Best online travel sites to book flights AUS to USA (+ domestic flights in the U.S) (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Anyone can provide me websites that is cheaper than travel agencies that have good deals with flights to the U.S or any sites that I can book that would take me domestic flights around the U.S ? Thank you.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Re: Best online travel sites to book flights AUS to USA (+ domestic flights in the U.

What are your dates, intended travel month, and what USA domestic destinations??

Firstly, Book directly with the airline website for the best deal and you wont get ripped off. Too many scam websites out there. They are also never as cheap as the actual airlines quoted website price in most cases, and if they are then there is a problem.

AIRLINES TO USA (in order of best product):
V Australia (Virgin Blue Full service offshoot)
Qantas
Delta (only from SYD)
United (Old Config)

AROUND USA:
I will use Low cost carriers here and say:
-Southwest
-Virgin America
-Jetblue

Fares from Oz-USA are at the cheapest they have ever been while this planet has existed, and at the moment United is offering the best deals: United Airlines - 173 U.S. cities. One low fare but you have to put up with their crap and boring product across the pacific

yet VAustralia's product is great for a 14hr flight, and is around $930return up till November 30

If you are wanting fares on Holidays, such as December 10-Jan 31st, then you will be paying triple the price than low season. If you want to book fares from Feb 1 2010, then WAIT, they should be released soon, they are at around $1200 return, but they should go lower.

I know heaps about this stuff, so feel free to ask any more questions. Cheers

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Re: Best online travel sites to book flights AUS to USA (+ domestic flights in the U.

What are your dates, intended travel month, and what USA domestic destinations??

Firstly, Book directly with the airline website for the best deal and you wont get ripped off. Too many scam websites out there. They are also never as cheap as the actual airlines quoted website price in most cases, and if they are then there is a problem.

AIRLINES TO USA (in order of best product):
V Australia (Virgin Blue Full service offshoot)
Qantas
Delta (only from SYD)
United (Old Config)

AROUND USA:
I will use Low cost carriers here and say:
-Southwest
-Virgin America
-Jetblue

Fares from Oz-USA are at the cheapest they have ever been while this planet has existed, and at the moment United is offering the best deals: United Airlines - 173 U.S. cities. One low fare but you have to put up with their crap and boring product across the pacific

yet VAustralia's product is great for a 14hr flight, and is around $930return up till November 30

If you are wanting fares on Holidays, such as December 10-Jan 31st, then you will be paying triple the price than low season. If you want to book fares from Feb 1 2010, then WAIT, they should be released soon, they are at around $1200 return, but they should go lower.

I know heaps about this stuff, so feel free to ask any more questions. Cheers
Thank for such great helpful tips!!!! :)

btw I want to go around August/September - October period (no way during the high seasons) and what about accommodations? is there cheap ones you can book online or you reckon its better to actually book when you arrive there? How much spending money do I need if I want to stay 2-3 weeks there? (lets say cities New York, Chicago, Ohio etc)?

cabso1

HSC

Another aviation enthusiast here.

Once you get to the US, your best resource is Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare | Priceline.com Cheaper flights and hotels if you use the name your own price thing where you just say the price you want to pay pre taxes and then they try to match the price. You usually end up saving more than half on hotels and up to a half on flights.

Definitely book before you travel, that's the only way to get advance discounts, especially if you're flying. Unless if you're using priceline where last minute works too.

Don't know why you're going to Ohio, it's not the best. Factor in Washington DC, loved it. Then take the amtrak from DC to NY. You can take the train around the US, it works out to be more fun since you end up seeing more.

You could also ask Flight Centre for flights that go to NY but return from LA, so that you see more of the US that way and you're not bound to go back to your origin to take a flight back home. It's possible if you're flying United. Not the best inflight amenities but pretty reasonable in service.

