BIggest difference between assessments and exam marks? (1 Viewer)

HSC
maths ext 2
asses - 58/100
exam 72/100
overall 66

pretty shit by states standards but at least i improved...i never studied until october so yeah

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
my school sent in an assessment mark of 70 for my friend in music...but she got 87 in the exam...so they moderated her assessment mark up to 85. she was stoked.

billy_slater

HSC
History Extension -
assessment mark - 34/50
Exam Mark - 43/50

so difference of 9... not really that big i guess compared to some others i see on this thread

karoooh

HSC
I thought the assessment mark is based upon which ever rank you are at school.

If you're ranked 2nd in your school, then whoever had the 2nd highest exam mark in the HSC, would become your assessment mark, while your exam mark would remain yours. That person, with the 2nd highest exam mark, would keep it as their exam mark.

Why would the teachers need to send in our assessment marks to be moderated, if, their not important later on in our HSC mark calculation? Weren't our ranks the only thing that was important?

BlackDragon

HSC
i'll only read part of your post, but i'll answer anyway.
the teacher sends the ranks and the differences in marks between all the students and according to how well the students do in the exam those differences get scaled and as you said, each person gets half of his/her score from what she/he got in the exam and what his/her rank got in the exam.

our marks ARE important not because of what they are, but because of the differences between us. and that helps in altering our exam mark to suit people's ranks and give accuracy in the aggregate we get for that subject.

HSC
Physics: assess-81 exam-73 hsc-77

karoooh said:
I thought the assessment mark is based upon which ever rank you are at school.

If you're ranked 2nd in your school, then whoever had the 2nd highest exam mark in the HSC, would become your assessment mark, while your exam mark would remain yours. That person, with the 2nd highest exam mark, would keep it as their exam mark.

Why would the teachers need to send in our assessment marks to be moderated, if, their not important later on in our HSC mark calculation? Weren't our ranks the only thing that was important?
BlackDragon said:
i'll only read part of your post, but i'll answer anyway.
the teacher sends the ranks and the differences in marks between all the students and according to how well the students do in the exam those differences get scaled and as you said, each person gets half of his/her score from what she/he got in the exam and what his/her rank got in the exam.

our marks ARE important not because of what they are, but because of the differences between us. and that helps in altering our exam mark to suit people's ranks and give accuracy in the aggregate we get for that subject.
This thing has some relevance in relation to the above posts...I came last in my Japanese class with 60 and thats what got sent to the BOS, i asked the teacher. It was my raw mark (unmoderated). In the exam I got 70 (probably because I tried harder for it this time around and probably because of scaling put on top of it) and that ended up being my exam, assessment mark and finally, hsc mark. I still got the lowest score in my class, but that's quite a jump.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Economics
Exam-94
Assessment-89

I knew the assessment mark would be alot lower. I only ranked 6th.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
For English advanced:
Exam: 92
Assessment: 84

gamecw

HSC
physics external 88, internal 80
economics external 81, internal 70

i ranked 2nd for both subjects!! dam those ppl who came 1st for assessment, cant they do good in real exam!

sem77

HSC
Yeah i had pretty big differences in both pe and food tech. Food my assessment mark was 79 yet in my exam i scored 90. Also PE my assess mark was 80 yet my exam i scored 88. Its disappointing but i always knew i performed better in exams!! Which hopefully will work in my favour one day. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)