BIG NAMES in 05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ob

'word'---aural and pal's supposed 'arrogance' is in fact humility: telling the truth

KFunk said:
Word. ..........
what the hell do you mean 'word'...humility

ob

Just ask Brian---alice springs connected school to rule the roost!

aural_sax05 said:
oooh Slide Rule bit of a reputation to live up to......

Good luck dude - sure ull do horribly well

i reckon aural sax is in for top 3 at least---he's got the credentials to do it. palsy is also a great chance---sorry not chance---certainty...i reckon grammar, ruse, selective schools will go yat this year. word on the street says that a school with an alice-springs connection willl have 5 in top ten. we'll have to wait until the certainty becomes reality.

as they say, just ask brian!

lfc_reds2003

oi jpeob

hush down there fella

all this talk of state rankings... makes me scared of the talent out there

Last edited by a moderator:

turtle_2468

HSC
Did I say, like before... after a certain amount of talent which allows you to get all the questions, it comes down to being CAREFUL...
and as with all things with being careful, it's luck....
so please stop saying "I'm so good, I'll definitely make top 10"...
because I'm pretty sure that even though I knew I could get most of the questions out in 4U when I was in year 12 I also knew that other people would get all the questions, and one small slip could cost me... and small slips are things you don't make by 1) hard work 2) being careful and 3) luck.

So yes. I wasn't sure I'd even make top 10... so talk about your "l33tness" at your peril... :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
nit said:
haha, a "bit" of Olympiad stuff indeed...I second what Shafqat said.
Agree...nice use of a bit.

Only next year will we possibly have another person who has competed in 3 IMO.

Trev: 6 people in the IMO team.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
turtle_2468 said:
There was one before me as well..
I can think of quite a few before 2002.

Best use of 'a bit' would be if Peter McNamara said "I did a bit of Olympiad stuff".

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
out of slide rule, kfunk, who_loves_maths and finalfantasy who do u thinks most likely to top 4u this yr?

id say its a close call between slide rule and who_loves_maths

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
maths > english said:
out of slide rule, kfunk, who_loves_maths and finalfantasy who do u thinks most likely to top 4u this yr?

How did I know you would post this?:p
One thing you have to remember is not all of the state's students post on BoS, so there are probably a few "dark horses" running around that you don't know about yet. If, however I were to say top ranking BoSer...then I'd cast my vote on Slide Rule, though this is a rather difficult thing to vote on as its rather hard to tell how fast everyone will go on paper as opposed to on the forum. But they'll all likely do well, which is the important thing.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
maths > english said:

Haha, I appreciate it, but my name really shouldn't be on that list of consideration :p. I really do enjoy the stuff but I don't think I have much innate talent for the subject.

I'd put my vote with who_loves_maths largely because he attacks a question from every possible angle, very succesfully might I add. Slide isn't too far behind though...

FinalFantasy

HSC
maths > english said:

lol mate i won't even be on the band E4 list LOL

Edit: I reckon it's close between captain Slide and who_loves_maths
but i do know a few others hiding and just not posting anything such as Estel

Last edited:

casebash

HSC
Graham White was definitely correct in saying that I am not in the running for the top place in 4U or even top 10. I currently maintain a rank about average for Ruse in 4U maths. I am putting all my effort into informatics, not HSC, because I can only do well in tests where the average is less than 50%. I make way to many careless errors to do well in the HSC, and I find the questions boring (I've been spoilt by the interesting Olympiad questions).

Ok, my bets, which I'll only use on 'knowns'

Obviously I'll vote for Graham White, he is the only one on the IMO team, and he is also careful.

Brian and Libling are good bets. Libling is quite strong in Olympiad, making top ten in AMO and APMO and I'll bet for him after Graham. Brian only ranked a few below me in both those comps, so he is quite good.

Yu Heng Lau and Thuc Tran are some good bets for Ruse, they count as 'knowns', especially Yu Heng who used to perform quite well in olympiad before he started concentrating on chem.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
casebash said:
I am putting all my effort into informatics, not HSC
I hope so.

casebash said:
because I can only do well in tests where the average is less than 50%. I make way to many careless errors to do well in the HSC, and I find the questions boring (I've been spoilt by the interesting Olympiad questions).
The ability to do simple exercises without silly errors is partly a skill. If you've been spoilt by olympiad I wonder what would people like Laurie and Ivan be.

Last edited:

lfc_reds2003

dont leave pals out of this league mates.... he is one talented mathematician (with the ego to fit ) i can assure you

note: just5chillin is also a good chance... his predicted UAI ofg 99.95 is spot on and even a lil conservative!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)