Bible verses often ignored by Christians (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I do believe I read a verse in the OT once that condoned fathers sleeping with their daughters. Not sure where it is, but it's there.

How's THAT for a 'bible verse often ignored by christians'.

X

xeuyrawp

Salima said:
Both apply to christians, hence the bible having both!
No they don't.

Think about it; Jesus really did create a new religion about him. He got lots of Jews, Pagans, and otherwise to join his new religion. These people came for Jesus, not for Judaism.

Christianity is not an offspring of Judaism. Jesus' historical memory just filled in the gap for many Jews.

gerhard

HSC
god seems pretty lazy. he should just clear all this shit up for people. i mean, he loves them doesnt he?

yy

HSC
N/A
1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy are still in the NT.
or do you just have to believe in Jesus and don't actually have to follow the bible at all?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
yy said:
1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy are still in the NT.
or do you just have to believe in Jesus and don't actually have to follow the bible at all?
the point is that your not meant to take everything in the Bible literally. in addition like i have already stated our society is very different from what it was 2000 years ago and when the Bible was established. thus our ethics and way of living is very very different. so in this case the main focus is that we should adapt the basis of these verses in our lives, as Jesus is not actually expecting us to take the Bible word by word and do everything that is in it. if we do we are then acting out as fundamentalist which is in the case of SOME Muslims as they have actually taken some of the verses in the Koran literally, which is then demonstrated in their actions.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Exsqueeze me? Do you actually know about society from 2000 years ago? Or do you just assume that since they didnt have the conveniences that we have that they obviously must have been inferior?

Read through the Psalms and the Proverbs and you will no doubt find somethings that are still very relevent... and then you will be like "The people of that time really thought like that?! That's how i feel now!"

Apart from the dark ages and the like where science was seen as bad, i think you'll find these societies flourished technilogically and that the people struggled with very similar issues to us!

"Those people were old so they must have been different to us." I think you'll find you have a lot more in common with the people from ancient Greece and Rome then you think. These are two civilizations that influenced ours greatly.

malkin86

HSC
Wilmo said:
Gosh... When i was in Japan i ate eel :O

The best way i can show the christian stand point on this is to quote a bit from acts where Peter (an apostle who was still devout to the Jewish ways) gets a vision from God.

Acts 10:11-16 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

Jewish people did not associate with non-Jews. They were considered dirty and unclean. Just like all the animals in this vision. This vision was to show Peter God can make anything clean that he wants to.

Another quote from Paul says "Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do it all for the glory of God". Therefore it doesn't matter what you eat as a christian, it matters what you do with what you eat.

BUT if my eating these food causes you to think that I don't love God and respect his commands as much as I do, I will not eat them. I would rather go without then to have you think that I do not respect God's word.
I've seen some Christian vegetarians who reckon that as paradise is said to be, in the bible, where even all the animals eat herbs, and so they feel called to be vegetarian. I've also seen some people use that Paul verse to say that because all things are clean, the people should eat meat, and not treat it as unclean or inedible because of that verse. I think that that could just be an exercise in being holier-than-thou on both sides. :p

<snip>lots of stuff about women</snip>
Sometimes it's good to have a girls' night, too - sometimes the boys just don't have a clue, bless them. (I have a shocker of a story about this - unfortunately it is too personal for this forum - if you PM me, I might tell you.) Maybe they were the wrong fellas to ask, but they were there. All the world loves a volunteer... ;) Sometimes it's easier to take advice on things (like: Should we date non-Christians? Answer: It depends if you're strong in your faith or not, date a Christian if you can) from another female.

Simpson Freak

HSC
Beautifuly said by "Some Chick":

"You clearly have some issues to sort out. In the other thread you were asking for answers, and a lot of muslim brothers and sisters did the best to answer your questions. No-where did we ever dismiss it by saying 'you dont get the context'. Don't make rubbish up like that.
If you have some issues with a religion, go and thoroughly research it, and not just the way it is being practised."

Sasha you are pathetic, ultimately you are the one stirring up trouble, instead of accepting that there are different faiths that (as said in the Quran) SHOULD CO-EXIST. You are just trying top make people on a bloody forum hate each other.

You are either a manipulative mastermind or an ignorant moron, and i would put my monopoly money (gambling=sin) on the latter.

Are you so stupid that you do not think that everything has a context?

Your true colours were shown when you assumed that the thread starter was Muslim because he questioned christianity. So you came out in your Neo-Nazi attire and tried to mislead everyone.

Women have had hard times since the beginning of history, ditto with non-whites and ditto with the poor. Okay there is discrimination out there, and having not read the Quran and probably not much of the OT and NT, you would not know much about anything.

Humans have been humans for thousands of years, and like hundreds of years ago, we still look for loop holes. and that would explain for the corruption of these asses who call themselves muslims. How else would you explain suicide bombers that are part of a religion that claims you will suffer endlessly if you commit suicide. When you have a cleric that tells you that is not the case, that one corruption can cause these people to fall to the dark side of the force...whoops carried away.

A few centuries ago Muslim women were scholars and generals in armies while the West was testing the theory that women were evil spirits or devils in disguise.

America calls itself christian and yet does so many un-christian things, how can you even compare it to anything. And since when is Iran the model muslim country? No where in islam would it be logical for women to be in danger for not wearing a head scarf

Do you not know that everyone on this entire thread knows what a hack you are?
WHile the lunatic sheiks ask people to blow themselves up, your here spreading hate on the other side.

