Best way to study for english? (1 Viewer)

only99.97

HSC
Hello everyone I have an in class comparative essay on macbeth next week, does anyone have any tips? My english was pretty bad in my report and I really need to improve ... anything is appreciated, even general tips for yr11 and 12 english

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that a good thing you can start doing is to write an analysis of Macbeth and have your teacher read it and give you feedback (if possible). You should then implement any suggestions given to you by your teacher into your analysis in order to improve its quality and then repeat this process if needed. The more you do this, the more you can improve the overall quality of your essays, which will eventually allow you to get higher marks. This will become quite relevant and needed as you begin year 12 and can also help you with your comparative essay.

Good luck! :D

only99.97

HSC
I think that a good thing you can start doing is to write an analysis of Macbeth and have your teacher read it and give you feedback (if possible). You should then implement any suggestions given to you by your teacher into your analysis in order to improve its quality and then repeat this process if needed. The more you do this, the more you can improve the overall quality of your essays, which will eventually allow you to get higher marks. This will become quite relevant and needed as you begin year 12 and can also help you with your comparative essay.

Good luck! :D
Ok thanks a lot!

Leadmen4y

HSC
It's good that you're still in year 11 so it doesn't affect your ATAR, imo the most important thing is to ensure you prioritize English because most people neglect it and it ends up dragging their ATAR down. I'm not good at English myself but after considerable efforts, I'm ranking decently in my standard cohort at the moment, what worked for me was actively seeking feedback from your teachers, peers (if they're qualified of course) and actively implementing them into your writing. Also if you're struggling I'd recommend a private tutor, unfortunately I'm still looking for one myself.

This is the subject that'll always count towards your ATAR, so it's definitely really important to use year 11 as a learning experience. I definitely regret not putting enough effort in prelim and had to spend so much time to pick up the basics in year 12. Again, PRIORITIZE English, it's THE most important subject.

ColdMint123

HSC
for me, improving in English from year 11 to 12 was,
1. Investing more time into it because it was by far my worse subject in year 11.
2. Actively seeking feedback from literally anyone, especially your teachers and qualified classmates.
3. Making sure that you are doing practice essays or at least writing introductions and scaffolds to practice essay questions and getting them marked.

Just recently for my mod A in class essay, i wrote about 12 introductions to 12 different essay questions and a couple of full essays that were then marked by my school teachers as well as my tutor. Make sure you are actually implementing the feedback you get back into your essays. If you do this consistently, without doubt you will improve.

Goodluck!

veridian

HSC
Know your prescribed texts in depth. Personally, in Year 11 I memorised my essays word for word, but this might not work for everyone (it saved me a lot of brain ache during the exam as I already knew what to write). Ensure that you know enough quotes to back up your statements. If it is due by next week you should already have created an essay by now (or at least an essay plan) but if you haven't, I recommend looking throughout this website to find some examples that can help you get started.

Ps. Year 11 isn't that major in comparison to Year 12 (No need to stress), but it is good for preparation.

Good Luck B)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)