melsc, ive got a consumers essay that i would normally write. Its got about 7 pieces of legislation, about 3 or 4 cases and about 3 media reports. I know thats good and all - but is that overkill?
stop having a winge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)