• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bio vs Physics vs Chem.... (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
If you do all the sciences you will get a broad understanding of the concepts, maybe you should do them for a few weeks and if one is troubling you drop it for another subject.
Some schools don't allow all sciences to be done. Actually, i think BOS only allows a maximum of 2 sciences for the hsc right?

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
BOS allows a max of 3 sciences - you can also drop one and pick up senior science. I haven't heard of any school stopping their students from picking 3 sciences. Maybe at a small school where the lines clashed, or at a school where very few people chose science - if someone wants to do all 3 aand their school won't let them, do it by correspondence or change schools:D

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
BOS allows a max of 3 sciences - you can also drop one and pick up senior science. I haven't heard of any school stopping their students from picking 3 sciences. Maybe at a small school where the lines clashed, or at a school where very few people chose science - if someone wants to do all 3 aand their school won't let them, do it by correspondence or change schools:D
6 units of science to be correct ;)
but yeah some schools timetable it purposely so that you cant pick three sciences, which is such a buttplug. As if not do 6 units of science :rolleyes:

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
6 units of science to be correct ;)
Uhhh yeah that 4 Unit Biology is killer :D - there are no science courses that are greater than 2 Unit - is this right. Even though a lot of textbooks have 2 Unit <insert science here> on their front covers for some strange reason. In the old syllabus they had 3 and 4 unit science and the scaling was good, so I assume it was for the science nerds, more so than chem or physics.
Anyone doing a science, and not doing three, is really disadvantaging themselves I think it is best to find a focus area (e.g. science and devote as much time to it as possible) this is far more important IMAO than scaling. Yeah Kimmeh who wouldn't do 3 sciences (fools I say - every last one of them - no exceptions muahaha)
Bio rocks - it is very much the underdog because so many less academic people choose it and hence it doesn't have the scaling of chem or physics but that is no reason not to choose it.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Diversity is also important.

When you pick your HSC subjects, you pick subjects that you will enjoy and as a result put enough effort in to do well.

However, a lot of people don't know whether they like Sciences until they try it.

Hence, going a few weeks or even months into the year and realising that you hate Science can have a large impact as you'd want to change into a different subject. And that's not just one subject, that is all 3.

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
That is true Ragerunner but a student should have an idea of whether or not they like science by Year 11 :p . If someone has no idea then they should pick Senior Science (even though it is a terrible subject) because otherwise they'd be competing against science freaks and would likely get very bad ranks. I still think all 3 should be chosen or none (as harsh as that does sound), even people that pick phys or chem because they are prerequisites or assumed knowledge can still benefit from bio - 1/5 of the syllabus is practically the same :D . If you diversify too much you're not using your study time efficiently and won't get the highest possible UAI you're capable of - whether or not that includes science is up to you.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
if sciences are like english then why do i suck at science? and do pretty well in english?
if science is like english, and maths is like science

then maths and english are like each other????

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by nekkid
I'd choose Bio and Physics... both require substantially less work than Chem, and are a lot easier to score higher in. That's my opinion though.
its interesting to hear the everyone thinks chem is more work than phsyic, i would have thought the opp. way

but i guess its like business studies is more work then economics but the biz studies work is heaps easier than the ecos work.

cko

HSC
yes.. there's somehting bout chem that's just so..... mean.....

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
That is true Ragerunner but a student should have an idea of whether or not they like science by Year 11 :p . If someone has no idea then they should pick Senior Science (even though it is a terrible subject) because otherwise they'd be competing against science freaks and would likely get very bad ranks. I still think all 3 should be chosen or none (as harsh as that does sound), even people that pick phys or chem because they are prerequisites or assumed knowledge can still benefit from bio - 1/5 of the syllabus is practically the same :D . If you diversify too much you're not using your study time efficiently and won't get the highest possible UAI you're capable of - whether or not that includes science is up to you.
As 'sciency' as these 3 subjects are, their course content are actually quite different.

Physics focuses more on the technology and theory behind it.
Chemistry focuses on chemical reactions.
Biology focuses on genes/evolution.

They are quite different in my opinion, so a student may not actually like certain parts of it even though he likes 'science'

But in reality, and most cases, the student will hate most of their subjects anyway regardless what it is and just force themselves to study it :p I know I did :D

cko

HSC
that's trew... coz if u think about it the way biology works is mo theory n stuf mo like eco where u study principles behind things n case studies whereas chemistry and physics are more based on calculations and reactions and the theory being more to explain how formulas came into being and how they apply to our world

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
... well do all three sciences and ecos - as economics is very similar to the physical sciences in its structure - opportunity cost, equilibrium, demand & supply - they can all be applied to the sciences. Also if you are interested in science and want to study t at a tertiary level why not choose as many sciences as BOS allows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)