Best Textbooks - English Advanced and English Extension (Prelim and HSC) (1 Viewer)

benandjerrys

HSC
N/A
What are the best textbooks for English Advanced and English Extension 1 - both preliminary and HSC course? Any other reading material suggestions? Thank You :D

keiran_osullivan

HSC
N/A
Huh, I swear we must have done the same subjects.

If you are bright at all, you will steer well clear of the Excel books for Advanced and Extension. They do an awful job at summarising the module let alone providing you with anything meaty.

You will come to understand that English is not so much about textbooks or single sources but how you synthesise a plethora of sources and even provide your own perspective. Depending on what Modules and Electives you chose, individual text study guides may or may not be helpful. I studied Michael Ondaatje's 'In the Skin of a Lion' for one of my Advanced Modules and I read probably thirty-five to thirty academic papers on his text. Some of the ideas they presented, I had not even thought about, whereas, others were like they came out of my own mouth. I found it very helpful to read your text for pleasure firstly. Then learn and understand what your module and elective is about, read academic criticism, record these ideas and then re-read the text to see how well they gel and if you are or disagree with them.

Module B, in particular, this is particularly helpful but I found it equally helpful when studying Shakespeare in Module A or de Botton in Module C.

Good luck!

whacky

HSC
Huh, I swear we must have done the same subjects.

If you are bright at all, you will steer well clear of the Excel books for Advanced and Extension. They do an awful job at summarising the module let alone providing you with anything meaty.

You will come to understand that English is not so much about textbooks or single sources but how you synthesise a plethora of sources and even provide your own perspective. Depending on what Modules and Electives you chose, individual text study guides may or may not be helpful. I studied Michael Ondaatje's 'In the Skin of a Lion' for one of my Advanced Modules and I read probably thirty-five to thirty academic papers on his text. Some of the ideas they presented, I had not even thought about, whereas, others were like they came out of my own mouth. I found it very helpful to read your text for pleasure firstly. Then learn and understand what your module and elective is about, read academic criticism, record these ideas and then re-read the text to see how well they gel and if you are or disagree with them.

Module B, in particular, this is particularly helpful but I found it equally helpful when studying Shakespeare in Module A or de Botton in Module C.

Good luck!
Excellent response! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)