Best place to Study Medical Science (1 Viewer)

Best place to Study Medical Science

• UTS

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Macquarie University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UNSW

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

adrian_1522

HSC
UTS, Macquarie Uni or UNSW?

My UAI was 86.30 & unfortunately I won't be able to Study @ Usyd

So what do you guys recommend?

Which Uni has better resources? Also what level of marks do i need to average to go into medicine afterwards? how does that all work?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Something you might want to know if you're planning on following the MedSci --> Medicine pathway:

UNSW is starting a graduate entry scheme which will allow high performing students from MedSci(hons) to enter year 4 of the undergraduate medical program, effectively allowing them to complete their MBBS in 3 years. As far as I know you can only go for graduate entry into this program if you're studying MedSci(hons) at UNSW. Hence UNSW might be worth considering given that it opens up another medical course in the sydney area. Have a read of this document - http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/resources/GradEntry/$file/GraduateEntryStream.pdf

ichiraku

HSC
I've definetly been considering MedSci(Hons) at UNSW ever since I first stumbled across that document as well. I was really regretting not having done the UMAT this year after I got my UAI (98.3) but after looking at this, I thought that maybe it might have been for the better. From what I have gathered, you effectively come out of 7 years with a MBBS and B MedSci (Hons) which I definetly like the sound of. I'm just a bit concerned about entry into the Med program as I'm sure there will heaps of other Med hopefuls there also gunning for the spot =(

Just a question though. How many students usually end up doing the honours year in the course?

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Honours is easy to get into. But getting selected into the MBBS is based on first 2 years of med sci. i.e. your wam. I wouldnt rely on it, as iirc its only 15 ppl who make it. But at least you can try for grad courses afterwards if you want.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Usually there are 60 Honours student in the School of BABS. however I cannot tell you how many are from Science, med science, or advanced science.

ichiraku

HSC
Ah thanks for that =]

I was originally planning on doing a MedSci or Advanced Science degree at either UNSW or USyd before trying for Grad Med. But the UNSW program just gives one more oppurtunity and even though I know the chances are slim to gain entry, I'm still ready to work hard at it and see how things go. My dad who works at the Garvan Medical Institute also said UNSW had some pretty strong links to it, so I guess that really appealed to me as well - especially if I was considering doing an honours year.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yep, definitely. I will be doing Honours in 2007 and I can't wait. The School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS) includes disciplines such as microbiology and immunology, biotechnology, biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics are highly focused on research so they are keen to have many Honours and PhD students as possible. The school also has close association with the Prince of Wales hospital (which also has labs to take Hons students) and the Garvan Institue like you've mentioned.

I think the new Med Sc program is great in that once you complete your Honours year (which is basically research), if it's not your cuppa tea then go for med. if you liked it, then do a PhD and continue to become a researcher.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
Honours is easy to get into. But getting selected into the MBBS is based on first 2 years of med sci. i.e. your wam. I wouldnt rely on it, as iirc its only 15 ppl who make it. But at least you can try for grad courses afterwards if you want.
It is misleading to say Honours is easy to get into. You may be able to get into Honours without a Cr average, but most of the time you will NOT get your first preference of the project and supervisor that you applied for. This is very important because in order to do well in Honours you need to like your project and get along with your supervisor.

As to the quota, 15 students aren't that small. Since a number of students who study Med Sc probably wouldn't want to apply for medicine anyway. I would say it is no more competitive than it is for high school applicants.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sounds alright for an extra 15 places.. on top of the 200ish at Usyd and that at Melb

the summer bridging course will be interesting tho =)

Umm for Grad Medicine you need the GAMSAT(google it!) + Interview + GPA for almost all unis.

Petinga

HSC
I think the uni of wollongong is a great place to study medical science due to the new graduate med program opened with its high ratings. i got a uai of 95.55, which i didtn expect and also didnt apply for umat and am regretting it now. but i am gonna go med sci at uow and apply after for the 4year graduate medicine program.

wollongong is a good choice

bboyelement

HSC
man i regret not doing the umat ... but this is great opportunity to get into medicine.

it says that you would have to do the umat while you are doing your medical science degree and from your performances in the umat you will get chosen ... is this correct? can someone clarify this?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
bboyelement said:
man i regret not doing the umat ... but this is great opportunity to get into medicine.
It's ok. you can still do the UMAT during your first yearOR second year of your medical science degree.

bboyelement said:
it says that you would have to do the umat while you are doing your medical science degree and from your performances in the umat you will get chosen ... is this correct? can someone clarify this?
The selection process will take into account not only your UMAT score, but your marks from your year 1 and 2 study in Medical Science, as well as an Interview in January after the completion of Year 2 of MedSc.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
it doesnt make a difference for the UoW program where u did ure initial bachelors degree.. as they take the best students.. not the closet ones..

so maximise ure chances at a good education not one with a medical school in proximity..

i think there is sumfing that i notice between research and medicine..

research: learning a heaps about basically 1 thing..
medicine: learning a set of lists then technique then mabbe one topic..

medicine has a larger variety cos unlike survivor39 i have done 2 research projects in 2 different areas.. one was lab work in pharmacology and another in clinical record finding in pathology..both involved lots of hours doing some very dull things too.. and its great to have the variety but its hard to get into that area of study more dedicated.. and i think that survivor39 will know his specialty better than i will know mine...

