Bias! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Bias!
Hi! just wondering, for speeches, is it possible that your teacher is bias against you? I mean all teachers can be bias, but can they be like 'going to take marks off because I don't like that person'?

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
See if you can find the article

"Turning realities of school assessment to student's advantage" by Mark Lopez

Very interesting reading, exploring bias in the education system

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Obviously there may be some tiny fluctuations in your mark due to different interpretations or bias-based reasons. In these kind of situations there should be at least 2 teachers listening to the speech and then average the score. If there aren't at least 2 teachers listening to your speech and you get a mark you 'believe' isn't correct, then I would advise you to speak to the Dean of English to arrange an alternative method.

WeaselPowa

HSC
I highly doubt they only get one English teacher to mark a test of every single student. The speech should be marked by a teacher, and then critically judged by other teachers of the English department to confirm if the marking was fair.

If this is not the case and it really is only one teacher marking the paper (which is unlikely), go to the principle or vice-principle. Bias marking is a serious matter.

SunnyScience

HSC
Yes, of course there is. But you just have to deal with it and do as well as you can to overcome that bias.
3 people in my english class got 15/15 for their speeches. I got 14, but I am 100% sure mine was just as good - if not, better - than theirs. But, oh well

leesh95

HSC
I don't know if this counts or not but I felt our English teacher was slightly biased when marking our creative writing stories.
Also when analyzing texts ;if your analysis isn't very similar to his, he marks you down. I feel he doesn't like kids forming their own opinion about texts and characters etc.

enoilgam

HSC
Bias!
Hi! just wondering, for speeches, is it possible that your teacher is bias against you? I mean all teachers can be bias, but can they be like 'going to take marks off because I don't like that person'?
It's possible that some teachers will be bias against you - it all likelihood, it would probably be a latent bias but some teachers may consciously do it. Whilst it is unfair and unprofessional, teachers are human and bias can come through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)