Best time to drop a subject? (1 Viewer)

findx

HSC
Hey bos members :)

I need your thoughts on when it is the best time to drop a subject. I'm currently doing 12 units including Extension 2 Maths and Ancient History. I have found Ext2 Maths very demanding and i get hw everyday.. so im thinking of dropping ancient history because thats currently my worst subject and im kind of losing interest as it has contains heavy content

Should i drop it immediately or wait until the 1st assessment? Your thoughts? :confused2:

michaeljennings

HSC
Hey bos members :)

I need your thoughts on when it is the best time to drop a subject. I'm currently doing 12 units including Extension 2 Maths and Ancient History. I have found Ext2 Maths very demanding and i get hw everyday.. so im thinking of dropping ancient history because thats currently my worst subject and im kind of losing interest as it has contains heavy content

Should i drop it immediately or wait until the 1st assessment? Your thoughts? :confused2:
wait til first assessment, I always thought I would be dropping pdhpe in year 12 because I picked it for a bludge in yr 11 but I ended up coming 1st at the end of year 12. Just give things a chance and see how it all pans out

findx

HSC
wait til first assessment, I always thought I would be dropping pdhpe in year 12 because I picked it for a bludge in yr 11 but I ended up coming 1st at the end of year 12. Just give things a chance and see how it all pans out
thanks for your input :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'd say hold on till you are definite that it is the right choice. Otherwise you will have regret and the saddest questions nagging you of "What if...?".

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I would recommend that you wait until the first assessments are over to drop. Have a look at your results and see which is your worst performing subject!
But, even then, make sure that you don't just use marks as the sole indicator of what you drop. In my case, I was doing Business Studies, Economics and Legal Studies for the first term of year 12, I knew I wanted to get rid of one of them (I ranked 1st in all three in Year 11), and then I decided to wait until the first assessments were over. I ended up ranking 1st in business studies and 1st in Legal studies in the first assessments, and then 6th for economics (I got 29/30 but 5 people got 30/30). In the end, I decided to get rid of legal studies because even though I was ranked 1st, I considered other factors such as the fact that I enjoyed economics and really had a very supportive teacher! And it worked out for me in the end... as I state ranked economics just by going beyond the idea that 'oh, I was ranked lower in economics at first, so I should get rid of that'! hope this helps! :) and good luck making your choice !

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, as others said, do your first assessment and see how you compare to the rest of the cohort. It would also help to find past statistics of your school's performance in those subjects - by that I mean, say you're coming 21/30 in subject X but your school receives 25 Band 6s in this particular subject almost every year then it will probably be better than coming 1/50 in subject X with 0 Band 6s in the last 5 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)