bio or eco (1 Viewer)

Fly Kite

HSC
ive selected 3 eng 3 math eco chem phys
im not sure whether to swap eco for bio. i dont like or dislike either of them and i dont have any plans for uni atm..

if i swapped to bio, that means im doing 3 sciences and thats bad for you?(rite?) and all your tests would be clumped together. i also heard that bio is really boring and you need to memorize heaps and heaps of stuff.

otherwise if i stuck with eco, i heard you have to read heaps of stuff about the australian budjet and stuff like that...
ty in advance

o_o"
HSC
If you have no plans for uni yet,
why dont you just stick with eco..
to keep your options open (Y)

You can usually change in the first 2 weeks if you dont like it.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well doing 3 sciences isn't hard depending on your capabilities. Lots of my friends are doing just that and they're doing fine :)

But check out some notes or textbooks for both and see which one you'd rather do. After all you're the one who's going to do the subject :p

If you still can't choose, wouldn't mind both and believe that you'd do just as well in both then check out the A3 table and do the one which scales higher

Air Jordan

HSC
like everyone said, eco should have better scaling and will give you wider options for uni. Doing 3 sciences may get boring, although some people say that some of the sciences overlap and therefore tends to help each other

Last edited:

Bisu

HSC
tyheres a comprehensive subject guide on one of the stickies called guide to selectingyour subject orsomething like that bro

Schoey93

HSC
Economics!

Heaps of people do your subject combination. Biology is not boring, I would consider it the most interesting science, followed by Earth and Environmental Science, as these two sciences are life sciences. That is, they involve the study of things man did not create.

Last edited:
HSC
Economics, because a few courses have bonus points for Eco, whereas i haven't seen any offerred for Bio.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
As others have said, keep your options open and do Economics.

It was once said to me (way back) that if you want or need bio for Uni then you can easily do a bridging course because the info in bio tends to be fairly static.

And, doing Economics you also practice and hone the skill of essay writing.

soporific

HSC
ok i had a similar problem a little while ago. except i was tossing up between choosing bio or modern. in the end i had to pick bio because classes for modern are full. ( me = indecisive = stupid )

my best advice would be to try eco for maybe a couple of weeks and then change to bio if you really wish to do so. (i'm doing both :p)

also keep in mind, like other BOS members have stated, you really should be looking to keep your options open. doing 3 sciences gives me the indication you want to pursue a science career (med ?:D) but your preferences may change later on. so try eco. drop it or change if you hate it.

doing 3 sciences might not be the best option because as i have learned (from a lot of consulting mind you) that bio is a lot of memorising, chem is conceptual understanding, physics equates to application of formulae and pracs. please correct me if i am wrong :)

if you did commerce in yr 9/10, you should be asking yourself wehether you enjoyed certain aspects of it... if you didn't choose it (which isn't really necessary because commerce isn't a prerequisite or anything) give it a go!

i know heaps of people with the same subject combo as you :p (i.e. chem, physics, eco) so anways, good luck !

lou071

HSC
N/A
ive selected 3 eng 3 math eco chem phys
im not sure whether to swap eco for bio. i dont like or dislike either of them and i dont have any plans for uni atm..

if i swapped to bio, that means im doing 3 sciences and thats bad for you?(rite?) and all your tests would be clumped together. i also heard that bio is really boring and you need to memorize heaps and heaps of stuff.

otherwise if i stuck with eco, i heard you have to read heaps of stuff about the australian budjet and stuff like that...
ty in advance
eco would be better. since you do 2 sciences already, it can be good to do
a subject which is non science related:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)