Best Options for Business majors? Current & Past business students please help! (1 Viewer)

nessc26

HSC
1)
is it better to choose to have only 2 majors and be able to do 2 capstone projects (and thus more experience for my resume) OR
choose one major with 2 sub-majors and have only 1 capstone project (less experience but maybe useful for more career options)

I am not sure what I want to do with my degree yet, so I would like to keep my options open, but I also recognise how important relevant industry experience is in getting a job after graduation.

2) what is the difference between marketing and marketing communication?

3)
which of these majors would have the best employment prospects?

Human Resource Management

International Business

Management

Marketing

Marketing Communication

Tourism Management

thank you!

kat12345

HSC
N/A
1) Two majors, if relevant to another, will be an advantage. Two unrelated majors (Ie Accounting and Tourism Management). If you can't decide on two that go together, a sub major that would give you more appropriate skills would be better. (Ie. Major in Accounting, Minors in Taxation, Auditing etc)

2) Not sure, sorry.

3) I'd say, from highest to lowest:
-Marketing
-HR Management
-Marketing Communication

And from here down I'd not recommend because they aren't exactly sought after:
-Management
-Tourism Management
-International Business

Imo, International Business is a bit of a con. It doesn't really give you a propper skill set like Accounting or Marketing. I'd only choose this as a second major. Like, telling an employer"Oh i can manage global business" isn't exactly handy. If you were working in an international marketing firm or accounting firm, then maybe it would have use.

Management And Tourism Management are also iffy.

If you've studied Tourism at tafe and have worked in tourism then I can see the benefits, and management could be useful as a second major with HR or Marketing :)

nessc26

HSC
1) Two majors, if relevant to another, will be an advantage. Two unrelated majors (Ie Accounting and Tourism Management). If you can't decide on two that go together, a sub major that would give you more appropriate skills would be better. (Ie. Major in Accounting, Minors in Taxation, Auditing etc)

2) Not sure, sorry.

3) I'd say, from highest to lowest:
-Marketing
-HR Management
-Marketing Communication

And from here down I'd not recommend because they aren't exactly sought after:
-Management
-Tourism Management
-International Business

Imo, International Business is a bit of a con. It doesn't really give you a propper skill set like Accounting or Marketing. I'd only choose this as a second major. Like, telling an employer"Oh i can manage global business" isn't exactly handy. If you were working in an international marketing firm or accounting firm, then maybe it would have use.

Management And Tourism Management are also iffy.

If you've studied Tourism at tafe and have worked in tourism then I can see the benefits, and management could be useful as a second major with HR or Marketing :)

thank you, thats really helpful :) I'm thinking of majoring in marketing and human resources...hmmm

Kimboss

HSC
N/A
I studied International Business, it was definitley useful as I applied for jobs at International companies. It gives you the same skill set as studying marketing or management but you learn to deal with different cultures which is extremley handy in Australia, especially if you can do some studies towards the Asian region. To be honest your choice in major wont really have any affect when applying for a job, if you dont have any experience in the industry its not going to aid you at all. You will be better off doing some unpaid work or trying to get some casual work in the industry you want as opposed to fretting over which major to choose. Trust me it makes a big difference when everyone thats applying for a job has a degree, doesnt mean to much then unless you have experience!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)