Get a life! Thats particularly bad when i say it to someone... :p

Salima

HSC
gerhard said:
god seems pretty lazy. he should just clear all this shit up for people. i mean, he loves them doesnt he?
But you see it has been. That is what the Qur'an is all about. ANd god does love his people, especially the ones who love themselves. God sent Muhammad, 600years after christ adn when everyhting got stuffed up, which was really 500ad (6th century), "to clear all this shit up", as you say.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Both apply to christians, hence the bible having both!
The new testament is seen to be a set of laws which came after the old testament... where there is a conflict you're supposed to side with the new testament.

By the way, the Koran is a piece of trash... as is the bible. Stop analysing this boring repetitive shit and wasting your time please people.

Salima

HSC
malkin86 said:
I've seen some Christian vegetarians who reckon that as paradise is said to be, in the bible, where even all the animals eat herbs, and so they feel called to be vegetarian.
That could be so, but what is in heaven doesn't necessarily mean it is for earth. Like in the Qur'an, my book, which encompasses torah and bible, says there are rivers of wine, people get confused thinking "but you say alcohol is illegal for you so why do you get it in heaven"...well the arabs invented alcohol, and drank like crazy, and we think the germans and irish are bad! But becuase we can confuse jedgment through alcohol and do wrong things by its influence we can't have it hear. So we can worship god best we can. But in heaven all worshipping deeds are done, and there is no wrong or bad thigns in heaven no sadness no doubt, not even any bodily bowl excreations. So it's okay. But my point is, just ebcause it's in heaven doesn't mean it's for earth. It's for the afterlife, for a better place than here and only there, htis is not heaven so do not do the thigns onyl ascribed for heaven. So eat all meat ! except pork adn ones with fangs like tiger and such...basically other meat eaters like ourselves.

Salima

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The new testament is seen to be a set of laws which came after the old testament... where there is a conflict you're supposed to side with the new testament.

By the way, the Koran is a piece of trash... as is the bible. Stop analysing this boring repetitive shit and wasting your time please people.
If you don't want ot be involved then don't be. But I was answering a sort unmarked question whcihc i have the right to do man. so shush.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I do want to be involved, you tried to claim christians have to follow both the new and old testament.... which shows your complete misunderstanding of the christian faith.

Salima

HSC
I just confirmed with my source and you are correct in part. They accpet new testament over old testament, but both. So if there is a contradiciton, like eye for an eye, but NT says turn the other cheek, then they'll turn their cheeks. Just as the qur'an will say simliar thigns in both but we would accept qur'anic version of events like Josephs dream and the events that followed, chihc is slightly different to the NT. Understadnable, since the NT is supposed to squash any misunderstanding before it. Just as the Qur'an is supposed to do the sam to the bible.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That's exactly what I said

So now you can understand why to criticise christianity you should focus on the new testament, just as people who criticise islam should only focus on the koran.

Salima

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
just as people who criticise islam should only focus on the koran.
Ah not true! There is more than just the Qur'an that's why. Man why can't you just write it the correct way I've told u so many times man! Well you choose what u choose. Islam also has sunnah, hadith, you can't just examine Qur'an. NAD to examine Qur'an you also have to examine sunnah and Hadith to understnad.

But all the water in the world, if it were used as ink, would not be able to write the meaning of the Qur'an. Even the bissmilah hiroman nirohim, in the name of Allah, the benificient, the merciful, would take a day to a week to fully acknowledge its meaning.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea I was going to edit and remove the word only...

But all the water in the world, if it were used as ink, would not be able to write the meaning of the Qur'an. Even the bissmilah hiroman nirohim, in the name of Allah, the benificient, the merciful, would take a day to a week to fully acknowledge its meaning.
Whatever I can say that about anything, that's just empty crap.... why do you actually write something like that?

Salima

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Whatever I can say that about anything, that's just empty crap.... why do you actually write something like that?
What do you mean by this, what is empty and crap ...how can it be...you try to do what i've said is impossible then. humans are limited. simply for the fact that we are human.

malkin86

HSC
Salima said:
That could be so, but what is in heaven doesn't necessarily mean it is for earth. Like in the Qur'an, my book, which encompasses torah and bible, says there are rivers of wine, people get confused thinking "but you say alcohol is illegal for you so why do you get it in heaven"...well the arabs invented alcohol, and drank like crazy, and we think the germans and irish are bad! But becuase we can confuse jedgment through alcohol and do wrong things by its influence we can't have it hear. So we can worship god best we can. But in heaven all worshipping deeds are done, and there is no wrong or bad thigns in heaven no sadness no doubt, not even any bodily bowl excreations. So it's okay. But my point is, just ebcause it's in heaven doesn't mean it's for earth. It's for the afterlife, for a better place than here and only there, htis is not heaven so do not do the thigns onyl ascribed for heaven. So eat all meat ! except pork adn ones with fangs like tiger and such...basically other meat eaters like ourselves.
I just think that it's kinda sucky that whilst parts of the bible seem to advocate vegetarianism (thou shalt not kill being taken a bit more flexibly, for example), some are like "vegetarianism=unChristian". :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What do you mean by this, what is empty and crap ...how can it be...you try to do what i've said is impossible then. humans are limited. simply for the fact that we are human.
Because it is just empty... Say you ask me "what is your view on taxes" and I reply "All the water in the world, if it were used as ink, would not be enough for me to write my true perspective on taxes."

It's just empty crap that doesn't further any sort of argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)