Binomial Theorem proof tips anyone? (1 Viewer)

talisman

HSC
Normally when I do topic "summaries" (i don't really), I write a list of ways I see certain questions or things you pick up on that aren't necessarily taught but you know just work.

Right now, binomial proofs are doing my head in a little bit. I know I'll get it eventually (hoping) but tips would be appreciated people :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You mean when you differentiate or integrate, shift and let some variable equal a number?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think OP is talking about Binomial Identities and their proofs.

If that is the case, then the best tip I can give you is "Use the terms of the question as a clue". If it has something like:

Then the 'clue' would be to equate coefficients containing the binomial term 3 etc etc.

SunnyScience

HSC
I too struggled with these a couple of weeks ago. Go find the the "Success One" book (library if you don't have it) and attempt to answer all the bionomial questions (most are proof ones) or just look at the solutions in the back and you'll get the hang of it!

Goodluck.

P.s. I still kind of suck at them but i certainly improved by doing this.

Skeptyks

HSC
I wasn't joking, there are a lot of different styled questions for Binomial theorem.
EDIT: I just got it, your talking about equating coefficients or LHS = RHS style questions. In that case, CarrotSticks tips is good and also, for the LHS = RHS ones, usually its just a differentiate, let x = a...

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
DSC_0057.jpg

This may help if u can read it, sorry for the poor picture quality

talisman

HSC
I wasn't joking, there are a lot of different styled questions for Binomial theorem.
EDIT: I just got it, your talking about equating coefficients or LHS = RHS style questions. In that case, CarrotSticks tips is good and also, for the LHS = RHS ones, usually its just a differentiate, let x = a...
sorry for that jibe. i think i am doing teh "LHS = RHS" methods but not literally stating LHS, RHS

talisman

HSC
I think OP is talking about Binomial Identities and their proofs.

If that is the case, then the best tip I can give you is "Use the terms of the question as a clue". If it has something like:

Then the 'clue' would be to equate coefficients containing the binomial term 3 etc etc.
yea with doing all the past hsc questions now, you definitely start to see the clues, some are more ambiguous than others

jet

Banned
HSC
is usually a hint to integrate, just like is usually a hint to differentiate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)