Biggest cohort ever : Uni places/Uai cut offs higher for 2009? (1 Viewer)

taylor427

HSC
Because our year has the biggest cohort to ever go through this hell,
wont that mean that Uai cut offs will naturally increase as more students compete for relatively the same as last years uni places...?

simple economics: supply and demand.
greater demand for places, and possibly not a relative increase in positions.

true?

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
I heard that they were axing the DFEE places, so there might be more places for courses. Also it really depends on the course

Nivi7

HSC
lol. I was telling my friend abt how we're apparently the largest cohort to sit the HSC and she was lyk, "That's what they said last year. And the year before. And the year before that!"
but even though they're axing DFEE places, I really doubt that the cut offs will decrease that much, if not at all. I mean, can u imagine the cut off for law at Usyd coming down to abt 99.45 or even 99.5? I don't think so!

ASNSWR127

HSC
well they are increasing places in some courses so that will bring the UAI requirement down...

(*rejoice with hands wringing, flowers and champagne*) NURSING IS ONE OF THOSE COURSES!

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
well they are increasing places in some courses so that will bring the UAI requirement down...

(*rejoice with hands wringing, flowers and champagne*) NURSING IS ONE OF THOSE COURSES!
What the UAI requirement for nursing at the moment?

ASNSWR127

HSC
AkaiHanabi said:
What the UAI requirement for nursing at the moment?
Well the lowest you will find is 61.00 (I believe)

The uni I want to go to is 70.00 (CSU) but I get 5 point regional/rural bonus (more yay's!)

But I went early entry at CSU and am fairly confident I will get in (have to wait until after HSC exams, why??) with my TVET Nursing course at school and my experience in the pre-hospital field :)

Are you interested in Nursing yourself?

harryboyles

HSC
Compared to last year, there are only an extra 782 students sitting the HSC this year. Considering that not everyone is planning on going to university and the number of courses available, this increase won't make a huge difference on the UAI cutoffs. Cutoffs will be affected much more by changes in the desirability of individual courses.

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
Well the lowest you will find is 61.00 (I believe)

The uni I want to go to is 70.00 (CSU) but I get 5 point regional/rural bonus (more yay's!)

But I went early entry at CSU and am fairly confident I will get in (have to wait until after HSC exams, why??) with my TVET Nursing course at school and my experience in the pre-hospital field :)

Are you interested in Nursing yourself?
Yeah, I'll probably do nursing if I can't get into Med/Law/Psych/Adv Science/Science/Arts. Yeah... I really have no idea what I want to do yet ><

taylor427

HSC
harryboyles said:
Compared to last year, there are only an extra 782 students sitting the HSC this year. Considering that not everyone is planning on going to university and the number of courses available, this increase won't make a huge difference on the UAI cutoffs. Cutoffs will be affected much more by changes in the desirability of individual courses.
Thankyou, that was probably the only answer of relivance : )

...i dont know why i just thought it had increased by a few thousand people.
now that thought seems stupid.

HSC
This years cohort stands at 67 931, a 2926 student increase from 2007. However the proportion of students recieving a TER/UAI is likely to drop, following on from trends seen from 2000 (82.8%) to 2007 (78.5%) as students start to see that there are other options than universities.

With the phasing out of DFEE places, it could either increase the cut-off, decrease it or it won't affect the cut-offs at all. Virtually all universities are in the dark about what will happen, i have contacted several unis already, and they don't appear to know what will happen.

Other factors that might play a role in affecting cut-offs is the current financial crisis, it may affect cut-offs for Commerce/Business/Finance courses as did the Dot-com bubble crash on IT courses (USyd's Software Engineering course dropping by in excess of 7-10 points. The crisis will also affect the universities themesleves, less money = less places. Several universites are already having to pull back on research grants and other services.

But how much these will all have an affect on UAI cut-offs, remains to be seen.

dumarab

HSC
depends it can be an advantage and disadvantage.

If theres more deadshit people UAI go up. If theres more Einsteins UAI will go down.

HSC
harryboyles said:
I don't know where you got that figure from Kevin. I compared the number of students listed in the 2007 Media Guide and the 2008 Media Guide. As I said before, this equates to 782 extra students.
Hmm, that's a bit of a pickle. My figure was from the Report on the Scaling of the 2007 NSW High School Certificate (pg. 13) and it says the HSC cohort of 2007 was 65,005. :confused:

I also checked the previous years on the Media Guide, and it is always around 2000 more that what is reported on the UAC report. Hmm

EDIT: I think we should use your figure, as you are comparing two numbers from the same source.

Last edited:

cleob

HSC
sum1 speak up if my logic is flawed

but i assume since the DFEE places used to allow u entry into ur choosen uni course if ur UAI was up to 5 points below the CSP cut off...so wouldnt axing the DFEE places mean u could expect the UAI cut offs to drop by 5 in some cases?

also just a thought, the differences u guys have in figures for 2008 HSC entrants could be because one of u is looking at total students and the other is looking at students recieving a UAI?

HSC
cleob said:
sum1 speak up if my logic is flawed

but i assume since the DFEE places used to allow u entry into ur choosen uni course if ur UAI was up to 5 points below the CSP cut off...so wouldnt axing the DFEE places mean u could expect the UAI cut offs to drop by 5 in some cases?
There are a limited number of places in a Uni course, some of it is CSP, the other DFEE. The DFEE cut-offs are lower as few people want to pay the full fees, hence less people in the DFEE course, and thus a lower UAI cut-off. But some courses have the same cut-offs for DFEE and CSP - i can't explain why this is the case.

cleob said:
also just a thought, the differences u guys have in figures for 2008 HSC entrants could be because one of u is looking at total students and the other is looking at students recieving a UAI?
The HSC cohort and the number of people recieving a UAI were in the same table.

This really confuses me.. :(

runnable

HSC
kevinx2 said:
Hmm, that's a bit of a pickle. My figure was from the Report on the Scaling of the 2007 NSW High School Certificate (pg. 13) and it says the HSC cohort of 2007 was 65,005. :confused:

I also checked the previous years on the Media Guide, and it is always around 2000 more that what is reported on the UAC report. Hmm

EDIT: I think we should use your figure, as you are comparing two numbers from the same source.
Maybe not all HSC students opted to receive the UAI each year.

HSC
runnable said:
Maybe not all HSC students opted to receive the UAI each year.
HSC Candidature: 65,005
Students recieving a TER/UAI: 51,036 - 78.5%

Silly UAC/Board

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)