Big decision, Go up to advanced english or not? (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
:confused: im so confused.
i regret picking standard, and want to do advanced, but i don't no if its to late.
i did well in the prelim for standard, but i no how hard it is to get a band 5 or 6

any ideas, notes or advice would be great!!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Talk to the deputy/teacher who's involved with the senior year or the subjects selection. Also talk to your teacher, and if possible, the head teacher of English.

If you think you can do Advanced, do it (It's only 1 extra text I think).

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Kujah said:
Talk to the deputy/teacher who's involved with the senior year or the subjects selection. Also talk to your teacher, and if possible, the head teacher of English.

If you think you can do Advanced, do it (It's only 1 extra text I think).
yeah thats what im thinking, although im behind like 5 weeks atm.
advanced is studying brave new world atm, so i can read a book in a day or two, and then its just a matter of analysing it.

my teacher doesnt have a lot of confidence in me, he assumes because i picked standerd im not able to do advanced, but its not up to him is it?

cs01001

HSC
Prove to him your worthy of Advance with marks, but really, do they allow you to take HSC Adv. course without Prelim? Talk to teacher anyway.

princesscal

Banned
HSC
cs01001 said:
Prove to him your worthy of Advance with marks, but really, do they allow you to take HSC Adv. course without Prelim? Talk to teacher anyway.
Yeah, I thought you couldn't move up. That's fucked if you can, and if I knew that I would have bludged year 11 with the shit easy standard texts.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
princesscal said:
Yeah, I thought you couldn't move up. That's fucked if you can, and if I knew that I would have bludged year 11 with the shit easy standard texts.
yeah i agree with that a bit, in the sense that people could bludge the prelim with standard. although im doing it cause standard is shit, and i made a terrible choice in y10.

cs01001

HSC
What are your marks like anyway? I know a kid who did well in Standard, tried to move up to Advance in Term 2 but was rejected. Maybe sign out of the school then re-enrol to do same subjects but upgrade to Advance? That would be silly, but it might work

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
cs01001 said:
What are your marks like anyway? I know a kid who did well in Standard, tried to move up to Advance in Term 2 but was rejected. Maybe sign out of the school then re-enrol to do same subjects but upgrade to Advance? That would be silly, but it might work

yeah, that may work, my marks ranged from as low as 70 to to about 95, my school is public and non selective, so all subject choices are my own?

yeah, they can't say im to late, because people who do pathways don't start their 2nd hsc year until now anyway, thats right isnt it?

cs01001

HSC
Pathway is a different thing, I don't think it applies in your case. Assuming all English classes runs at teh same, and all lines are kept intact, you will not loose any of your other subjects. The signing out option may work, since newly enrolled students are not required to take Prelim to do HSC. But you run the risk of being rejected to take Advance when you re-enroll, but at the end of the day, even if you get rejected, you have not lost anything anyway.

A bit of a silly option, but if you think you are capable of doing Advance, then give it a shot, you never know.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Without Wings said:
Talk to your school ASAP!! best option - then you know where you stand. Explain your case, why you want to do advanced, discuss how you feel you went well in standard etc and see what they say. Re-enrolling is a bit of a silly option and won't really improve your chances, its just going to cause a lot of fuss for nothing.

Some schools do/have allowed standard students to move to advanced in the past, not all schools though.
thanks, im thinking that, and if they don't let me, ill just make do with standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)