Best way to tackle upcoming english exam (1 Viewer)

Aaron6693

HSC
Hi Aaron, your post really relieved me :), i'm memorising my essays but getting really freaked that a questions gonna pop up that's gonna be totally different to my response

I wanted to ask about the poems for mod B. I'm doing Slessor, and because there is very little on the net for the poems, I only did an analysis on 3 poems. Do you think its important to do all of them and then memorise the analysis on all of them? I really don't know how to approach this module, and am very scared that they might specify again this year. What should i memorise for this module

Also, what do you think are the chances that they might ask for two related texts for belonging & mod c? threes only 8 days left and I have to do another related text for each, and then memorise it

I'm really nervous for english :(
Trust me, EVERYONE is always nervous for English, especially since its usually the first HSC exam for most people haha. Don't worry you'll be fine.

When you start reading time, there is no doubt gunna be a minute when you start FREAKING THE HELL OUT if things look strange. Just imagine how my cohort felt when they specified a god-damn text -_- Once this happens, and it is likely, re-read the question again and it'll probably make more sense. Like the question for Module B said something along the lines of "how does the last stanza of Among School Children blah blah blah". A lot of people were stumped thinking you were only allowed to talk about the last stanza but no, just do your normal analysis along with a couple sentences connecting the question. And change simple things around if its appropriate. Like my memorised response was "Leda & the Swan", then "Among School Children" then "The Second Coming", but in the exam I put "Among School Children" first.

The way most of us approached Module B, considering there were many rumours last year about BOS specifying a poem, was to memorise a few of them. For Yeats, I had 3 memorised, and 1 sorta half-known just in case, out of the 7 that were set to study. I know of only one person who memorised all 7.

Personally, I wouldnt memorise all poems despite having been put in the situation of them specifying. It's a LOT of work to do, and you run the risk of burning out. So yes, its is DEFINITELY a risk in not memorising all of them, but I'd rather run the risk and just cover myself with a few poems rather than burn out and forget everything haha. But ultimately its up to you, as you're the one risking it. On a side note, if they specify one you havnt done...literally just bullshit for your life. Write the other analysis for the other poems as normal, and then just BULLSHIT anything and everything, as you're better off writing something than nothing.
(The amount of kids who abused the shit out of the Stanza they provided in Module B last year coz they hadnt studied it was crazy, and I personally know about 15 people who did that and received Band 6's still)

Aaron6693

HSC
Also, what do you think are the chances that they might ask for two related texts for belonging & mod c? threes only 8 days left and I have to do another related text for each, and then memorise it

I'm really nervous for english :(
And in regards to this, I've got no idea. BOS can be either cruel or kind with this one. It's easier to prepare for Belonging so that you're covered either way as its only the one essay you're doing in Paper 1. I'd definitely prepare your Belonging essay with 2 related texts. The key is to identify before-hand, when you're memorising, how you'd go about the question in either scenario.

So during reading time, as soon as you see "...1 related text..." forget about the 2 related text you memorised. In the case they ask for two, forget the extra parts in belonging and sub in Related Text 2 where you want it :)

UCC

HSC
I break everything up into smaller sections, for longer texts I break essays up into a discussion of each character, or theme. The best way to remember your essays is to know the text(s) you are studying really really well, and to make sure you practice hand writing each essay in 40 minute blocks. Memorising word for word is pointless, to me anyway. You need to make sure you know the content backwards, then writing simple notes on themes and techniques will be enough to answer any type of question they throw at you. No matter what the question is, if you know the techniques of the text, you'll be able to write a solid response!

jane bubble

HSC
The way most of us approached Module B, considering there were many rumours last year about BOS specifying a poem, was to memorise a few of them. For Yeats, I had 3 memorised, and 1 sorta half-known just in case, out of the 7 that were set to study. I know of only one person who memorised all 7.
Wow, thanks A LOT for that advice. Really helped!
Do you mean memorise the poems, or the analysis on the poem?

