• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best unis in Australia (1 Viewer)

juggernaut

HSC
how come in movies they make out admission to brown university is like so amazingly redicuously competitive and to get in you have to be soooo genius, yet its not even in the top 100 ?

(talking about oc where summer is labelled as genius cause she gets into brown but seth misses out)

same with how yale is like pinnacle of education yet a place called massachusettes institute of tech has same ranking....... ive never even heard of it -_-

also how come we don't have private university's in Australia ? they look so cool, wish i went to one in the states :D

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
juggernaut said:
how come in movies they make out admission to brown university is like so amazingly redicuously competitive and to get in you have to be soooo genius, yet its not even in the top 100 ?

(talking about oc where summer is labelled as genius cause she gets into brown but seth misses out)

same with how yale is like pinnacle of education yet a place called massachusettes institute of tech has same ranking....... ive never even heard of it -_-

also how come we don't have private university's in Australia ? they look so cool, wish i went to one in the states :D
Have you heard of M.I.T?

That's the well known name for Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

juggernaut

HSC
nope.

but i just checked out private uni costs... 48,000$ for one year attendance at brown

my goodness

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
juggernaut said:
nope.

but i just checked out private uni costs... 48,000$ for one year attendance at brown

my goodness
University in the States is very expensive and they don't have a scheme like HECS. Instead they have financial aid or student loans. Both of which carry interest.

On the other hand a lot of kids attend public high schools which are, like here, free for the most part. So it's kind of a trade off.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
With a pen and paper.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
juggernaut said:
I find it funny that you've never heard of MIT.. the MIT.

juggernaut said:
That's because Australia has a better education system than the US (refer to comments above about HECS). You're speaking out of ignorance about the real issues, you're referring to the reputation of the Ivy League universities rather than the concept of the 'private university'. By the way have you ever heard of Bond University?

juggernaut

HSC
Nope, no idea why i havent heard of MIT. Like you said, i guess i only have awareness of ivy league schools from movies and what not. When i said it would be cool to go to a 'private university', i did have in mind schools like yael and brown where you live in those luxurious fraternity houses and everyones loaded etc. But i guess the term private university refers to most of the US uni's

havent heard of bond either until now. just googled it - wiki didnt have much on it. is it a really good uni ?

wow just noticed they have courses i have interest in like exercise and sport science done over 2 yrs ... wish i could go there :(

ay you can also get a doctor of physio in 4 yrs (2 yrs of exercise and sport science and 2 yrs of physiotherapy)... thats crazy ?

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
juggernaut said:
Nope, no idea why i havent heard of MIT. Like you said, i guess i only have awareness of ivy league schools from movies and what not. When i said it would be cool to go to a 'private university', i did have in mind schools like yael and brown where you live in those luxurious fraternity houses and everyones loaded etc. But i guess the term private university refers to most of the US uni's
Well.. there are good things and bad things about frats. They could help an individual form a long term professional and social network. On the other hand some frats can be elitist and/or encourage downright 'yobbo-ism' (to phrase it with an Australian vernacular) promoting nothing but binge drinking and lewd behaviours.

juggernaut said:
ay you can also get a doctor of physio in 4 yrs (2 yrs of exercise and sport science and 2 yrs of physiotherapy)... thats crazy ?
I think that might be because Bond follows a trimester system, probably.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Brown is pretty shit. It's where the kids who didn't make it into a good uni go to if they want to claim they went to an ivy league school.

juggernaut

HSC
i was really suprised to find anu at 16 and melbourne at 27

good effort :D

Sound&Fury

Éminence grise
HSC
SamChenDeagle said:
Australian unis are actually overated. The ranking system used here is based on the "
THES - QS World University Rankings"

which ranked ANU higher than Stanford. lol. The reason why Aus unis are ranked so high is because we have so many international students- which is one of their stupid ranking criteria.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THES_-_QS_World_University_Rankings
This raises a good point: any attempt to rank universities is going to come under criticism because it's impossible to establish objective criteria. This point has probably been done to death on these forums before, but clearly people are obviously going to have different ideas about what actually constitutes a good uni. The Shanghai rankings, for example, places a lot of emphasis on the sciences (journal publications, Nobel Prize winners etc.)

So yeah, rankings are meant to be a guide, not a Bible. By the way, from reading Wikipedia I got the impression that Australian unis aren't ranked high because of the international students themselves, but because they aggressively market themselves overseas - which presumably leads to more favourable impressions.

aileenli

HSC
Amusing to note that Macquarie's rankings dropped heaps and about two days later, we got an internal email from none-other-than Judyth Sachs about why the ranking system sucks and we shouldn't listen to it etc., etc.

I would post it up, but like everything else the VC sends, I've junked it.

Last edited:

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
Wooz said:
We do Bond University on the Gold Coast, Full-Fee upfront for everything. http://www.bond.edu.au
hmmm was wondering if Bond Uni is any fun?

I dont care if its the worst or best uni in Australia, IS IT FUN THERE?!?!?

as in do you get to bludge and partay heaps, I might consider now cos adult life is FUCKING BORING

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)