Best uni for studying Law? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Year 12 students - if you want to do law and are trying to figure out unis read what hfis, melsc and circusmind have to say. They're the only people on here who can be trusted not to talk shit. You will save yourself a lot of stress/confusion and will be able to invest time in more important matters like drinking games, roadtrips, and checking out the Russian chick in your crim lecture who wears the skimpy outfits. I did not say that last sentence.

circusmind

HSC
i dont think justice keiful went to uni..
Nah man she went to USyd and then Harvard. Only way to get ahead. Boy's club and all that.

Sarcasm aside, she did end up doing some sort of study at Oxbridge. I'd like to think that Kiefel shows that the system works, and that true talent always rises to the top....but I'm still cynical.

Last edited:

circusmind

HSC
checking out the Russian chick in your crim lecture who wears the skimpy outfits. I did not say that last sentence.
What's with the high number of law school femme fatales? Devastatingly beautiful and intelligent. Jeez---way to win the genetic lottery.

ephemeral

HSC
Nah man she went to USyd and then Harvard. Only way to get ahead. Boy's club and all that.

Sarcasm aside, she did end up doing some sort of study at Oxbridge. I'd like to think that Kiefel shows that the system works, and that true talent always rises to the top....but I'm still cynical.
Yeah she got the LLM at Cambridge

I like to think Justice McHugh is an example that the system works too - I don't think he ever got a law degree but made it to the top just through natural brilliance.

HSC
What's with the high number of law school femme fatales? Devastatingly beautiful and intelligent. Jeez---way to win the genetic lottery.
I reckon. Talents seemed to be heaped on people.

Speaking of law girls, I took one out from my systems class on friday night. Everything went well until I ended up reversing into someone's car.

$500 bucks out of pocket now and conversation today was awkward :(

spence

HSC
most top lawyers/barristers come from reputable unis. as mentioned earlier, if you took two students of equal level (grades, CVs, interviews, extracirriculars etc all even out (they dont have to be clones)), the student from the reputable uni will be preferred. thats the point i was trying to make and i think we have already agreed on that. theres no point comparing a the bottom student in a top uni to a top student at a no-so-top uni.
That's all well and good, but in every case there will be something to differentiate besides the institution they got their degrees from.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I heard from numerous sources that a lot of people are swarming to UWS to do law cause its so freaking easy to get into.
I know some great UWS law students who did not get a high UAI but still do great and will make great lawyers. UWS takes into account work experience (if not recent HSC grad) and low UAI's recognising you don't require a high UAI to be a good law student. Even if UWS law is easy to get into, itisnt easy to stay in, as is any law course!

We law girls are hot ;) and there are lots of us!

Last edited:

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
How is Law @ UTS? I might transfer there from Usyd because they have a straight undergrade B law, I hate doing combined.

HSC
How is Law @ UTS? I might transfer there from Usyd because they have a straight undergrade B law, I hate doing combined.
I'd be there if I lived in Sydney. On their site there's a section where you can browse where their graduates end up. Quite a few get jobs in top tier firms, and that's only the people who give information after graduation.

xxJTxx

HSC
You're not very good at this whole Internet thing are you
C10124 Bachelor of Laws : UTS Faculty of Law
LOL. priceless.

yes, uts does offer straight law. why arent you happy with combined? i mean surely there is one combination you would enjoy? after all, it only adds an extra year.

im currently doing com/law at usyd. do i regret choosing com? yes. i chose it on the basis of job prospects.
big mistake.
they are 100% right when they say choose based on interest for your other half of the degree. cause you end up enjoying uni so much more.

where are you atm? i was first year business/law at uts..now com/law at usyd..i wouldnt go back to uts even if i got a scholarship there.

the fact is: usyd is the most competitive, prestigious university. the calibre of graduates is MUCH higher than any other university. your cohort are all students in the 97+ uai range, or have transferred in with a d avg (and 97+) (even students who got in on an equity basis have high 97+ uais). uts on the other hand, has students doing combined law with uai's of 87..89..etc. these are the students who got in via equity programs.

studying at university with people of high calibre drives you to push yourself. :D

Snooty

HSC
My bad, misread; am high on life, caffeine and variants.

I thought the dude wanted to transfer from UTS to UNSW. Still, baaad, and besides, with I dunno, a year left (going by HSC: 2002), why not just finish what's already been started?
That's assuming they started their law degree right after they finished the HSC

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
Yeah I was planning to start after HSC but then my mother died, I took a few years off, worked, saved money etc.

I hate doing Arts because I've failed most of the arts subjects haha. I passed all my Law subjects and got very good marks, but the arts subjects....God I hate them.

HSC
the fact is: usyd is the most competitive, prestigious university. the calibre of graduates is MUCH higher than any other university. your cohort are all students in the 97+ uai range, or have transferred in with a d avg (and 97+) (even students who got in on an equity basis have high 97+ uais). uts on the other hand, has students doing combined law with uai's of 87..89..etc. these are the students who got in via equity programs.
Quality of student = quality of course? fuck me, I may as well bin my arts degree as soon as I graduate.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
itt; butthurt students from uts/uws/other non unsw/usyd unis try and justify why their uni is in anyway comparable to unsw/usyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)