kirslyn

HSC
Honestly, i reckon the easiest way is to remember quotes, thesis' and themes, then mould your response in the exam. But in this next week, i would use this and try as many practices questions possible with your time. It sounds like alot of work, but it works. Although everyone has their own ways of studying, and this is just my personal preferance

Skeptyks

HSC
hey arron6693, what did you mean by this? "... where they SPECIFIED a text for Module B, "

Aaron6693

HSC
hey arron6693, what did you mean by this? "... where they SPECIFIED a text for Module B, "
Probably could have made that clearer. I meant that in relation to the fact that for Module B in the 2011 HSC Paper, they specified a particular poem/speech/whatever that you HAD to use in your essay.

So in my case, I was studying Yeats' Poetry for Module B, and there were 7 poems (i think) all up that were set to study for the year. Typically in the exams previous to 2011 the questions would just be all "write an essay using 2 (or 3..whatever they decided) poems"

In my oh-so-lucky year, BOS actually stated a specific poem that we HAD to talk about...so if you were like 95% of the state that only really focused on 3 or 4 poems thinking you could just write about that, and didnt prepare for the one that was specified...it was much harder to complete the essay.

Skeptyks

HSC
Probably could have made that clearer. I meant that in relation to the fact that for Module B in the 2011 HSC Paper, they specified a particular poem/speech/whatever that you HAD to use in your essay.

So in my case, I was studying Yeats' Poetry for Module B, and there were 7 poems (i think) all up that were set to study for the year. Typically in the exams previous to 2011 the questions would just be all "write an essay using 2 (or 3..whatever they decided) poems"

In my oh-so-lucky year, BOS actually stated a specific poem that we HAD to talk about...so if you were like 95% of the state that only really focused on 3 or 4 poems thinking you could just write about that, and didnt prepare for the one that was specified...it was much harder to complete the essay.
Oh right, fair enough. Luckily I do Hamlet haha.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I write and memorise notes for english

onedaysnotice

HSC
Oh right, fair enough. Luckily I do Hamlet haha.
Yeah it was somewhat the same with Hamlet as well though. They were asked to make Fortinbras' monologue at the end (I think, can't remember) the basis of their essay. Arguably easier than confining them to a specific poem or what not, but still a major pain in the ass aha.

Skeptyks

HSC
Yeah it was somewhat the same with Hamlet as well though. They were asked to make Fortinbras' monologue at the end (I think, can't remember) the basis of their essay. Arguably easier than confining them to a specific poem or what not, but still a major pain in the ass aha.
Yeah, true.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I use mnemonics! The more obscure/rude/weird it is, the more likely you are to remember. So far I have no trouble remembering the basic points of my essays, which adds up to about 500 words that are very summarised. This gives me lots of freedom and time to devote to answering the question freely.

For example, in my Shakespeare essay for Module A, I have a paragraph kind of like this:

Explores role of religion

Dream is riddled with the supernatural, contrasting quotes of Richard/Richmond.

Contextually refers to the religious paradigm that is at the heart of Shakespearean society.

Anthropomorphism- “The bloody dog is dead!”

And then I make a mnemonic using the first letter of each paragraph, like so.

Every Dickhead Can't Act

I write down all of these at the start, and kick start my essay from there :)

Demise

HSC
I use mnemonics! The more obscure/rude/weird it is, the more likely you are to remember. So far I have no trouble remembering the basic points of my essays, which adds up to about 500 words that are very summarised. This gives me lots of freedom and time to devote to answering the question freely.

For example, in my Shakespeare essay for Module A, I have a paragraph kind of like this:

Explores role of religion

Dream is riddled with the supernatural, contrasting quotes of Richard/Richmond.

Contextually refers to the religious paradigm that is at the heart of Shakespearean society.

Anthropomorphism- “The bloody dog is dead!”

And then I make a mnemonic using the first letter of each paragraph, like so.

Every Dickhead Can't Act

I write down all of these at the start, and kick start my essay from there :)
Hahah great idea, I want to try it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)