• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Big rise in full-fee students in 2007 and effects (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, i think that there's a 25% cap on full fee (i may be wrong) and that ALL CSP places have to be filled/no more applicants before they can accept full fee-payers

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I don't think it's really possible. The article did hint that some people were making ill informed decisions regarding fee paying vs commonwealth supported places, possibly due to poor understanding of how cutoffs work. For example they might only put a DFEE place for a given course on their preferences because its previous year's cutoff was lower than their UAI while the CSP place was higher. In reality there's no reason to do that, but it's one way that the number of DFEE applications might rise.
and I'd be one of the people that did that, so its not a good thing to have put a DFEE place down because it's UAI was lower?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ZabZu said:
I think Labor is against DFEE places because they believe people should get into uni due to their academic acheivements not the size of their parent's bank account. Also, the people with the most to gain from full-fee places (rich people) are Liberal voters, making the relatively disadvantaged Labor voters worse off since there would be fewer HECS places.

The Federal Govt should put more money into tertiary education because so many of the unis are broke. Even with the dismal amounts they give out, they force the unis to undertake industrial relations changes to receive the funds.
Labor is against DFEE because they are morons. Removing DFEE students would decrease the number of CSP places, meaning everybody loses.

But hey, at least we'd have equality :rolleyes:

klaw

HSC
one_wit said:
yeah, i think that there's a 25% cap on full fee (i may be wrong) and that ALL CSP places have to be filled/no more applicants before they can accept full fee-payers
Hmmm but if that is the case then why did the article suggest that more people willing to pay DFEE = more people being accepted into DFEE?

klaw

HSC
withoutaface said:
Labor is against DFEE because they are morons. Removing DFEE students would decrease the number of CSP places, meaning everybody loses.

But hey, at least we'd have equality :rolleyes:
Can you explain why less DFEE students mean less CSP places? Or do you mean that less DFEE students meant more demand for CSP places so it's harder to get into those CSP places but the number of CSP places remain unchanged?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
klaw said:
Can you explain why less DFEE students mean less CSP places? Or do you mean that less DFEE students meant more demand for CSP places so it's harder to get into those CSP places but the number of CSP places remain unchanged?
I mean that the universities only just break even on CSP places, and that noone runs anything to just break even. Thus by making a small profit off DFEE places we allow the universities to be viable operations and continue to run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)