Best Uni for Nursing (1 Viewer)

Mazar97

HSC
Hi guys, I Will like to know about unis in Sydney which is going to be best to study nursing at. Is ACU a good uni?
Btw I’m just doing nursing as a undergraduate degree before post graduate medicine.

quickoats

HSC
Do you genuinely want to be a nurse? You do not seem awfully interested in the career itself, but rather the 3 year degree as a stepping stone into a graduate MD program.

Nursing is a proper career - it’s not a degree you “just” do to get into graduate medicine. If you cannot see yourself being a nurse, then don’t do it.

Any degree is perfectly fine to gain entry into graduate medicine, provided you have a good GPA and GAMSAT score (bar a few unis that may have certain prerequisites which are usually first year science subjects). You may find yourself interested in a certain allied health field e.g. podiatry, or even a completely different field e.g. science education, and complete that degree AND still be eligible for graduate medicine entry. This way, you won’t have the “oh shit the BNurs -> MD plan didn’t work out and I don’t really want to be a nurse” moment in 3 years time.

If you’re interested in medicine money (which is not a good reason for you to enter the profession, but that’s a different story), something like investment banking will get you a lot more money, and a lot quicker.

That aside, my friends at UTS have good things to say about the nursing degree. From memory, it’s pretty highly regarded (high world ranking but that doesn’t really matter too much. All nursing degrees should give you the requisite training to become an RN (after 1 year internship I think).

Mazar97

HSC
Do you genuinely want to be a nurse? You do not seem awfully interested in the career itself, but rather the 3 year degree as a stepping stone into a graduate MD program.

Nursing is a proper career - it’s not a degree you “just” do to get into graduate medicine. If you cannot see yourself being a nurse, then don’t do it.

Any degree is perfectly fine to gain entry into graduate medicine, provided you have a good GPA and GAMSAT score (bar a few unis that may have certain prerequisites which are usually first year science subjects). You may find yourself interested in a certain allied health field e.g. podiatry, or even a completely different field e.g. science education, and complete that degree AND still be eligible for graduate medicine entry. This way, you won’t have the “oh shit the BNurs -> MD plan didn’t work out and I don’t really want to be a nurse” moment in 3 years time.

If you’re interested in medicine money (which is not a good reason for you to enter the profession, but that’s a different story), something like investment banking will get you a lot more money, and a lot quicker.

That aside, my friends at UTS have good things to say about the nursing degree. From memory, it’s pretty highly regarded (high world ranking but that doesn’t really matter too much. All nursing degrees should give you the requisite training to become an RN (after 1 year internship I think).
I’m going for Nursing cause it’s my second option if Medicine doesn’t work out in the future. I’m not interested in any other career.

vivillon

HSC
UTS is ranked 7th in the world for nursing so I'd say that's a good option.

Jolteon

HSC
Hi!

I actually have friends in both USYD nursing and UTS nursing and without a doubt, it's UTS. This is recognised by both the students there and those in the nursing field in general. UTS nursing offers clinical placements for first year students and overall, prepares students for the work environment as they prioritize practical skills over theory - which is crucial for any career in the medical field.

I also have a few friends in USYD nursing who chose USYD for the prestige/university name and for their parents but they themselves also agree that UTS nursing students are provided with better facilities and staff because UTS nursing is one of the university's more reputable and highly-regarded courses.

In regards to your decision on post graduate medicine, I just want to say that post graduate medicine is still difficult to get into and in the off-chance that you are unable to get into, there are also other med/health-related degrees that I recommend if nursing isn't your first and foremost passion.
I'd recommend USYD/WSU's Physiotherapy, UTS midwifery (similar to nursing but you have more agency and legal authority for certain procedures), any of USYD Applied sciences (radiography, speech pathology, occupational therapy) etc etc.

If you want more information regarding alternate paths to medicine or any more information regarding nursing, feel free to PM me and I can give you more detailed answers :)

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
I may be a little bias but I would say WSU as the staff and students alike are super supportive and you are given lots of examples to consolidate knowledge. Plus, WSU has a Top 10' ranking – the highest of any Australian institution for Nursing and is ranked 10th on the CWUR global Top 10 Institutions for Nursing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)