Best/Worst Novel (2 Viewers)

bleu

HSC
i really enjoyed the obernewtyn chronicles!

Jodi Picoult, on the other hand.....terrible. I hated Ninetenn minutes, didn't get past the first chapter.

I read a review recently in the SMH of her new book and it didn't have one good thing to say. Picoult's stuff is ghastly.

HSC
Children of Men by P.D James
The Skull Beneath the Skin by P.D James

Probably anything by P.D James....

I strongly agree about Maestro, I hated that book passionately as well as Only the Heart by some other author. Also, whilst I applaud the subjects in Brave New World, I cannot get into that book. The narration bores me.

bawd

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
I love Pride and Prejudice. Emma? Not so much. lol
Agreed.

We read Pride & Prejudice in Year 10 and it was enjoyable, the characters being so lively and hilarious. Emma on the otherhand, seems a little toned down and there is not much oh-my-god action. :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
bawd said:
Agreed.

We read Pride & Prejudice in Year 10 and it was enjoyable, the characters being so lively and hilarious. Emma on the otherhand, seems a little toned down and there is not much oh-my-god action. :)
I havent read P & P but I have read Emma. I just couldnt get into the novel. There wasnt really anything that held my attention.

stillwaters

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
I havent read P & P but I have read Emma. I just couldnt get into the novel. There wasnt really anything that held my attention.
i was the opposite :p i couldnt get into emma... but maybe that was cause the copy of emma i had was really stinky and old and decrepit... while my pride and prejudice copy is glossy and has a picture of mathewmacfayden as darcy on the cover *sigh*

but best novel ever: i always keep coming back to girl with a pearl earring by tracy chevalier because its so repressed yet romantic... i dont really have any novels i think are best though

worst novel(s) - man... those pulpy SF/ Fantasy books where the female characters all tend to have flaming green eyes and long dark hair, are graceful yet well versed in swordplay etc. etc. etc. etc. gaaaaahhh

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i turly cannot say what my absolute favorite is the list just goes on forever

but my least favourites are In The Skin Of A Lion and The English Patient by Michael ONDDJATEE (or however he spells his name) had to read the first for english, and read the second just to get a feel for his writing I BURNT MY COPY OF THE ENGLISH PAITENT IT SUCKED. I really could not stand his writing style, there was too much imagery and very explicit imagery in itsoal very explcit. and the characters seemed very arogant and dis-similar to reality. YUCK. DIE DIE YOU EVIL BOOKS!

ryzo

HSC
Best Book: Anything by Eddings

Worst: A Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: boring, boring, boring takes 10 pages to describe a field and goes nowhere fast. So bad i didnt finish it

MoonWildFlower

HSC
best:
- the bible
- the obernewtyn chronicles (isobelle carmody)
- anything by matthew reilly (apart from contest...i didn't much like that one)
- stuff by ted dekker
- the legendsong (isobelle carmody)
- the axis trilogy (sara douglass)
- to kill a mockingbird (harper lee)
- goodnight mister tom (michelle magorian)
- lily and me (aaron moses)
- don't pat the wombat (elizabeth honey)
- sadako and the thousand paper cranes (eleanor coerr)
- the da vinci code (dan brown)

and i might stop there, because i could probably go on forever...

worst:
- anything by jane austen
- the unfortunate events series (lemony snicket)
- jane eyre (charlotte bronte)

it saddens me that people dislike the obernewtyn chronicles. and even more so that they spell it incorrectly.

spiny norman

HSC
MoonWildFlower said:
best:
- the bible
Nah. The Old Testament's really cool, with people turning into salt and being eaten by whales and shit like that, but then comes the New Testament which is basically just a bunch of preaching.

A really disappointing follow-up, and a further example that a sequel can never live up to its original.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)