bio polymers (1 Viewer)

wahashtini

ppl i need help in a new assessment, i got on friday, if u have any links, answers, plz reply

Some scientists research the extraction of materials from biomass to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels your task is to use available evidence to gather and present data from secondary sources and analyse progress in the recent development and use of a named biopolymer.

You will need to in this analysis:
:( name the specific enzyme(s) used or organism used to synthesise the material

:( evaluate the use or potential use of the polymer produced related to its properties

:( outline the advantages/ disadvantages of your named bio-polymer

:( explain what is meant by a condensation polymer and describe any chemical reaction involved in its production

:( identify a practicing Australian scientist working in the area

:confused: THANKU :confused:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
phb!!! all da way!!!

poly (b-hydroxybutanoate) lolz. dat's like best eva!!! well u can to poly ethylene theraphthalate (widely used...)

edit: i dun get the australian scientist part...

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
While there are lots of biopolymers to choose from, I'd definitely do PHB, poly(beta-hydroxybutanoate), as xiao1985 suggested. There is some information on it in Smith's Conquering Chemistry, and also in the Irwin, Farelly and Garnett text (IIRC) - shouldn't be hard to find more on the 'net.

Don't do polyethylene terephthalate, PET, as it isn't a biopolymer, it's a synthetic polymer.

As for the practicing scientist, there may be some info on the website of the Key Centre for Polymer Colloids, and probably on other aspects of this project. Its address is www.kcpc.usyd.edu.au

wahashtini

THANXX ALOT U GUYS R GREAT
have u guys like done this b4, if u have u can always e-mail
thanxxx

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Don't do polyethylene terephthalate, PET, as it isn't a biopolymer, it's a synthetic polymer.
ops... i fink my chem tutor mislead me... =(
hopefully, i remmebered phb instead... sigh~~~ the good old hsc, where u remember every lil minute dot pt... then all it takes is a lil mistake to ruin it =(

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
straight from my notes :

A biopolymer is a polymeric substance that is made by a living organism a substance that is composed of molecules joined in long chains (polymers) and is produced in living organisms. Proteins and DNA are examples of biopolymers.

PHB PolyHydroxyButyrate, formerly known as polyhydroxybutanoate. ( hydroxybutanoate )

A culture of Alcaligenes eutrophus is placed into a suitable medium and fed appropriate nutrients for it to multiply and rapidly grow into large quantities. The diet is then changed and restricted to a certain nutrient, like nitrogen. This stops the growth of the population of the micro-organisms and makes it start to produce PHB, which it stores in its cell for use later as energy. A separation process is then done to remove the PHB from the microorganism.

PHB has similar properties, physical and mechanical, to polypropylene: it is transparent, brittle, water-proof and lightweight, and would be suitable for bottles and other containers
It is biodegradable, in other words, it can be decomposed and broken down in natural systems like blood and soil without the release of toxins. Hence, it is good for such things like nappies and plastic food wrapping.
PHB monomer is a natural constituent of blood hence it can be used as internal stitching. Since the bacteria in our own stomachs make PHB to store energy our bodies will not reject it. PHB can be used in medicine, where the body gradually replaces PHB over time. The plastic could also be used as a material that slowly releases drugs into the body. After surgical implantation, its gradual degradation releases locked-in drugs, right at the point where they are needed most.

The main advantage of the biopolymer is that it is biodegradable and can break down in our environment. A second environmental advantage would be that when PHBs decompose, they do not release harmful toxins.
The US Navy has opted to use PHB cups so that sailors can throw them into the sea. In Japan, PHB has found its way into people's bathrooms and appears in the form of disposable razors. The discretion surrounding the whole activity requires that the razors be thrown down a toilet, and instantly flushed away. PHB's rapid degradation in sewage clearly makes it the right choice.
PHB itself exists in the cells of a staggering variety of different organisms.

There are a few disadvantages of using the biopolymer. For one, there is not enough technology to improve faster and efficient productions of PHBs. Current methods are very costly.
The environment of the bacteria must be kept and an optimum temperature.
The quality of the product may be inconsistent and the variable patterns of supply will mean price fluctuation and the material itself is rather brittle. Land degradation must be made way to produce the sources for biopolymers as well if demands reach high. Even if biodegradable plastics start to be used now and broadly, waste will not completely disappear. Land-fill sites are infamously bad at enabling anything to degrade. Paper itself lasts decades. There are not enough bacteria because there is not enough oxygen around for them to thrive. Large-scale composting facilities will be needed and these cost money.

PHB is an example of a biopolymer that is currently in development. Its properties as containers and bottles, and its medical uses make it an important plastic. Further, its biodegradability means it is also responsible to the environment and by far, the best alternative to current polymers. The problem of our landfill can be reduced and possibly solved if the introduction of biopolymers starts now. However, technology and production of these biopolymers are in its infancy and further development is needed alongside examining new ways to reduce plastic waste, will ensure that the environment stays protected for future.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
who caresif PHB is the most common, as long as u know it...its not like u will get marked down because its too common

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
there is also PHA, i did PHB though
pha is just the common name for the group of biopolymers tho... (poly - hydroxyalkanoate).... phb is the simplest form of pha...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)