Don't go after October, the weather will just become colder.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

If I want to go to the U.S during September - October, what is the best month to book? early next year?

spence

HSC

If I want to go to the U.S during September - October, what is the best month to book? early next year?
As early as you can will probs get you the cheapest flights. Or as late as possible to get last minute deals

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC

Flight wise= Do not book early. Leaving it until May would be the safest and latest bet. The AUS-USA Airfare war is on full swing, but these really cheap fares (as in $900 return) have just ended for this year (now $1200), so they should be out for next year...I will guess and say Late October/November this year. Dont pay anymore than $1200 direct to LAX as there are better deals coming and going. Booking early for USA Domestic Flights wont be such a problem as there sales might only be $5-30 off. I recommend V-Australia for Pacific Flights, you wont be bored or dissapointed!

Priceline.com is good, be careful about the 21 year old limit. You dont want to end up in a hotel with a minimum age of 21 cause they wont let you in. Hotwire.com is also a good site as they list if minimum age of the potential hotel on offer. Also check out hotel chains and their promo codes, I got the Crowne Plaza in Downtown Denver for $US74 a night after a Expedia $10 night discount and combined with a cheap rate. Dont forget USA Hotels charge Tax seperately to what is usually quoted as a Base rate for a hotel unless its stated its included. Tax is around 14% per night.

Keep on eye of Southwest Airlines sale fares, they are basically the Tiger/Jetstar of America expcept offer free refreshments/free baggage/leanient checkin times and do have friendly staff...and a bit of that Virgin Flair also. I picked up a fare from LAX to Florida for $110, which was 6 hours flying time after a stopver Denver. They are also the biggest airline in the world, something like 550 Boeing 737's...compared to our Jetstar's and Tigers who have a mere 7 and 25 Domestic aircraft!

New York Accom is really expensive, even during this GFC. Something decent and on sale might be around $200 a night...you could half that by staying out of the City and just subway it in. Have a look at Expedia.com and Expedia.com.au, both the same, except different rates. Its usually better to book via the .com site even though there is a Currency Difference.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Flight wise= Do not book early. Leaving it until May would be the safest and latest bet. The AUS-USA Airfare war is on full swing, but these really cheap fares (as in $900 return) have just ended for this year (now $1200), so they should be out for next year...I will guess and say Late October/November this year. Dont pay anymore than $1200 direct to LAX as there are better deals coming and going. Booking early for USA Domestic Flights wont be such a problem as there sales might only be $5-30 off. I recommend V-Australia for Pacific Flights, you wont be bored or dissapointed!

Priceline.com is good, be careful about the 21 year old limit. You dont want to end up in a hotel with a minimum age of 21 cause they wont let you in. Hotwire.com is also a good site as they list if minimum age of the potential hotel on offer. Also check out hotel chains and their promo codes, I got the Crowne Plaza in Downtown Denver for $US74 a night after a Expedia $10 night discount and combined with a cheap rate. Dont forget USA Hotels charge Tax seperately to what is usually quoted as a Base rate for a hotel unless its stated its included. Tax is around 14% per night.

Keep on eye of Southwest Airlines sale fares, they are basically the Tiger/Jetstar of America expcept offer free refreshments/free baggage/leanient checkin times and do have friendly staff...and a bit of that Virgin Flair also. I picked up a fare from LAX to Florida for $110, which was 6 hours flying time after a stopver Denver. They are also the biggest airline in the world, something like 550 Boeing 737's...compared to our Jetstar's and Tigers who have a mere 7 and 25 Domestic aircraft!

New York Accom is really expensive, even during this GFC. Something decent and on sale might be around $200 a night...you could half that by staying out of the City and just subway it in. Have a look at Expedia.com and Expedia.com.au, both the same, except different rates. Its usually better to book via the .com site even though there is a Currency Difference.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! great information you have provided :D
I was thinking about couch surfing New York with a bunch of people around my age with my friends. What about flights to Ohio or Chicago, is it also cheap ? (Mid West I heard it's not as expensive as East/West) and where should I find information in travelling city to city (if the option is not plane but by bus, train etc) and how much do you recommend me I should carry if I'm planning to travel for 3 weeks? Oh and also to add, how is the visa? do I need to get a visa document signed or something when I travel there? thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)