Bible verses often ignored by Christians (1 Viewer)

Simpson Freak

HSC
Not-That-Bright, you would accuse other people of talking about empty crap by doing just the same. You are the type that tries to get out of an argument by saying "its not worth my time" and yet you are still here.

Your opinion itself is purile and illogical if your only justification on the worthlessness of the Koran is by saying "its not worth me reading it".

You have just used somantics and empty rhetoric to describe something you have no idea about. Do you know there are references made in the Koran that scientists have only recently found out through science. There are heaps of examples and you can find them, but i guess its you will just sit back, pretend to be logical and enlightened and say that its not worth your time checking out.

Here are just a few things that i can remember:

1. the koran stated that it was the man that determined the gender of a child, a few hundred years before Henry the 8th was chopping off the heads of his wives for bearing him girls.

2. koran would mention a battle that occured in the dead sea and called it "the lowest point on earth". This was a long time before anyone could have known that the dead sea was the lowest land point on Earth, who something puerile and repetitive know this by chance?

3. the koran would refer to how we can be identified from our finger tips, centuries before we realised all finger prints are different and can be used for identification purposes.

4. the koran perfectly describes the development of a zygote to a foetus, mentioning time periods of its development.

5. while the west believed we were stationary in the solar system, the koran mentioned how everything, including the sun, earth and stars are all moving through orbits. This was ages before we realised we are in a galaxy that rotates and that the universe is expanding and everything is moving away from each other.

6. errrrrr i really can't remember much more, you can see the cool scientific insights within the koran in websites like....i dont know... www.themodernreligion.com

my point is that this book could not have been written by some guy who had never left the desert. If he is soooo lucky why would he risk saying all this stuff, i mean he may have said its the women that decide the gender of children and like birds human females could have been XY and men were the XX.

anyway, i was just trying to prove that Not-That-Bright is living up to his name by using the old "its not worth it" defence. He uses baseless somantics and rhetoric to belittle the worth of the Koran and does not back any of his claims.

If you truly believe the Koran has no merit, then post up a few points or quotes, if not then just leave this thread.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
veterandoggy said:
explain how they are responsible for those deaths.

as ntb mentioned, they are forced to do it.
Because they influence african governments and cause them to be apprehensive about making condoms widely available and/or running proper education programs about safe sex.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Not-That-Bright, you would accuse other people of talking about empty crap by doing just the same. You are the type that tries to get out of an argument by saying "its not worth my time" and yet you are still here.
I think I explained my reasons as to why I believe what he was saying was empty crap, either attack my reason or just shut up. As for me doing the same, you have to provide your own reasons as to why what I have said is just empty crap, much like what I did for him.

Your opinion itself is purile and illogical if your only justification on the worthlessness of the Koran is by saying "its not worth me reading it".
I can go on for pages about how terrible and boring a book the koran is, but i'd rather just leave it as an unspoken truth.

You have just used somantics and empty rhetoric to describe something you have no idea about.
So far most of your post has just been rhetorical bullshit, but I don't know what you're talking about with my posts... a few were written in such a way, but in later/previous posts i did provide justification.

Do you know there are references made in the Koran that scientists have only recently found out through science.
Yea but really the connections you would make are quite pathetic (between the verses and the science).

Last edited:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea the thing is... I really can't be bothered. You know the connections aren't brilliant, they're just wild confabulations.
you cant be bothered because he has a point. a point that cant be proven by you.

sorry to burst your bubble sasha.

and btw, that didnt help your last line too.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
veterandoggy said:
you cant be bothered because he has a point. a point that cant be proven by you.

sorry to burst your bubble sasha.

and btw, that didnt help your last line too.

No, you're an idiot too. There are alot of books that people claim have made 'predictions'.

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
I've read the verse that people use to make others apply OT law (google says it's 2 Timothy 3:16-17, NIV: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.") as being sorta 'this is what we used to believe, don't forget your history'.

People who criticise shellfish-eating Christians might interpret the verse as meaning 'all scripture is god-breathed, therefore follow all of it, even the bits that contradict the other bits'.

gerhard

HSC
4. the koran perfectly describes the development of a zygote to a foetus, mentioning time periods of its development.
see http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-myths-embryology.htm

For those who cant be bothered to read it, it says that the information mentioned in the koran is pretty much the same as was mentioned by Galen, who lived 150AD. The website is christian and anti-muslim, but the article is well sourced.

Simpson Freak said:
Here are just a few things that i can remember:

1. the koran stated that it was the man that determined the gender of a child, a few hundred years before Henry the 8th was chopping off the heads of his wives for bearing him girls.

2. koran would mention a battle that occured in the dead sea and called it "the lowest point on earth". This was a long time before anyone could have known that the dead sea was the lowest land point on Earth, who something puerile and repetitive know this by chance?

3. the koran would refer to how we can be identified from our finger tips, centuries before we realised all finger prints are different and can be used for identification purposes.

5. while the west believed we were stationary in the solar system, the koran mentioned how everything, including the sun, earth and stars are all moving through orbits. This was ages before we realised we are in a galaxy that rotates and that the universe is expanding and everything is moving away from each other.

