Binomial theorem greatest term/coefficent 'formula'? (1 Viewer)

elbatiolpxeho

HSC

In Cambridge's worked example they expand the binomial into those factorial thingys which takes a while to simplify, after doing plenty of these questions I've noticed that,

Can I just pull this out? Is it a recognised formula or something? I haven't seen a single mention of it in Cambridge :S

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Can I just pull this out? Is it a recognised formula or something? I haven't seen a single mention of it in Cambridge :S
Even when correct, it is not a generally-accepted formula. So it's rather risky. Don't do what Galois did.

bleakarcher

HSC
I think they defined them differently to the way I do.

bleakarcher

HSC
Since, when you think about it, the first term T(1) would contain nC0.

D94

HSC
N/A
Can someone help me out? I have recently started learning binomial theorem and I came across this video:

http://www.slideshare.net/nsimmons/12x1-t08-04-greatest-coefficients-terms

and at about 5 minutes and 30 seconds when he is solving an inequality he multiplies both sides by k not k^2. Watch the video and you will understand what am I saying really. Anyone care to help?
Because k is always positive (it's a term) so it doesn't matter if you multiply by k or k^2. It doesn't change the inequalities sign.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Can someone help me out? I have recently started learning binomial theorem and I came across this video:

http://www.slideshare.net/nsimmons/12x1-t08-04-greatest-coefficients-terms

and at about 5 minutes and 30 seconds when he is solving an inequality he multiplies both sides by k not k^2. Watch the video and you will understand what am I saying really. Anyone care to help?
k can't be negative, so it's not necessary to square it? That's the only reason I can think of, because when you rearrange it you get:

(63-3k)/2k > 1

(63/2k)-(3/2) > 1

63/2k > 5/2

63/k > 5

So k must be positive.

HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't T(k+1)=nCk*p^k*q^(n-k)?
no, you can define it however you want

i've found that is much more intuitive

it just means i start counting at 0, i.e. T(0) is the first term

but it really doesn't fucking matter okay

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)