Better guitarist (1 Viewer)

Who do you think is a better guitarist

• Stephen Malkmus

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Jonny Greenwood

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
HSC
I dont expect this poll to go very far, but i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on either of these guitarists.
just to make it clear, Stephen Malkmus was the singer/guitarist from Pavement, and Jonny Greenwood is the lead guitarist in radiohead.

Jonny Greenwood was my favorite guitarist for years. His playing is very simplistic and powerful but fairly heavily steeped in theory. His guitartone is fairly essential to his playing, and outside of the studio he seems to be a very sloppy player.

Stephen Malkmus on the otherhand was all over the shot on Pavement records. There were moments of brilliance, where you knew he must have been pretty good, but he was so horribly inconsistant (mostly due to the fact he was so stones all the time). However his work with the Silver Jews and his solo efforts proved that he was actually a very clever and tasteful guitarist. Like jonny greenwood he is fairly simplistic, but i think his playing displays much more playful character

anyway, my vote is with malkmus.

artfag

Banned
HSC
malkmus too. i don't find greenwood impressive at all

HSC
yay
im expecting jonny greenwood to win, he's much better known.
he's had some excelent moments, such as the solo in the tourist, but largley i think he is pretty over rated by radiohead fans
he's good, but they act like hes the best guitarist in the universe.

artfag

Banned
HSC
radiohead are a bore

i used to be into them but there's just heaps of better music out there and i don't see the appeal anymore

oh, and fuck thom's voice

funniboi

HSC
What about ERIC CLAPTON ?

his guitar solo for classical gas = owns!!

taxman

make poverty
HSC
OK, I voted Johnny...but he is extremely over-rated. I think his versatility is what does it for me, I mean, he can play perfectly on so many different styles of tracks, from 'The Bends' and 'Airbag' to his defining moment in Bodysong, which was a brilliant CD.

Anybody know about his secret gig in Melbourne after Radiohead cancelled the last show? Apparently, he was spotted busking in Melbourne with a small crowd watching him. But hey, this could well be false...who believes anybody from the ateaseweb forums?

HSC
and the thing about bodysong is that its more of a demonstration of his arangement skills than anything else.
certainly not his ability as a guitarist, which is what this thread was asking.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Valid point. Very valid point. It's Year 9 english all over again...ANSWER THE QUESTION MAX! ANSWER THE QUESTION!

I apologise for turning this thread to shit via my un-intelligent non knowingness of music...I think I'll just leave it to the musos...Cheers for the hatin.

HSC
ohh its even stephen (malkmus)
thats a line old malky would dig with a spoon.

speaking of pavement, the gold soundz clip was just on rage. god they have some shithouse filmclips. i love them.

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
oops...i meant to vote for johnny but for some reason shtevey is in italics...oh well u guys know my true feelings. snaps for "thinking of you". maybe not the most astounding bit technically, but such love. such love.

HSC
welshi said:
oops...i meant to vote for johnny but for some reason shtevey is in italics...oh well u guys know my true feelings. snaps for "thinking of you". maybe not the most astounding bit technically, but such love. such love.
uh jonnys part in thinking about you was all of one note.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)