Medicine (i list the things that irk me in med)
1/ u end up learning a lot of lists..(causes of shortness of breathe.. things tat cause pneumonia etc)
2/ its frustrating and u get quizzed everyday.. its annoying.. (docs love asking u question 1st thing in the morning.. "how do u treat xyz disease?".. "wat structures are here?")
3/ u will get it wrong a lot of times... ("that is the stupidest answer i have ever heard"... is quite popular.... )
4/ ull discover that 40% of medicine is actually v.solid science.. the rest is difficult to prove or voodoo (~15-20%)
5/ there is a bit of a bitch of a hierarchy and u better be both competent and social.. or ull go nowhere fast... (think about it... a heap of v. smart and dedicated ppl how do u separate them and figure whos the best?)
6/ Time is ure worse enemy.. and u will learn to hate it.. every 25 yrs.. medicine grows 2 times.... exams will always be too short..
7/ you will forever be goin to journals and lectures to keep ure knowledge up to date.. if u dun lik it now..chances are u wont be turning up to them when ure 42.. and thing is.. u need the points to continue being registered to work.. and then if u mess up then a nice lawyer will be saying "didnt u learn that in this lecture series u participated in"

if u can put up with the above or have time to waste to prove me wrong.. go for it! =).. but there are lots of ppl that drop out or quit.. because frankly medicine isnt wat it use to be ..

i mean past this there is the nice comfortable job aspect which most ppl are familiar with .. etc etc.. but i guess i wanted to warn about the dirty... frankly i may just go the way that Survivor39 is and just do research.

see forum below.. esp posts by amfibius (?) who is about to complete specialty training ..and other docs too.. its not all parties even i thought it would be..

i think like Survivor said there is not enough ppl on BoS telling yr 12 ppl wat is going on.. UAI do not reflect university performance accurately

Last edited:

mmaannddii

HSC
N/A
adrian_1522 said:
UTS, Macquarie Uni or UNSW?

My UAI was 86.30 & unfortunately I won't be able to Study @ Usyd

So what do you guys recommend?

Which Uni has better resources? Also what level of marks do i need to average to go into medicine afterwards? how does that all work?
Hey I'm not really sure how to use this thing, but I read your post and I was kinda in the same situation, except I couldn't decide what I wanted to study- Physiotherapy or Medicine and my UAI was in the 94's.
So I did some research, and Sydney Uni has a Graduate Medical program which anyone can apply for as long as they have a bachelor degree of any kind at a credit average.
So I recommend you study something out will enjoy, and can fall back on (for me physio), or a course in which you can get credits for in a science degree or something, as it will be 'easier' for you to grasp concepts in the medical program, and if you havent decided what you want to do after completing that degree, or still want to study medicine, you should apply for the graduate program. If you are adamant in studying Medicine, I'm sure theres a way to get in, as the uni's will bend over backwards for you.
Also if you can't decide which uni to go to, Sydney uni is probably the uni with the most credentials and the lecturers are probably more experienced in their field, and they're more likely to have more affiliations with major hospitals than any other uni.
Hope this helps

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mmaannddii said:
Also if you can't decide which uni to go to, Sydney uni is probably the uni with the most credentials and the lecturers are probably more experienced in their field, and they're more likely to have more affiliations with major hospitals than any other uni.
[rant]
I pray to some deity that u dun completely believe that... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF my god and survivor39 dun..mabbe its the senility (old age) and the lack of sleep
[end rant]

That said Usyd is good .. but im going to say that its not the first and only place to do this kind of work.. an elitist view of ure undergrad yrs is not the key to success.

Sydney uni is probably the uni with the most credentials and the lecturers are probably more experienced in their field
you say this like u have been to every other uni and gone thru their ranks and CVs.. if u have congratulations.. but obviously u havent done Melb uni.. they technically are the most productive and in THEORY the highest impact factor in biomedicine in Australia.. in other Science it tends to be ANU

how does one pump up the credentials and experience in their field without being ridiculously old or talented and still have time to learn to teach?
melb uni doesnt have great lecturers.. in fact researchers with crazy credentials dun always make the best teachers.. and ure not quite ready as an undergrad to let go of them...

[Usyd] are more likely to have more affiliations with major hospitals than any other uni.
Actually they usually have the north west sydney ones.. :eek: .. UNSW have the south west sydney ones.. as a general but not 100% rule.. UWS will be taking some of Usyd and UNSW facilities for medical training in the next 3-5 yrs.. UoW will be doing the same next yr... and will have most of the southern regional ones.. and UNCLE have most of the northern regional ones.

That said.. have you done the count yet? do usyd realli have the most affiliations with major hospital.. and if so what's the use of having so many affiliations.. u only study/live so long :|?!..

i have a question to all.. find a course that suits.. not the highest UAI.. U CANT WASTE a UAI.. u can however waste ure time.. :wave:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
omg in the end no-one cares where you graduate from for government degrees.

med=med

med sci = med sci

FFS!

People are just in love with RPA because its always on tv.

jboustany

HSC
What is wrong with studying medical science at UWS exactly? I don't understand. It is clearly written that Medical programs take students in from any degree studied at any uni, provided they have done well at it. Why isn't it included in this thread?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Nothing is wrong with a Medical Science degree from UWS. It was just overlooked, is all. Just like CSU was overlooked, UNE, and UNCLE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)