• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bio qu (1 Viewer)

alx_24

HSC
hi, i have no idea about this qu for biology. Some algae that live in water have their photosynthetic cells in a layer around their outer surface. Explain the significance of this arrangement.

Matt2233

HSC
hi, i have no idea about this qu for biology. Some algae that live in water have their photosynthetic cells in a layer around their outer surface. Explain the significance of this arrangement.
Although i never did prelim bio, i'd guess they significance lies in the fact that as the cells are closer to the surface, they can absorb more light and be closer to gas exchange points, minimizing transportation or something along those lines.

You'd want to wait for someone who actually knows what they are talking about to answer though.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
well i am assuming this comes from a local ecosystem module? or either u have done it? well from that module we know that one abiotic factor that varies in aquatic and terrestrial environment is light intensity. Light does not penetrate as much through water and so when it reaches the plants its intensity is very low.

By having the photosynthetic cells outside theplants light does not have to pentrate through as much. If it is deep inside, the light that reaches it is very weak and does not provide efficient photosynthesis. Also as water is readily outside, osmosis occurs quicker as well as it does not have to go further in. Similarly carbon dioxide diffuses faster as well. Like wat matt2233 said.

It basically makes photosynthesis more efficient.

This question is asking to explain so relate cause and effect. Similar to wat i said but it needs reworking on expression. hope that helps

alx_24

HSC
thanks that really helped!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)