Binomials question (1 Viewer)

fancyyyyyy <3

HSC
Hi everyone! I came across this binomials question and am a bit stuck.
Express x^8+x^-8 in the form Au^8+Bu^6+Cu^4+Du^2+E, where u=x+x^-1 and A, B, C, D and E are numerical coefficients.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
To derive the result directly, we need to examine starting with then then :

Moving on to the case using the binomial theorem:

Aside: the case could also be found by squaring the case:

As expected, the result for the case is the same for both methods,

Now, the (required) case can be found by squaring the case (as is done below)... but it could also be obtained by applying the binomial theorem to . To use this approach, we would need to first establish that . This could be done by:
  • using the binomial theorem on to get that and then squaring to get
  • using the binomial theorem on to get that
  • expand to get that
Anyway, taking the squaring approach:

So, I get , , , , and .

Edit: Tidying up / expanding working and removing comments now that "equation empty" comments are not appearing. :)

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC

So, I get , , , , and .

Edit: And I have no idea why these are showing as "blank equation", but FYI, A, B, C, D, and E are 1, -8, 20, -16, and 2, respectively.
Nah, you did it wrong. You messed up from C onwards. Not bothered to find it in your massive algebra. Basically, by binomial expansion, x^4 terms are 28x^4, -8*6x^4 thus for C, if we were to make x^4 values total to 0, C has to be +5, rather than 20 since it's 5*4x^2. Probably just a simple error where you didn't see the 4.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Another approach to this question is to treat the result as an identity, that is, seeking real values A, B, C, D, and E such that:

So long as the identity is true, we can seek the values of the coefficients. The problem with such an approach is that you need to know the identity in advance - that is, that an expression of the form for must be able to be re-written as a polynomial of degree in where and where the coefficients of all the terms where are zero if is odd.

Put another way, if I start with , I can put to get and put to get to conclude that and , but that doesn't make the result "true" because the identity that I started with is never true.

In any case, the identity we have here is true, and so the approach will work.

Approach 1: Expand the RHS using the binomial theorem and equate coefficients. That is:

Equating coefficients, we get:

which matches the answers found above.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Nah, you did it wrong. You messed up from C onwards. Not bothered to find it in your massive algebra. Basically, by binomial expansion, x^4 terms are 28x^4, -8*6x^4 thus for C, if we were to make x^4 values total to 0, C has to be +5, rather than 20 since it's 5*4x^2. Probably just a simple error where you didn't see the 4.
I don't think I've made a mistake. I agree with you that:
  • expanding produces as a term
  • expanding produces as a term.
So, the term in from is .

We then equate coefficients in from the polynomial in and the expression to get:

idkkdi

HSC
I don't think I've made a mistake. I agree with you that:
  • expanding produces as a term.
So, the term in from is .

We then equate coefficients in from the polynomial in and the expression to get:

Oh, my bad, I was looking at the coefficient of the x^2 value in the polynomial with highest degree 4, which was 5.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Approach 2: Dealing with the identity without getting bogged down in all the binomials - good approach or not?:

Firstly, it is obvious that the only term in the polynomial that can produce a term in is :

and the required term will be as , so equating coefficients will give us that .

Second, we can get simultaneous equations by selective choice of values of . Taking gives :

For Extension 2 students, gives:

This allows (1) to be simplified:

Now, consider :

Recognising that further further substitutions will be equally messy, I would turn to the coefficient of as it is obviously zero on the LHS of the identity and arises only fro the terms in and on RHS:

The term in on the RHS is clearly , giving us that after equating coefficients. We can then use (2) to get that and then use (1A) to get that .

Thus, we have the results , , , , and , as expected.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Anyone looking for a challenge might consider proving that, for any positive integer , can be re-written as an even degree polynomial in . Can you establish that the coefficients must be integers?

idkkdi

HSC
Anyone looking for a challenge might consider proving that, for any positive integer , can be re-written as an even degree polynomial in . Can you establish that the coefficients must be integers?
Similar method as above for placing that equation into a u form. Afterwards, we establish that the coefficient of the term with the highest degree of any one expansion of a u to the exponent term, is always 1. As such we can times the leading term by a certain number to render all terms of that degree as 0.

Now we have proved that A,B,C,D,E,F etc. must be integer.

For the other part of the question, it is given that the equation consists of two terms. x^2n and x^-2n. An even function + another even function will always yield another even degree function. (Any method of proving this?)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
For the other part of the question, it is given that the equation consists of two terms. x^2n and x^-2n. An even function + another even function will always yield another even degree function. (Any method of proving this?)
Easily.

Let and be even functions and let . We seek to show that is even.

Since we know that is even, we know that . . . Eqn (1)

And since is also even, we know that . . . Eqn (2)

Now, as it follows that:

This shows that , and so must be an even function. It is also sufficient to prove that must be even, and a similar approach would allow you to establish that and are both even.

---

The result I was thinking of, however, is that a polynomial of degree that can only ever have terms in , , if is even. This is relevant to the question that I asked as it proves that there are no terms in or or , etc, which might intuitively obvious but still needs to be rigorously established. You might also consider how Trebla's excellent solution can be extended to cases where is not a power of two, like for finding or , for instance.

Pedro123

HSC
A sneakier approach without as much algebra bashing:

Let

We can show that

Hence
This is actually so insanely big-brained it isn't funny. I mean for God's sakes he generalised the damn thing and still had less working than a conventional solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)