6. errrrrr i really can't remember much more, you can see the cool scientific insights within the koran in websites like....i dont know... www.themodernreligion.com
long essay which covers some of this stuff. well sourced as well.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/islam.html

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
gerhard said:
see http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-myths-embryology.htm

For those who cant be bothered to read it, it says that the information mentioned in the koran is pretty much the same as was mentioned by Galen, who lived 150AD. The website is christian and anti-muslim, but the article is well sourced.

long essay which covers some of this stuff. well sourced as well.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/islam.html
i was going to mention to you to not bother about the embryo point because someone else had already posted something against it, but i guess i forgot.

and that website only adresses point 5, and a link from that website tries nullifying the claim that the quran claimed the speed of light, but i still didnt find an answer to the other points, so you should have only placed point 5 in your quote, not all of them, unless you only skimmed through it and didnt know, which i doubt.

gerhard

HSC
I read the start, then posted it, then read the rest. But really the point the guy was getting at in the last link is, it is easy to manipulate translations and to draw conclusions from some things which definately arent conclusive. Just like people believe Nostradamus predicted the future, it is easy to read what isnt there.

eg the fingerprinting line

“Does man think that We Cannot assemble his bones? Nay, We are able to put Together in perfect order The very tips of his fingers.” Al- Quran 75:3-4
Its hardly conclusive. Its not like he said "Every human has a unique fingerprint". I dont really know the context but he seems to be talking about re-animating a human. The line 'the very tips of his fingers' is used in a context to impress us as to the extent of the reanimation. 'All the way to the tips of his fingers? Amazing!' There is no mention of uniqueness in the whole paragraph. And having said that, there are numerous methods of detecting uniqueness in humans, including dna and eye scans. I would be suprised if the fingerprinting method lasts longer than another hundred years, given that other methods are meant to be much more accurate. Why didnt he mention these?

Riqtay

Assistant Member
HSC
I just wanted to inquire into the teachings of Christianity. I am only a neutral participant in this thread and wanted to put my views forward, regarding the central teaching in Christianity.

I haven't fully studied the Christian faith so correct me if I'm wrong. I will give me insight into the issue of atonement and ask for your views.

Atonement as I have learned it is one person (Jesus) accepting the sins of the entire human population. I believe this to be very detrimental to the nolbility and purity of society, as it allows people to acknowledge that their sins have been accepted by another party and that they are allowed to indulge in pleasures of any sort which may even be denounced by Christianity. I see many Christians around me pursuing vain pleasures and sinning, yet always seeking forgiveness after their sins.

I believe this form of seeking redemption to be very superficial as the next day these people will again indulge in sin only to repent once again, and the cycle continues day in and day out.

There is no accountability left and people go deeper and deeper into the dark, knowing that they are allowed to sin only if they confess at a later date.

malkin86

HSC
Riqtay said:
Atonement as I have learned it is one person (Jesus) accepting the sins of the entire human population. I believe this to be very detrimental to the nolbility and purity of society, as it allows people to acknowledge that their sins have been accepted by another party and that they are allowed to indulge in pleasures of any sort which may even be denounced by Christianity. I see many Christians around me pursuing vain pleasures and sinning, yet always seeking forgiveness after their sins.

I believe this form of seeking redemption to be very superficial as the next day these people will again indulge in sin only to repent once again, and the cycle continues day in and day out.

There is no accountability left and people go deeper and deeper into the dark, knowing that they are allowed to sin only if they confess at a later date.
In the early days, there was a sect of Christianity that sinned all the time, 'so that God's grace will increase'. I agree with you that it's a stupid idea, to think that you can sin all the time and apologise and you're fine again. I'm pretty sure that Paul said something about this hedonist sect, - that they were being thick. (sorry that I can't cite it) Firstly, the apology must be sincere - I don't think that a sect that knowingly planned sinful activities whilst repenting would count as sincere. Also, I think that Paul (and Jesus for that matter) said that part of showing that you're Christian is to behave like a good person. The idea is that people will say to the good Christian "you're so, like, awesome... how are you so cheerful all the time?" - the good Christian will then proceed to witness.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
gerhard said:
I read the start, then posted it, then read the rest. But really the point the guy was getting at in the last link is, it is easy to manipulate translations and to draw conclusions from some things which definately arent conclusive. Just like people believe Nostradamus predicted the future, it is easy to read what isnt there.

eg the fingerprinting line

Its hardly conclusive. Its not like he said "Every human has a unique fingerprint". I dont really know the context but he seems to be talking about re-animating a human. The line 'the very tips of his fingers' is used in a context to impress us as to the extent of the reanimation. 'All the way to the tips of his fingers? Amazing!' There is no mention of uniqueness in the whole paragraph. And having said that, there are numerous methods of detecting uniqueness in humans, including dna and eye scans. I would be suprised if the fingerprinting method lasts longer than another hundred years, given that other methods are meant to be much more accurate. Why didnt he mention these?
exactly. when i read that line the first thing i thought, was its ment to show how impressive humans are made. not how unique theri finger tips are.

bobin

This just shows how everyone interprets "their own version" of the bible, thus this leads to the question who is right or wrong?
Many christians often get confused and follow the parts which they want to and ignore the rest.
for eg,, if anyone watched that show 30 days where this straight christian guy (who spent time in the army) had to spend 30 days in a gay community, he was taught to believe the bible condems homosexuality yet when asked with the question doesn't the bible also condem violence against fellow man.. he had no response.
Christanity is full of hypocracy which is evident for all to see. Another eg the pope gave his speech how christians should avoid materiality and focus more in the good inherent in people, yet he only wears designer shoes and sunglasses?
face it christanity is more like a corporation wanting more market share and dominance than a religion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)