Better prospects: Law @ Macquarie or Commerce (Honours) @ Usyd? (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
Which one has the better job prospects?

I ask because I really have no preference at this point.

I did economics this year and I found business subjects to be mildly interesting. It definitely wasn't a total bore but I don't want to spend the rest of my life drawing graphs either. In terms of grades, I did OK. I managed to get into the economics honors course at Usyd. However, I did find the business statistic units challenging.

Meanwhile, the only thing I've done related to law are legal studies (back in high school) and a socio-legal elective. Again, I did well enough for myself but no real interest whatsoever. I mean, I remember memorising the legal studies syllabus with little motivation while at uni I skipped the readings half the time (like I would just read the blurb or choose one out of the three to read then volunteer to answer the first question). I mean its not uninteresting (especially the concepts) but I found stuff to be too repetitive and essays tend to waffle on and on.

In the end, I don't know. I know several of my friends have already found their passion in their life. Good for them. Meanwhile, I drift along doing alright but still haven't found my specific niche.

So yeah. My question is really simple. Since I can't decide on a subjective (i.e. feeling) basis, I've decided to go with the safest option. I mean, its a shot in the dark either way so therefore, in this case, I am just going to go with the degree which gives me the highest income and the highest stability after graduation.

Which is it?

Thanks.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're doing honours, that's a big plus because it gives you time to figure out that niche you're looking for and do an in-depth study of it. Considering that, it's a great way to open doors.

Also a Commerce degree is flexible due to the variety of majors you can choose from.

Darth_UNSW

HSC
I've been told that HSC economics and legal are very dissimilar to university commerce and law respectively. Do you mean you want to do commerce/law at Macquarie or the new "stand-alone law degree." Either way I'd go for USYD. If you do well you might even be able to transfer to commerce/law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)