Best way to cut down word count? (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Hi! anyone got some good tips on how to cut down word count? My research assignment for modern history has a 6 page limit but mine is currently at 10 pages which makes it super long and boring... :(

studiesofboard

HSC
My tips because I had the exact same problem for English:

- Minimise primary and secondary sources- don't use the whole quote
- if you can rewrite it - be more succinct
- Most important thing make sure you answer the question (writing too much can mean you are just writing random stuff that may not be useful an you're not answering the question)

Last edited:

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
1) Could I see it? I don't do modern so I won't copy your work.
2) If you could be more direct and less convoluted. Straight to the facts/point
3) What topic is it about?

Stole the words from my mouth.
But hey it's not as bad as not having enough like being stuck on 2 pages or the like.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
What is the question for your research essay? I also did research essay in year 11.

But hey it's not as bad as not having enough like being stuck on 2 pages or the like.
So it's two parts- research on the execution of the Romanovs and research on Batista and Castro in Cuba. We need to include 4 historian views and 4 primary sources in total with an analysis of reliability and usefulness, and that seems to be taking up a lot of word count. Thank you for the useful tips! I'll try to cut down on the quoting and reduce any verbosity.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A

It's so long and tedious, i doubt you'd be bothered even finishing the first page...

idkkdi

HSC
Hi! anyone got some good tips on how to cut down word count? My research assignment for modern history has a 6 page limit but mine is currently at 10 pages which makes it super long and boring... :(
Can you reduce font and line spacing size?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Can you reduce font and line spacing size?
that is a possibility, but the content would still remain so convoluted and the narrow margins and 1.0 spacing could project a bad impression to the markers.

idkkdi

HSC
that is a possibility, but the content would still remain so convoluted and the narrow margins and 1.0 spacing could project a bad impression to the markers.
Make font size 11 Times New Roman.
No reasonable marker cares about this. Narrow margins as well. Reduce header and footer size as well. You probably need the default spacing though, 1.15 I believe.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
No reasonable marker cares about this. Narrow margins as well. Reduce header and footer size as well. You probably need the default spacing though, 1.15 I believe.
Thanks, i'll do that. It's just that some teachers suck big time.

hschelper01

HSC
1. Delete "The"
You can often omit the word “the” from your text without losing any meaning.

Example:

Original: The clarity of your writing depends on both the content and the style.
(13 words, 70 characters)

Revised: The clarity of your writing depends on both content and style.
(11 words, 62 characters)

2. Erase “That”
Similarly, the word “that” is often overused in writing and can be deleted with ease.

Example:

Original: We found that cells that express the mutated protein migrate across the barrier faster than wild-type cells.
(17 words, 108 characters)

Revised: We found cells expressing the mutated protein migrated across the barrier faster than wild-type cells.
(15 words, 102 characters)

3. Remove Adverbs and Adjectives
Adverbs modify verbs, and adjectives modify nouns. But good words don’t need modifying.

Most adverbs and adjectives weaken strong verbs and nouns, which weaken the power of your writing. Omit unnecessary adverbs and adjectives to make your writing stronger and more concise.

Example:

Original: The entire treatment lasted for four days, and the drug greatly improved the health of patients.
(16 words, 96 characters)

Revised: The treatment lasted for four days, and the drug improved the health of patients.
(14 words, 81 characters)

4. Use Shorter Words
Resist the temptation to use long words where short ones will do. Instead of investigate, facilitate, or utilize, simply use study, help, or use.

Example:

Original: We investigated whether utilizing the drug would facilitate improvements in health.
(11 words, 83 characters)

Revised: We studied whether using the drug would help improve health.
(10 words, 60 characters)

5. Trim Wordy Phrases
Clear out the clutter in your writing. Look for needless words you can delete and lengthy phrases you can shorten.

Example:

Original: During the course of the study, the majority of cells died in response to treatment with the drug.
(18 words, 98 characters)

Revised: During the study, most cells died after treatment with the drug.
(11 words, 64 characters)

6. Choose Active Voice
Active voice uses less words than passive voice. And active voice makes your writing clearer and more compelling, helping you tell a powerful story.

Example:

Passive: The samples were collected by the researcher.
(7 words, 45 characters)

Active: The researcher collected the samples.
(5 words, 37 characters)

7. Revise Needless Transitions
Transitions can help maintain the flow of your writing—and make your reader’s job easy. But some transitions (e.g., indeed, then, furthermore) can be deleted with ease.

Example:

Original: Indeed, we discovered that the mutated protein affected heart function.
(10 words, 71 characters)

Revised: We discovered that the mutated protein affected heart function.
(9 words, 63 characters)

8. Eliminate Conjunctions
Conjunctions (e.g., and, or, but, however) connect two independent statements that can often be rewritten as two separate sentences.

Example:

Original: Patients treated with drug X had no symptoms after 3 days, and patients treated with drug Y had no symptoms after 7 days.
(23 words, 121 characters)

Revised: Patients treated with drug X had no symptoms after 3 days. Patients treated with drug Y had no symptoms after 7 days.
(22 words, 117 characters)

9. Rewrite Running Starts
Sometimes writers like to get a head start on a sentence by using phrases such as “there are,” “it is,” and “the fact that.” These phrases can be rewritten to shorten your text and make your writing more direct and concise.

Example:

Original: It has been reported that the cells migrate faster when treated with the drug.
(14 words, 78 characters)

Revised: The cells migrate faster when treated with the drug.
(9 words, 52 characters)

This may also help: https://lizbrownediting.com/7-unbelievably-easy-ways-to-reduce-word-count/

Hope it helps!

antickie

HSC
hschelper01's post is really good! I just wanted to add on:

- cut out nominalisation, i.e. don't turn what can be a verb into a noun

- avoid gerunds! So don't add -ing to your verbs and adjectives and turn them into a noun (this ties into hschelper01's point about active voice)

Using stronger verbs can eliminate 3-5 words at a time so definitely make sure all your verbs are to the point!

hschelper01

HSC
hschelper01's post is really good! I just wanted to add on:

- cut out nominalisation, i.e. don't turn what can be a verb into a noun

- avoid gerunds! So don't add -ing to your verbs and adjectives and turn them into a noun (this ties into hschelper01's point about active voice)

Using stronger verbs can eliminate 3-5 words at a time so definitely make sure all your verbs are to the point!
Oh yeah they are good points as well! Especially the "nominalisation" :eek: - I didn't think of that :biglaugh:

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
It's from here it is not mine but my school uses :)

A.L.A.R.M. - Virtual Library
Oh yeah they are good points as well! Especially the "nominalisation" :eek: - I didn't think of that :biglaugh:
THE HORROR HAHA :spzz::spzz::spzz:
Thank you everybody for the help! I'll make sure to follow such great advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)