Bias in data collection (1 Viewer)

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
Alright this is a stupid question.

What on earth is bias in data collection? I've looked through my book and it's like nowhere.
I think this is in TPS

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
yea it is

bias is unfairly skewing data to lean towards a particular result. SO in the context of data collecting its where the views of the person collecting or entering the data influences what is actually entered in the system ,

e.g in a POS system the recorded transactions stored in the data warehouse for sale of products could perhaps be graphed by the manager who is a dickhead.. in a distorted way so as a partiuclar product would show more sales than others... i dunno why maybe to get a discount from the suppliers of that product?

Or like a cocksucker of a candidate standing for a electoral position may be lucky enough to be allocated the job of keying in voting results for an election. now because he likes cock so much , he could be tempted to chagne the actual vote for the candidate because maybe he only got 1500 votes or something. This is more a practical example , but still the actual process of voting could be seen as a transaction , so meh its like a manual tps example..

Last edited:

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
You should hv done a tonne of stuff on bias

Straight out of Excel book - Bias occurs when atttiude of person collecting data affects what data is included in the sample.
eg collecting data from mainly whoite, Anglo Saxon males about a general population issue would result in biassed data.
or my example tends to be
a phone survey only conducted between 10am and 2 pm would be bias against students and people who worked, since they wouldnt normally be there to give their opinion.
The data would not be truly representative and thus not really accurate.
Surveys often ask the same question, but in different ways to minimise bias in response. Questionairres that do not have to have your name on it .. can give both good and bad responses, honest - cause you arent scared of consequences, inaccurate cause without yr name you dont give a damn.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
If you were looking at the 2003 paper Qu 25 TPS
the suggested response was:

Bias in data collection is where either the questions are skewed to obtain a desired result or only a subjective group of people are surveyed or the questions are not objective but subjective.
For example, the NSW police enter into their statewide database system the incidents that occur throughout NSW. A witness' statement is entered into the database about an incident. If the witness does not know the accused, the statement would most likely be objective. However, if the witness KNEW the accused, the statement would most likely be biased in favour of the accused and not factual.

rayeman

HSC
Thanks Lwaxana and Seraph, I think I get it now, but where did you get your suggested answer from? Is there a document that I can download from somewhere that has all the suggested answers?

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
oh , i learnt those answers i think from the heinemen book and also from various exam responses .... but the concept is very common

rayeman

HSC
Ahh, we use the Jacaranda, and theres nothing that we can find specifically on it. Thanks for the help though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)