Best way to improve English Essays? (1 Viewer)

Kulazzi

HSC
keep practicing - that also means sticking to the time limit, maybe purchase a separate book to tell you the outline of the essay, also get your teacher to check the essays you have done, see if it meets up to HSC expectations (paragraphing set out correctly, formal, not in first person etc. etc.)

wanton-wonton

HSC
Vampire said:
Apart from practising is there anything else??
why don't you practise first before asking for anything else you greedy bugger? 'cause for one thing, i know you don't practise...but neither do i :mad1:

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
GET a GOOOOOD tutor to do all your homework and assignments...SHAME they can't sit for your HSC. :vcross:

Leap

free falling
HSC
melsc said:
What are some tips 4 improving ur essays 4 English... i always seem to stuff up the assessment essays in exams?
Memorize at least a few relevent quotes from the text and use them to back up your argument, and remember to mention literary/film techniques that the composer uses to get their point across.

Kulazzi

HSC
melsc said:
What are some tips 4 improving ur essays 4 English... i always seem to stuff up the assessment essays in exams?
Leap said:
Memorize at least a few relevent quotes from the text and use them to back up your argument, and remember to mention literary/film techniques that the composer uses to get their point across.
:uhhuh: (btw leap, love your avatar :p)

astro

HSC
for every point you make always try and substantiate it...
Don't try and show off with words you're not familiar
remember the paragraphs...
strong introduction and conclusion
always proofread, especially and conclusion

and most importantly, practice, no matter how boring it may be, practicing will most definnitely improve your english skills

Last edited:

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
using sophisticated language also helps, which doesn't just mean big words. but if u chose to use big words... make sure you know the actual meanings lol i learnt that the hard way :$

oh, and the shorter the quotes u use, the better. that way u'll have lots of evidence and also remember them better :)

obzedyon

HSC
Topic Sentences!
Link back to the question. There's no point in having all this information smack bang in the middle of your essay if it doesn't somehow link to the question.

At the beginning of the essay, ask yourself "What is the question asking me to do?"
All throughout the essay, ask yourself "Am I answering the question?"
At the end, tell yourself "Yay! I've finished!"
And then skim through to see if you've missed out on any points you wanted to put in.

Of course, if I stuck to these guidelines, I'd probably be better off. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)