better than school? (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what do u uni people think?? is it better than school? what's different? is the work load better? etc. etc.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Uni workload is much more than HSC

but u have way more freedom, less hours (unless u do med, science or engineering) and more relaxed

so in a sense its better than school
except for all the assessments...n exams...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
personally, i like uni

less hours (i have about 12!!! and a 4 day weekend. so there.)
no uniform
lotsa people who like doin the same stuff as you

but there usually is lots more work... despite my few hours, i have...

*thinks*

...five assignments at the moment. all weighted 20% plus. :eek:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
unless u really have no life, u cant possibly do ALL the work assigned for the whole semester for ALL your subjects!

they tell u cramming doesnt work at uni, but for one of my subjects it sure did!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hmm sounds harder than i thought

what about the social aspect?

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by mp3mojo
r u sure? ive got lik 19hrs & i also do software eng
depends on which elective u do. also depends on whether u do higher or normal computing, so yea .... whats ur elective?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Uni sucks big time.
just thought I'd let u see the other side of the spectrum, the side where you spend 3 hours a day on public transport, haul yourself out of bed at 5:30 for 8am lectures, cram in lecture theatres with really crappy wooden seats (thats if u get a seat at all), with 28 hours a week spent in a mix between holding your eyelids open in boring lectures, fuming with rage over the fact that some selfish person has "lost" the library book u desparately need for your assesment, getting stuck in tutes for hours because some imbecile still doesnt get something, not being able to readily access help for anything, having quizzes which count towards your final mark 4 days a week......

..... paying nearly $600 in union fees for facilities that you dont even use, or are completely outdated, getting millions of pamphlets shoved in your face anytime you walk anywhere, not getting help at the lost property office even when you are blind because you've lost your glasses, getting blamed in labs because the microscope is broken when you didnt even touch it, trying to type up assesments on computers that take 2 hours to log on, get crappy marks and have no idea why, getting your exam marks but never seeing the exam, never knowing if they may have miscalculated something that would have just pushed you over the line to getting a distinction......

.....Competing against people who topped the state in some subjects, never even having a chance really, against all the Ruse geniuses, wasting so much valuable time hiking between lectures, pracs, tutes, hauling lab coats gogges, manuals, notebooks, pens, calculators, dissection kits around all day (remember, no lockers) almost getting run over by p-platers in beamers driving straight through pedestrian crossings, getting lost in the library trying to find a book that exists only on the computer screen, not on the shelf, rallying for fee cuts even though u know its pointless, looking sadly into your wallet only to remember that you spent all your money on notebooks, train tickets, union fees, lab manuals, dissection kits, coats, goggles and buying newspapers.

I'm glad some people are enjoying uni, but i'm just not.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
HOW IS THE WORKLOAD IN UNIVERSITY?

I heard it is 2hrs prepreation for every 1hr at UNI, NOW THATS TOO MUCH for example 16x2 = 32 OMFG......

who da hell has that much TIME?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
about the workload......i do 40 unit points at uni a semester, 10 points a subject. theoretically, i am to do an hour of work for each credit point i do (this includes face to face class time), so minus my 11 hours class time, i should be doing 29 hours of work a week. hahah, fuck that.

i do much more work than i did during the hsc though

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
mambomeg - really? dnt worry, apparently the 1st yr is the worst and then it gets better

and that much work?? well what is it less stressful than the hsc?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
no no the getting around & getting 2 know people aspect gets better.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Asquithian
i have the feelin for arts law that it gets worse :(
that's one HUGEEEEEEE sig! :p

Morgues

all I can say is to make sure you enjoy the course you are doing otherwise uni becomes so boring/expensive/dull that it is almost unbarable

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I'm doing animal science. It's just not what I want to do, and its not what I expected, which is why i hate it so much, I dont see the point of most of the stuff i'm learning. but, yeah, i've heard that 1st year is worst, so heres hoping for better things to come.

for me its more stressful than the HSC because I have to get a distinction average to transfer, but i for all my friends its way less stressful than the HSC. but exams are more stressful because you have less time to prepare.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
what uni do you go to??

a friend of mine told me (note: this is very callous i hope it does not offend anyone).... that uni is just packed with teachers pets, pretentious wankers and rich north shore types looking for a way to waste time until they inherit daddy's business

Giant Lobster

HSC
in that case i guess ill fit into the pretentious wanker category :p

dang mambomeg if uni sucks the way u depict it then... whoa. 3 hrs for transport, thats just cruel.

ErgoSum

HSC
Uni isnt that bad

But i wont say its better than school, at least not yet.
For me uni is pretty similar to school, since i went to a quite relaxed public school, uni is more of the same just BIGGER. As for each hour at uni being one hour at home... thats pretty much bull.. depending on your course. If you do arts, or other courses where there is lots of reading then maybe.. but i find for my engineering course that i spend maybe 8 or 10 hours a week on homework and usually in one or two lumps of 4 hours... This and i get pretty good marks so i dont think im doing nething wrong..I think its your lectures to tutorials ratio thats important.. most arts ppl have like 90% of their time in lectures and 10% if any time in tutes.. whereas im doing engo and i have 10 hours of lectures and 15 hours of tutes...
so i pretty much am forced to revise what i learn at uni.. so much less homework for me
The only things i do at home are revision of stuff that i didnt understand well in class, assignments and making up for missed lectures (cos i like to sleep in).

The social scene is pretty variable in first year, ive been attending a lot of society events but you get mostly 3rd and 4th year students attending. Sydney uni has a pretty good social scene compared to most uni's though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)