Best textbooks/guides for hsc chem? (1 Viewer)

t00l

HSC
Hey guys. I know theres a stickied thread on this but it looked kinda old. Anyway i want to know what some of the best chem textbooks/guides are. *for hsc course

conquering chem is my textbook and it probably will be for yr 12. what other books are good supplementaries?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i think jacaranda is quite useful. its not the best but it tells you which syllabus dont point is covered in the next chunk of information.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I prefer Jacaranda, though Conquering Chem is fairly good. Chem contexts doesn't cover enough, but it includes more relevant equations and diagrams.

HSC
Uni Grad
conquering chemistry is the shittest thing ever and sometimes its like there is text on the page just for the sake of having text on a page. it goes into so much unnecessary detail
you may as well throw it out and use excel
Really? I haven't really used it much and prefer Jacaranda but everyone seems to really like it...

deadheadfan

HSC
I have conquering,context,spotlight,mac study and new excel.

I dislike Context(set textbook) the amount of text & useless information is daunting to, look and continue to use.
Using the old conquering which I like cause its small and basically have the same important information and content in the new edition though I have to emit the old syllabus which I can find off their website.
I love the new excel basically for the setting out that follows the dot points which makes studying so much easier and it's straight to the point with the main information. Supply this with any other textbook and you should be fine.
Spotlight, is okay but I hardly use this but their tips on how to answer questions is handful if your like me and you need emphasis on how to answer with specific terms i.e describe and explain etc, what is right etc.
Mac is adequate for a quick read or pre read before class

But then again its all down to personal preference I'm more picky like with the textbook size has I can't hoard a lot on my back(when traveling to school or library) and the layout of information is a major factor me. Plus some people like more information or anything else that differentiates/vary through textbooks/guides.

mioumiou

HSC
I have conquering,context,spotlight,mac study and new excel.

I dislike Context(set textbook) the amount of text & useless information is daunting to, look and continue to use.
Using the old conquering which I like cause its small and basically have the same important information and content in the new edition though I have to emit the old syllabus which I can find off their website.
I love the new excel basically for the setting out that follows the dot points which makes studying so much easier and it's straight to the point with the main information. Supply this with any other textbook and you should be fine.
Spotlight, is okay but I hardly use this but their tips on how to answer questions is handful if your like me and you need emphasis on how to answer with specific terms i.e describe and explain etc, what is right etc.
Mac is adequate for a quick read or pre read before class

But then again its all down to personal preference I'm more picky like with the textbook size has I can't hoard a lot on my back(when traveling to school or library) and the layout of information is a major factor me. Plus some people like more information or anything else that differentiates/vary through textbooks/guides.
Wow, that's a lot of resources for chem! :)
I've seen the layout of the New Excel book, and I have to say, it's way better than the one before!! :D It address each syllabus point very well (for the HSC ones only...)

deadheadfan

HSC
Wow, that's a lot of resources for chem! :)
I've seen the layout of the New Excel book, and I have to say, it's way better than the one before!! :D It address each syllabus point very well (for the HSC ones only...)
Half of it is from the school and the context & mac was a school purchase requirement even though our class hardly touches it :|
I mostly use conquering and excel but yeah thought I would give my opinions on the ones I have. Refrain from context.

mioumiou

HSC
Half of it is from the school and the context & mac was a school purchase requirement even though our class hardly touches it :|
I mostly use conquering and excel but yeah thought I would give my opinions on the ones I have. Refrain from context.
But I feel like Conquering Chem just jumps from places to places, one syllabus dot point can be at both the beginning of one chapter and the end of the same chapter. :(

mioumiou

HSC
Really? I haven't really used it much and prefer Jacaranda but everyone seems to really like it...
I love Jacaranda Chem wayyyyyyyy more than Conquering :D
But the calculations in conquering is easier to understand.

kevda1st

HSC
you dont need any study guides. Just use the text book you got and find past HSCers note to supplement yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)