better than school? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Kittycat
When people say that uni's workload is harder than HSC, like how much more is it? 2x, 3x or 4x more?
How do you assign a numerical value to difficulty?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
we have this great view of uni - i hope it lives up to my expectations

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
From this thread? What have you been readin'??? :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
no not from this thread
from my preconceived ideas
u've all shattered them! *sob sob*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Oh, Uni. people on this forum ain't a good indication of Uni. you should ask the people gettin' drunk and partyin' 24-7! :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by flyin'
Oh, Uni. people on this forum ain't a good indication of Uni. you should ask the people gettin' drunk and partyin' 24-7! :p
who says we haven't been. :p

Quick word of advice: the only reason the uai cut-off for usyd law was so ridiculously high was so as to provide a buffer for all the brain cells u're going to slaughter from all the unlimited alcohol law society parties! :D ;) :D ;) :D

as for societies, i joined like 7, but am only on the exec for 2...You can make time if thats what you want. A lot of events tho i cant attend coz they're on during lectures or when i'd rather be home, out with friends or when i'm at work etc...I just wish i had tme for sport. Its annoying coz the games are at weird hours at faraway places in sydney, so havnt had a chance to play anything yet :( Every thing is up to the individual tho! :D

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Apparently you are supposed to allocate three hours study time per one hour of contact. (like for 12 contact hours you should have 36 additional self-study hours a week)
omg NO that's ridiculous ! think about the med people, they do 30 hours a week, imagine doing 90 hours of STUDY dayum !

haha no no that is abosolute bullshit, there is no such thing as 'right amount of study' in uni, you just do what you have to do dependin on your course..

and yeah, in fear of depressing everyone- uni is by far better than high school in terms of social-ness, you finally get to step into the 'real world' and meet a LOT of interesting people from various backgrounds

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
well, my uni has been coming on lately about how you should do an hour of work each week for each credit point you are doing.......normal student does four subjects of ten credit points each, therefore should be doing 40 hours of work a week, although this is including face to face work.
so theoretically, i should be doing 29 hours of work a week at home
*cough*

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Argh u're depressing the high-schoolers!

Uni is brilliant. Or it is if u make it brilliant. I personally love it, but thats because its a course i really enjoy and am surrounded by a lot of great and interesting people. There's lots of opportunitites to get involved, try new things, meet new people - if you don't take them of course it'll be merely a place that is far from home that gives lots of work. Yes it is hard to get organised and stay on top of the work once u dont have teachers there to spoonfeed you, but again, u're gonna have to be independent at some point in ur life, u may as well make the most of it! :D Go with a positive attitude and u'll love it! :D
okay, i'd like to see you go in with a positive attitude when u get up a 5:30 every morning to go sit in classes such as "agricultural economics" and Biometry. Last semester I had 28 hours a week. Including travel time (about 15 hours), thats more than a full time business workload (as in out in the real world), and then, I have to go home and study my arse off, while working to support my self, and being "actively involved in my community" so that I can transfer.
You can be as happy (or high) as it is possible to be, but eventually, you will be worn down, and realise how much it sux.

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Apparently you are supposed to allocate three hours study time per one hour of contact. (like for 12 contact hours you should have 36 additional self-study hours a week)
thats only recommended!! but if ure quick at grasping things, u shouldnt have any problem .... i spent not more than 5-10 hrs a week outside of classes and ended up with a 73.5 % average in session 1. but again, thats session 1, where everything is relatively easy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)